Novamix 30 and Type 2

SteveB66

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes!
Hi all, just a quick one (ish). I started on Novamix 30 about a year ago and all has been good. However, the last few months my readings have been completely off my normal range and I'm hardly eating any carbs. Today I've been in the 14 s/15s all day. I've had one potatoe in terms of major carb intake (ham and egg breakfast, salad leaves + 3 tomatoes with very small oil based sachet of dressing plus small packet of cocktail sausages from m&s for lunch and pork chop, veg (carrots + spring greens) and 1 small new potatoe for dinner. Also had 2 glasses of red with dinner. My reading 1 and a half hours after are 13.4. I had 9u before. This is completely out of sync with how I've been in the past and I' used to eat bread and have much lower readings. I'm pretty worried about it - made an appointment but usual story ref availability so will need to wait longer than I'd like.

Has anyone with type 2/novamix had similar ??

Thanks for reading :)

Karen.G.

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I am on Novomix 30. Could be that insulin isn't doing you as much good as it did. How long have you been getting the higher reading?

It it's not your diet that has changed, then it could be that you either need more insulin - or bring in another tablet to help lower it.

SteveB66

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes!
I am on Novomix 30. Could be that insulin isn't doing you as much good as it did. How long have you been getting the higher reading?

It it's not your diet that has changed, then it could be that you either need more insulin - or bring in another tablet to help lower it.

Thanks for your reply - guess I'll just have to wait it out.

Weird Science

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Not sure on what insulin combos are called, I'm on insuman comb 25 but 9 units of insulin is not very much, maybe need to up your dose a tad, try for 3 days and see how you get on, try to walk / exercise as much as you can if possible also.

Hope you get sorted!!

You might not get immediate replies here as the type 2 forum gets a lot more posts I have found, but this is the number one site / forum for all things diabetes!!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Crimsonclient

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
How much novomix are you on?

Type 2 diagnosed 24/01/2013.
Novomix 30, Victoza, Simvistatin.

SteveB66

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes!
Depends but generally between 7 and 10 units. I think it's difficult to manage with a 30/70 mix - going to ask for something else. But Novamix has definitely stopped working for me now - for whatever reason, and I don't want to live on what I'm living on now for any substantial amount of time!! And I'm in no way overweight - quite the opposite. It's a shock when things work for so long and then suddenly they don't. It gets to me - but thankfully it doesn't consume me (just yet!).

Anyway, thanks for replying.

serendipity

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Needles!
Liver
Hi there, Ive been on Novomix 30 for some time (after being on Levemir, glimepiride and sitagliptin) The Novomix hasnt worked for me and Im on 60 u twice a day !
Im starting a Basal/bolus Insulin on Monday to see if that helps

Good luck

Crimsonclient

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Depends but generally between 7 and 10 units. I think it's difficult to manage with a 30/70 mix - going to ask for something else. But Novamix has definitely stopped working for me now - for whatever reason, and I don't want to live on what I'm living on now for any substantial amount of time!! And I'm in no way overweight - quite the opposite. It's a shock when things work for so long and then suddenly they don't. It gets to me - but thankfully it doesn't consume me (just yet!).

Anyway, thanks for replying.

Sorry I never saw your answer in this thread until today are you still using novomix?

NovoRapid, Lantus, Victoza, Metformin (sr), Simvistatin

Crimsonclient

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there, Ive been on Novomix 30 for some time (after being on Levemir, glimepiride and sitagliptin) The Novomix hasnt worked for me and Im on 60 u twice a day !
Im starting a Basal/bolus Insulin on Monday to see if that helps

Good luck
60 units twice a day I a lot I know coz that is how much I was taking where as I already gave changed to novo rapid and lantus. I had my diabetes review this week and my hba1c has dropped from 68 to 54 in only a couple of months

NovoRapid, Lantus, Victoza, Metformin (sr), Simvistatin

Reactions: 4 people

TooSweetForMe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I am on what is called in the USA NovoLog 70/30 mix also 60 units (at the moment) 2x daily. I am still having problems with my numbers. My breakfast and supper numbers are OK some of the time, but not often. My lunch numbers and my FBG are being stubborn. No matter what I do, my lunch PP numbers are high as well as my FBG numbers. My PCP is out for town for the next 2 weeks but she has told me to try adjusting by 2 units every 3 days until my lunch numbers and my FBG numbers come in line. I'm just scared that if I do that my breakfast and supper numbers will go too low. If it will help I will start a new thread in here with a couple of daily logs so I don't hog this thread.