My first blood reading.Please help.

Rosemaryx

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
To much to say.
I did have a funny turn last week,I was in Tesco,and the pharmist said I was having a false hypo as my body is getting used to the new diet,she gave me a glucose sweet,and after a good cry,my headache eased,and the hot flush went,what makes people have hypos if they are eating correct...And Ty all for explaining things to me...xox

Charles Robin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I did have a funny turn last week,I was in Tesco,and the pharmist said I was having a false hypo as my body is getting used to the new diet,she gave me a glucose sweet,and after a good cry,my headache eased,and the hot flush went,what makes people have hypos if they are eating correct...And Ty all for explaining things to me...xox
The problem with diabetes is that it's not an exact science. We constantly have to adapt to our bodies changing. Perhaps usually you walk to the shops. For instance, Insulin absorption can change based on how much exercise you do. If you were to walk all day, your body would become more sensitive to insulin, possibly for a number of days. The best we can do is take an educated guess on how much insulin (or other diabetic medication) we need, based on our day's activity and food. Sometimes we all get it wrong, but the longer you have diabetes, the better you will get at managing it. Keeping a supply of glucose on you at all times is an extremely good idea. Hopefully hypos will be a rarity for you. However, when it comes to emergency glucose, it's better to have it and not need it, rather than need it and not have it.

Reactions: 2 people

Mrs Vimes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Poor you rosemary, hypos are just horrible. A false hypo is caused by your body being used to running at higher than normal blood sugars for a time. So when you eat to sort out your blood sugars your body is not used to dealing with lower sugars.

So a normal hypo would be less than 4 but if you have been running high, a false hypo may happen for you say at 6.
Don't give up though, your body will adjust. Xxxx

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 4 people

Charles Robin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The problem with diabetes is that it's not an exact science. We constantly have to adapt to our bodies changing. Perhaps usually you walk to the shops. For instance, Insulin absorption can change based on how much exercise you do. If you were to walk all day, your body would become more sensitive to insulin, possibly for a number of days. The best we can do is take an educated guess on how much insulin (or other diabetic medication) we need, based on our day's activity and food. Sometimes we all get it wrong, but the longer you have diabetes, the better you will get at managing it. Keeping a supply of glucose on you at all times is an extremely good idea. Hopefully hypos will be a rarity for you. However, when it comes to emergency glucose, it's better to have it and not need it, rather than need it and not have it.
That comment about walking to the shops was meant to be followed by an example where you drive instead, so your blood sugars might go a bit high. Oops!

Rosemaryx

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
To much to say.
Thanks to you all...I am off to have my dinner,I will post back later with my readings if you don't mind...xox Not feeling so alone now,it's wonderful what a chat can do.

Reactions: 4 people

Charles Robin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks to you all...I am off to have my dinner,I will post back later with my readings if you don't mind...xox Not feeling so alone now,it's wonderful what a chat can do.
Sure thing. If you also post what you had for dinner, and how much insulin you gave yourself it will help to complete the picture.

Rosemaryx

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
To much to say.
I posted my dinner in the second post I think,and I just tested and it showed 6.2 Befor I ate,I will test again at 8.30 pm.

Rosemaryx

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
To much to say.
Just done another reading 2 hours after I have eating and it was 8...Maybe it was the new potatoes...It's all so confusing.Does that mean no more new potatoes for me...Two hours before I ate I was 6 .2 and now 8 ,is that not a big jump,am I expecting to much from myself,this is my 3rd week of low carbs and eating full fat...If I had a few strawberries with some Greek young art,won't that just make my sugar go higher,ok,I will stop with asking things,am doing me own head in...xox

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Rosemary,

A score of 8 isn't bad. The desired target level is 7.8 or under, and the NHS guideline is under 8.5, although many experts believe this is too high. You are only just over the 7.8. You mustn't be hard on yourself. Did you weigh your potatoes? It makes a difference because if you eat starchy carbs like potatoes it's all about portion control. Some people can cope with a small portion of potatoes and some can't. I don't think 8 is too bad at your stage in learning.

Rosemaryx

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
To much to say.
I had 4 but chopped them in half,so I ate 4 small halfs and left the others for tomorrows dinner,but I think I won't eat them again...So I shouldn't be panic then lol,am scared to eat again to night,I bought some Strawberrys and cream ,and some dark chocolate to have for dessert,but am scared to eat it...Am scared it will go up some more...Thank you for replying to me...xox

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had 4 but chopped them in half,so I ate 4 small halfs and left the others for tomorrows dinner,but I think I won't eat them again...So I shouldn't be panic then lol,am scared to eat again to night,I bought some Strawberrys and cream ,and some dark chocolate to have for dessert,but am scared to eat it...Am scared it will go up some more...Thank you for replying to me...xox

Please don't be scared of eating your favourite foods until you are sure your body can't cope with them. You have to sustain this diet for life. As you have saved half your potatoes you can weigh them. Your level only went up from 6.2 to 8.

This is the NHS guidance:

Before meal
non-diabetic 4 to 5.9
Type 2 4 to 7

2 hours after meal
non-diabetic under 7.8
Type 2 under 8.5

You are well within the NHS guidance range. You can set yourself a target to meet the non-diabetic range as many people on here do, but you won't always hit that target. Please don't frighten yourself to death.

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
I haven't had a dessert for 10 weeks. I don't miss it anymore. Honest.

Rosemaryx

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
To much to say.
Good morning everyone...I ate my Strawberrys,cream and 2 squares of dark chocolate,I just woke up after 9 hours sleep and tested,my levels 7.2 . Thank you for replies,I will be looking at them recipes when I get back...Have a good day all...xox

Reactions: 7 people

Rosemaryx

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
To much to say.
After eating the same food that I ate for dinner last night,my levels have gone up to 9.2 ,this is not good,I will have to start weighing my food,I don't even know how many carbs am allowed...Got quite a road in front of me to climb...I wonder if my sugar will ever settle,and if so,how long will it take...