Omnipod assistance please

sw11bloke

I am new to the Omnipod. Started last Tuesday and am a long way off tuning my basal rates so been running a bit higher than usual.
Ive gone through 3 pods since Friday. My first pod was on my abdomen and lasted right through till expiry. My 2nd pod was placed on my tricep. It got knocked off when I walked through a doorway. I then put a new one on the same arm but as soon as i changed it, it started beeping and I had to change pods. I then put another pod on my lower back. that lasted from Friday evening till now. I ended up knocking that one off too.

Is this normal for other users? Or is this normal when you first start wearing them? Do you eventually get used to wearing it and then automatically take more care? I feel so guily that I have knocked 2 pods off me as I know they cast about £20 each.

Any tips from other pod users would be really helpfull.
How many pods do people go through in a week? Do you fill your pod up to the maximum each time or do you only fill it up with a certain amount because you know the pod wont last 2/3 days?
I just hate myself wasting insulin too.

Alzibiff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It's a shame that there were no replies to this post which might indicate that there are are not very many Omnipod users out there. However .... to sw11bloke - how are things going?

Alan

Duncan woods

Hi , I would like to get an omnipod , but was told they were too expenive , at the first time of asking , they did say they would look at me Contributing the Difference in costs from a normal pump , I was wondering which nhs trust you got yours from , I am in Exeter , Devon . Thanks Duncan

sw11bloke

I am happy to say that the problems I had were just down to me. i have not had a failed pod since and am happy to say that its all going perfectly well. Its really changed my life and my diabetes. Im averaging readings in the 6 to 8's where as before my average BG was between 8 and 13. I used to have hypo symptoms at 5 or 6 and nowdays, I can be between 2.7 and 3.5 and still feel normal. It is a little worrying tho but I used to have the worst hypos while on Lantus and Humalog. Since being on the pump, my hypos recover much quicker and I no longer panic and over treat. I feel fine just having 3 or 4 mouthfulls of lucozade and a biscuit even when 2.7 and then knowing my levels will be back up within 5 minutes.
The omnipod had put me in control again and has made diabetes management so easy. The first month was hard because I had to fast and had to fine tune my pdm but now that Im running stable sugars, Im managing well. Im only fine tuning now by minor tweaks every couple of weeks. i change my pod every 3 days which takes 5 minutes. Not having any tubing is also amazing (as I did try a medtronic pump a few years back).

@Duncan Woods - I live in Wandsworth so Chelsea and Westminster diabetes clinic made the application to Wandsworth CCG formerly called PCT.
I cannot understand why they say its more expensive when I highly doubt it is. A pump costs about £3000 initial cost without any cunnulas, reservoirs etc. The layout for the Omnipod is only the cost of the PDM which is about £280.
Chelsea and westminster carried out a basic calculation of costs. The Omnipod over a 2 year period VS a tubed pump is only about £100 more in TOTAL costs. That £100 is nothing if you consider the freedom and quality of life you get from the Omnipod. There are so many more places you can wear it. Its not an intimacy killer. You dont have to share your bed with all this tubing and a device. For a man.... its hard to wear the tubed pump as it always has to be on your belt where its visible to everyone.
Duncan.... if you fight hard enough, you will get the Omnipod. You have a right to treatment that is right for you. My application was refused but i fought for it. I even got my MP involved. they cannot really refuse you if this treatment is right for you and if you fit the NICE guidelines.
I said to them that if its cost, Id meet the £100 but in the end they approved my funding.
Aslo, not all diabetic clinics work with Ypsomed / Omnipod. I used to go to Kings and they dont seem to work with them so changing to Chelsea and Westminster helped. Find out from Omnipod which clinics close to you work with them.[mailto:[email protected]]

Hope that helps

Reactions: 2 people

Sarahfergo

Hi I'm on the accu chec pump and it's useless for me as it leaks and have occlusions all the time so they putting me on the omnipod on Wednesday I'm so excited because I've heard such good things with it also the no tubing no priming no inserting a needle sounds great not only will I be restricted with what I wear now as you have to clip the pump onto clothes but the omnipod just sticks to you :))) can I ask how did you manage your fasting? I always struggle with that x

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

sw11bloke

i dont fast all day. I skip 1 meal in a day and you dont need to fast as in go hungry. I ate checken breast, sheese, peanuts or salad if i was hungry as those do not really affect your blood sugar

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Fasting doesnt/shouldnt be 14 hours.....

Ive been on the Medtronic for 4 years now and due an upgrade. Im looking into this or the Accu check Combo. I like the idea of the tubeless though as It will feel more 'normal'. How much does it stick out when your wearing more fitted clothing?

sw11bloke

it hardly sticks out at all. Its 1.5cm thick. If I wear it say on my arm and I wear a fitted t shirt, I sometimes notice it but nobody else does. You could wear it on so may areas so if you plan ahead, it shoulddnt be an issue at all. I would highly recomend it.

Cozmo1

The pods work out more expensive over the 4 year period that we have the other pumps....if my Maths is right! £2850 for a pump for 4 years plus the average cost of cannulas and reservoirs of £1500 per year equals £8850 compared to the cost of the pods and hand set. If the pods cost only £20 each then that's an average of 10 pods per month so £200 x 48 = £9600 + £285 for the handset= £9885 give or take a few £'s. I'd been told the pods are differently priced in different areas.......some being £30 per pod. They are a good idea if you don't like the tubing.......and what price better health!!!

sw11bloke

Chelsea and westminster carried out a study of pricing between tubed pumps and the Omnipod. There was only £100 difference in price between the two. The initial outlay is higher for a tubed pump but in overall comparison the Omnipod was only £100 more.
Then if you look at the advantages of the Omnipod, they far outweigh the advantages over a tubed pump and the quality of life wearing the Omnipod is far greater. You can also wear it on far more areas on the body, it self inserts with the push of a button.

Diabetes is a really tough disease so the CCG needs to consider quality of life VS price too. Throw in this argument and theres no reason anyone should be turned down and ESPECIALLY if you offer to pay that £100 difference. How can they say no?

bluntneedle

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am new to the Omnipod. Started last Tuesday and am a long way off tuning my basal rates so been running a bit higher than usual.
Ive gone through 3 pods since Friday. My first pod was on my abdomen and lasted right through till expiry. My 2nd pod was placed on my tricep. It got knocked off when I walked through a doorway. I then put a new one on the same arm but as soon as i changed it, it started beeping and I had to change pods. I then put another pod on my lower back. that lasted from Friday evening till now. I ended up knocking that one off too.

Is this normal for other users? Or is this normal when you first start wearing them? Do you eventually get used to wearing it and then automatically take more care? I feel so guily that I have knocked 2 pods off me as I know they cast about £20 each.

Any tips from other pod users would be really helpfull.
How many pods do people go through in a week? Do you fill your pod up to the maximum each time or do you only fill it up with a certain amount because you know the pod wont last 2/3 days?
I just hate myself wasting insulin too.

Hi,
Yes you do get used to giving that extra Inch when walking through doors. Have an Omni know for 9Months. I do not fill it full, you have to work out how much Insulin you are using in three days and add a little in case you crave a Mars or a couple of Big Mac's. I only wear mine on the arms of course you have to develop a system so that your tending to place in the same place every three days. Good luck

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have been on an Omnipod for last month, trialling it for my local hospital. Been on a Combo for two years. Given the chance I would move over to Omnipod :)

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've got a question on the Omnipod, as i'm looking at pumps ahead of a pump choice clinic in May.

With teh omnipod, it looks like you replace the whole thing every 3 days?

Do you fill it with insulin each time, as that would seem quite wasteful to me as I'm on less than 20 units a day right now in total, and I think that woudl come down with a pump as the basal is generally lower. I can't get into my head the thought of throwing away 150+ units of good insulin every few days.

Also is it CGM enabled if I go down that route?

kt78

Hi ElyDave
I've been using the Omnipod for about 3 years now, and I love it, the best diabetes choice I've ever made!

You do, however, need to put 150 units of insulin in and you do throw the whole pod away after 72 hours. You also may find it unsuitable because the minimum basal rate is is .05 u/h whereas tubed devices can go as low as .025 u/h.

Good luck on your pump journey, once you find the pump that's right for you you will never look back!

(Oh, and it isn't cgm compatible, Ypsomed were working with Dexcom (I use their g4 platinum) for a bit but not any more. I tried the Medtronic pump and cgm and found it really inaccurate, the g4 is a game changer, I wouldn't use another cgm and don't know anyone who would!)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

paulawhite

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have an omnipod and don't have to fill it to 150_ units and mine works fine. I'm glad m not the only one tho who seems to have lost warning symptoms. I have been at 2.7 recently and didn't even notice and also I have to agree I recover so much a quicker and with less panic with this pump than before...strange. I have however walked through small spaces and knocked it but fortunately not off. I love my pump and wouldn't ever go back. Highly recommend the omnipod ☺

sammi4688

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ive been on the Omnipod now for about a month. Has anyone else noticed weight gain????