advice needed please

waflangel

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all, a few years ago my gp advised me to reduce my sugar and to control my blood sugar by diet,the symptoms i get if i don't eat or have any sugar are, feel sick,dizzy,stomach pains feeling very faint,shakes, for the past few months at night i am so hot i cant sleep,didn't need heating on through winter as i was so warm when in bed,just recently,i had nothing to eat all day felt sick,not well at all...tested my sugars.. 15.9 was the reading at 7pm then i ordered food as i couldn't cook for feeling ill,tested later about 30 mins to 1 hour later levels back to 6.4 i only drank 5 cups of tea that day 2 sugars per cup .. How can my sugars be that high, i have booked a gp appointment as this happened again just wondered why...
thanks for any info in advance
xx angel
ps ive just had my first pair of glasses prescribed to as my vision close up goes blurry...and i am not overweight,never have been ... :/
the reason i had not eaten is because on both occasions i was extremly busy and did not make time to eat anything, normaly i eat quite well with no symptoms,i do smoke and have high cholesterol,great granparent type 1 and grandparents and uncle have type2 as for my mother she refuses to be tested so unable to clarify parent diabetes

Last edited by a moderator:

Rosemaryx

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
To much to say.
Wow,I think you are having to much sugar in your tea...I have been told that as you with draw from sugar,you will feel sick and dizzy...I used to drink 6/8 cups of tea a day with two sugars,now I don't take any,I had a few wobbly turns,but I am starting to feel really good...I am new so I don't really know that much,but I do know sugar in drinks is poison to the body...I hope you are feeling better today...xox

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Keep an eye on them, could be lada, late onset type 1. often mis diagnosed, but can be helped to control at start by diet, exercise, even some tablets at the beginning. If you could get your gp to do a gad test, (test for auto immune anti bodies) would be helpful, but, due to cost your gp may not.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Hi, welcome

If we don't eat, our liver produce glucose to fuel our bodies, but the reading is too high, the quicker you can get checked out better, try to avoid the sugar, drink plenty of water. Best of luck

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Waflangel,:)
Has the doctor confirmed that your diabetic and if so what type. If not best get them to check it out to be on the safe side during your visit..
Try to get back to your normal times etc;with regard to when and what you eat.
You will soon gets lots of help with regard to reducing sugars etc;
I would say do not jump in to fast as that also might backfire a little, but you will soon get things back on track.
caffeine does not help with sleep problems.Suppose you best try to cut down on those dreaded fags as well.
Forgot to say welcome to the forum.
Roy.:):)

FatGenes999

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Smug health care professionals; pretense, pomposity and presumptuousness; people who have a disregard for other people's health and safety; being "fenced-in"; arbitrary authority; nonsensical rules; political correctness; stupidity that masquerades as profundity.
Hi, Angel :) -------
Adding spices like cinnamon and ginger to your general diet might help control your BG, at least it does for me. Sometimes I make a separate, strong brew out of these spices to help control spikes, along with adding them to food and coffee. This levels off my BG esp. when I might want some extra fruit.
Regarding your vision, I still get vision problems even when I use aspartame in the "bad" sugar-free gum. Amazing how my system interprets the artificial sweeteners as common sugar. I watch all labels for "sugar alcohols", also.
There are two "natural" sugar-substitutes that I use sparingly on a regular basis that don't cause a spike, and are also beneficial to general health. They are coconut palm oil sugar and Xylitol.
Good luck!;)

waflangel

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
thankyou all for the advice..@ rosemary i used to have 4 sugars in a cup of tea andthat was about 20 years ago,and i don't think i take that much sugar now,i don't drink pop or juice i tend to eat savoury rather than sweet,but its just strange that eating nothing can give me a high reading ,as for everyone else i don't drink tea after 9pm or anything else but i have had a craving if sorts for something cold and fizzy and sweet but stopped myself ,i havnt been diagnosed yet just told years ago to control levels by diet after seeing gp about same symptoms and that was 20 odd years ago,i also only have half of my thyroid(not removed because of thyrodism it just had harmless growths in it) and think this may also be playing a part but when i go to see gp i will tell her what advice you've all given i am grateful for your replies and i also have a brother in law type 1 ,so i can also ask his advice on what works and what doesn't even though we might be different types... Will let you all know after ive seen gp on 2nd of may...
thankyou once again .xxx

waflangel

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
i cannot use sweetners. Ive never been able to drink sugar free stuff ad i can taste the sweetner and i never buy anything that contains aspartame ,drink something that reacts with stomach acid to produce formaldahide ... I will just stick with tea .. Lol dont even drink alcohol ... Lol

waflangel

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
@fatgenes funnily enough i have cinnamon,honey,ginger and lemon in hot water when i am ill, i was ill about 6 weeks ago with a cold,really hit me hard which was strange because i don't get colds usually only hayfever... But the above concoction made me feel better within 48 hours... And its lovely when hot ....

waflangel

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
oh and Ty all by the way for replying even though i havnt done an introduction post... I appreciate it alot xx

FatGenes999

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Smug health care professionals; pretense, pomposity and presumptuousness; people who have a disregard for other people's health and safety; being "fenced-in"; arbitrary authority; nonsensical rules; political correctness; stupidity that masquerades as profundity.
@fatgenes funnily enough i have cinnamon,honey,ginger and lemon in hot water when i am ill, i was ill about 6 weeks ago with a cold,really hit me hard which was strange because i don't get colds usually only hayfever... But the above concoction made me feel better within 48 hours... And its lovely when hot ....

:happy: Glad you are feeling better.
In fact, when I have hay fever and/or flu, or, anything that forces my my immune system to work hard, my BG readings are always higher. I am sure to double up on all of BG reduction concoctions when I am ill.

I would be careful of the honey, though, if you are truly diabetic, at least until you are sure it isn't spiking your BG.

Confused Pat

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Keep an eye on them, could be lada, late onset type 1. often mis diagnosed, but can be helped to control at start by diet, exercise, even some tablets at the beginning. If you could get your gp to do a gad test, (test for auto immune anti bodies) would be helpful, but, due to cost your gp may not.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App
Hi, I am newly diagnosed and trying get my head round it all :wacky: I also have vitiligo and psoriasis which are also auto imune diseases aso wondered what the auto imune antibodies test is that you refer to? I seem to be at my worst overnight BS then about 10.7 and cant understsnd why. Tht i had cracked when it was high after having pasta for evening meal but then has happened a few times since when not had pasta. I get awful headache, blurred vision and feel awful when wake up - any advice?

FatGenes999

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Welcome, Confused Pat:)
I know, for me, when I am having symptoms from other medical issues my BG is harder to control. hence, causing the frustration of sometimes never knowing what is causing what.

I would suggest that you follow the best diet/Rx to control your blood sugar and then try to rule-out all variables that might be causing the BG instability. Most of this is trial-and-error for the majority of us.
Good luck!

carders414

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I’ve contracted psoriasis for five years. It can’t be cured no matter what I try. I even dare not wear short-sleeved clothes in summer, because I’m afraid that others see the psoriasis on my body. I can’t fall asleep every day because it’s too itchy. I can’t even scratch it. It’s worse than death. I’ve been fired every time I find a job, all because of it. Staying all at home like ****, I’d rather die. How I wish I could get rid of the hateful psoriasis and live the life of a normal person.After months’ treatment, the psoriasis on my body disappeared gradually. The pains and itches were all gone. For me, normal life had finally returned. if you have the same problem with me, please talk to the doctors on the website of vitiligotcm for more skin treatment.