Healthy rice substitute...

peterlemer

I use quinoa when it seems appropriate. eg. a takeaway jalfrezi on quinoa is actually nicer ( and cheaper!) than with the rice they dish up :)
Half a portion for dinner on a small amount of quinoa, then the leftovers for lunch next day. Yum!

pete

S

Sable_Jan

Well I bought a packet of no-rice rice a couple of weeks ago from Holland & Barrett. And finally got up the courage to use it. Well I prepared it and instead of putting it to the side of my plate I spread it out. I make a decent beef curry and I put this on top. OMG it looks like small maggots and I think maggots would have had more taste and texture. A 4 letter word beginning with C*** comes to mind, it may be healthy but it is not for me. Going to try Quinoa next, But I think I would rather cut back on brown rice. And as for the false spaghetti I think that can go in the bin untried. Does anyone actually like this stuff??

I tried Zero noodles, boy its disgusting - doesn't really have much taste and its supposed to take up the flavour of the food - nah!! And the texture is horrible, even firmer than al dente spaghetti/pasta etc. I'd rather have a little pasta or none at all than that stuff

Reactions: 2 people
S

Sable_Jan

I like the taste and texture of Organic Wheat Grain. Don't know if this will spike folks BS and you do have to plan in advance as it needs soaking overnight but it is lovely. Maybe not for everyone I guess - I mean I DO know of people who actually like Zero Noodles I mentioned before - gave them all away on Freecycle.....to eager recipients

Madison

Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I like Eat Water's rice, noodles and pasta too...I think it's called the Slim range? I've only tried some of the recipes from their site so far, and I'm definitely a fan. I'm all for healthy diet food, or at least food that helps me not break my diet! Was what you tried slim rice? Maybe try out their recipes initially?

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
I stick to just a very small,portion of the real rice it's basmati rice for me ....only about once a week .....x

Exactly what I have always done for the last 6 years. i used to eat huge portions of rice with a meal covering the whole plate but since diabetes I just eat two or three desert spoons of BASMATI rice which is much kinder to bg levels than ordinary long grain rice.

I have always eaten basmati rice but now I just eat smaller portions.

Everything in moderation is the key for me.

K

Kat100

Exactly what I have always done for the last 6 years. i used to eat huge portions of rice with a meal covering the whole plate but since diabetes I just eat two or three desert spoons of BASMATI rice which is much kinder to bg levels than ordinary long grain rice.

I have always eaten basmati rice but now I just eat smaller portions.

Everything in moderation is the key for me.
Hi sid , yes I do the same ..I find I only want a little rice , it can work ...I love basmati rice...do you cook it , by washing all the starch out first ...then just cook untill the little holes appear on the top ...not everyone knows about washing rice ...best wishes ...Kat

Ps. Hope you are having a nice day with the sun starting to shine ...x

PSS

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We have basmati rice.

One way to reduce the starch is to boil them for 5-7 minutes in plenty of water. Once cooked strain them - most of the starch is thus thrown away and rice still taste lovely!

I find the above method of cooking basmati better then the normal way of add water and leave them to simmer for 20 minutes:)