Eye Test Results

Helsin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Afternoon everyone, I went for an eye test yesterday on my doc's advice, although my last one was only 9 months ago (before diagnosis). No big problems, but they did say that my eye pressure was slightly above the 'normal' level of 22 and that I should come back in a few days to see if that level changed. If not they will refer me to the hospital for further treatment. The brief explanation of this treatment I was given was that a lens would be used to decrease the pressure. Anyone with experience of this? I'm a bit phobic about eye treatment as I have been visually impaired since early childhood.

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Helsin,
I think the necessary checks when having diabetes can sometimes be more than a advantage when they pick up or detect slight problems, then treat them well before the problem becomes worse.
My eyes revealed some problems during a diabetes check up,early treatment and a few monthly visits etc; soon ensured all is now is ok.
I thought my age was the cause, I was wrong.
Hope it all goes well.
Roy:)

Helsin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Roy. I think I'm just suffering from information overload and horrible memories of childhood at eye hospitals. The women doing the eye test couldn't explain the connection between high eye pressure and diabetes, but said it wasn't related to my high blood pressure. Am I just a bomb waiting to go off in every direction?

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Roy. I think I'm just suffering from information overload and horrible memories of childhood at eye hospitals. The women doing the eye test couldn't explain the connection between high eye pressure and diabetes, but said it wasn't related to my high blood pressure. Am I just a bomb waiting to go off in every direction?
You have just reminded me of some good memories with my childhood glasses. " every time I went to my opticians with broken specks Dr Wolfe would give me threepence
images
"ok I sometimes broke my glasses purposely ,:oops:"

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

I'm 47. About, er, 15 years ago, I went for an eye test and had a bizarre reading. One eye's internal pressure was normal (I'm not sure what 'normal' is, but I think it is under 20?). The other eye was 29.

The optician repeated the test about 3 times, and then referred me to some sort of eye clinic about 80 miles away. The appointment took about 2 months to come through, so they can't have been THAT concerned.

When I turned up for the appointment they did various tests and announced that everything was normal, including the eye pressure, and they had no idea what might have caused the high pressure in one eye, that day. Never had a weird reading at an eye test since.

Confession:

Even 15 years after, I can still remember how unbelievably awful I felt the day of the eye test. In those days, I knew I was hypoglycaemic, and that I should be eating low carb, because it made me feel better. Unfortunately, I rarely did it. The night before the eye test I had binged enormously on (if I remember correctly) some kind of huge gateau with chocolate and ice cream. Massive amounts of sugar. Probably ate half the gateau, with nothing else. So at the time of the test, I had a vile, thumping, carb/food hangover. Ever had one? Then you'll know what I mean.

Morals of the story:
  • I was an idiot to glut like that :meh:
  • I think the 'hangover' affected my eye
  • I haven't had a problem since - eyesight not affected 15 yrs later

Reactions: 2 people

Helsin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for that story Brunneria. I certainly wasn't eye-poppingly full of carbs as I'm being far too careful to risk that this early in my journey, but it would be nice to have a test come back as 'no treatment needed' so I can feel half-way normal again.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No worries! I have no idea if my weird one-eye-pressure day has any relevance to your situation at all, but I hope it shows that an odd eye pressure isn't necessarily bad news...

spaceman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
ive had type 1 diabetes for nearly 2 years and havnt had an eye test , infact ive never seen my diabetic nurse at my GP surgery for the last 8 month.of cause there still send me monthly repeat perscriptions for insulin etc

Helsin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Then I expect you think I'm a big fusspot, spaceman and you may be right. Trouble is, I have no family members or friends with diabetes so I have no points of reference really.

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
ive had type 1 diabetes for nearly 2 years and havnt had an eye test , infact ive never seen my diabetic nurse at my GP surgery for the last 8 month.of cause there still send me monthly repeat perscriptions for insulin etc
Hi, Spaceman. Maybe you live to far from the test clinics, sorry for silly comment.:)
Seriously I think it is normal NHS procedure for all diabetes to have their eyes,feet etc; checked every year at least.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Hi, Spaceman. Maybe you live to far from the test clinics, sorry for silly comment.:)
Seriously I think it is normal NHS procedure for all diabetes to have their eyes,feet etc; checked every year at least.
They do mobile screening nowadays, so sounds as if spaceman has slipped through the net and needs to contact his surgery or hospital clinic for an apt.
Mind you I've only had screening once in 49 years of being type 1

Alanp35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cricket, golf
They do mobile screening nowadays, so sounds as if spaceman has slipped through the net and needs to contact his surgery or hospital clinic for an apt.
Mind you I've only had screening once in 49 years of being type 1
Just a comment folks,
If things are not happening as they should perhaps we need to own the problem and contact GP to get these things done. Minimum is a 12month review ?

Late onset T1, several auto immune issues.
Humalogmix25 twice a day, Methotrexate 25mg once per week, FolicAcid 5mg once per week, prednisolone 5mg daily, Allopurinol 300mg, Calcichew-D3 800iu, Levothyroxine 50mcg, Atenolol 50mg, Losarten 100mg, Aspirin 75mg, Nicorandil 20mg, Nitrolingual GTN spray, Metformin 2000mg, Allimemazine 10mg, Lanzoprazole 30mg, Atorvastatin 20mg, Co Codamol 8/500mg, Depo Medrone (Methylprednisolone) or double Prednisolone for 7 days in case of RA flare.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Just a comment folks,
If things are not happening as they should perhaps we need to own the problem and contact GP to get these things done. Minimum is a 12month review ?
My none screening was and is my choice.
But it should be offered to all people with diabetes.

Adele99

I've been treated for high eye pressure for nearly 40 years , due to several raised eye pressure test readings of 29/30 . This was shortly after being diagnosed as Type 1 and I was told this was fairly common. Normal treatment is using eye drops twice daily. Even on the drops my pressure sits at 22 on average and it seems my optic nerve is in tip top condition.

I've never heard of a lens being used to decrease eye pressure in all this time? Is this something new?

Helsin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Don't know much yet. They've called me back a couple of times to get an average - at 23 still slightly over, so I am waiting for a referral.