Help!! Husband Newly Diagnosed type 2, what do I feed him??

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
How tall is he skippy? I am 6ft and still 16 stone (was about 20) I am well into the obese range and must lose a lot more weight,

spaceman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,
My husband has been diagnosed as type 2 for less than a week. I have read some on the posts on here and find all the info very confusing. My question is what do I feed him on a day to day basis including snacks? He doesn't like milk and veg but likes some types of fruit, he loves nuts and cheese. Can he still eat things such as Nutella, sausages, bacon? Can I bake him some sugar free biscuits? What about the diabetic chocolate and sweets available to buy?
Thanks in advance
Skippy84[/QU

spaceman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,
My husband has been diagnosed as type 2 for less than a week. I have read some on the posts on here and find all the info very confusing. My question is what do I feed him on a day to day basis including snacks? He doesn't like milk and veg but likes some types of fruit, he loves nuts and cheese. Can he still eat things such as Nutella, sausages, bacon? Can I bake him some sugar free biscuits? What about the diabetic chocolate and sweets available to buy?
Thanks in advance
Skippy84
im a type 1 and my partners a type 2 you dont need special diabetic food.our diabetic nurse told us to eat what you want but in small qtys, we still eat sweets chocolate, chrisps, pies, currys,fish and chips,apples,bananas, but not grapefruits, meat,bacon,sausages,cakes,

spaceman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
im a type 1 and my partners a type 2 you dont need special diabetic food.our diabetic nurse told us to eat what you want but in small qtys, we still eat sweets chocolate, chrisps, pies, currys,fish and chips,apples,bananas, but not grapefruits, meat,bacon,sausages,cakes,
go to your local hospital diabetic clinic theres loads of good booklets there lieing around on tables

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
His BMI is ~43 (~41 if we take off the 5kg) which puts him into the morbidly obese (>40) range given the data you provided. Although excellent work on the 5 kg. By reducing his weight his blood glucose will improve so well done and keep it going. Sorry about hearing he is suffering though. Hope it isn't too painful.

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
My husband is 34, yes he is overweight (don't know his BMI, but he's about 25 stone ish) and before this diagnosis he was referred to the NHS Health Trainer Service and is awaiting an appointment. He is aware he needs to loose weight and is taking his best steps to do this.

His diet varies if he's working he has a mcdonalds breakfast with a coffee, he will have a sandwich or some other convenience food eg KFC then when he comes home i cook a meal for us both. When he's on rest days he will have a sausage or bacon sandwich or Belvita breakfast biscuit, lunch would be a ham toastie or something like that, then something like chili con carne and roast potatoes or curry and roast potatoes or fajitas or gammon and roast potatoes. He's not a fan of rice or pasta or mashed/boiled potatoes, it tends to be bread he eats, if he's hungry he will get a nutella sandwich as a snack. He also has a very sweet tooth, am going to get some almond and coconut flour to try the recipes people have suggested.

When he's not at work he drinks either carbonated water, tap water, flavored no added sugar water or no added sugar dilute juice. When he's at work he has several coffee's a day, his job involves a lot of time sat in a car so this doesn't help either.

He doesn't like any veg apart from onions and mushrooms. Very tricky to find him healthy stuff to eat!
Hi Skippy,
From another big lad (6"4').Sorry but the Maccy D's, KFCr*p, belvita and sandwihes are all pretty bad news, as i the nuttela!
Despite what some say you will find it hard to manage the D on them as I have found that the "you can eat anything you like" advice usually comes with the caveat that your BGs will suffer and you end up on Insulin/sulphonylureas (with the added hastle of having to test while driving).The best breads for cutting down the carbs are Burgen Soya & Linseed or LivLife. I personally find chickpea floor is good for making flatbreads.
I would advise getting a BG meter, so he can check foods for himself.

Reactions: 2 people

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Now why would you want to eat sweets, crisps, bananas and other things that are really bad for bg, but not eat meat, bacon or sausages? I prefer bacon, butter, sausage and cheese over bananas any day of the week.

Reactions: 4 people

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
I am a low carb high fat like aTotto and am also shocked you would say to eat the foods you do and ignore foods that are good for you ...you do not appear to be vegitarians.

The t1 can "get away" with lots as they inject insulin but even then a lot do lchf so they can inject less.

Do you have a meter l am guessing not but if so but would be interested to know what your pre and post readings are for the sweets bananas et al you eat.
l am unimpressed with your dn but the majority are like her and as they wont suffer your ill health they can give advice like that.

The problem is that if you cut yourself you see a problem feel ouch....with diabetes you only see numbers and feel nothing so nothing seems to matter.
Often first signs of a problem like tingling or bad eyes are missed there is nothing to link it to the diabetes so it is ignored.

Let me guess your dn said your partner doesnt need to test as a t2.
Do you test as a t1 or just inject 2x a day with pre told amount...l know a similar couple to you who have also had appaling advice from the outset.

I dont know how many t2 on here do not test but l would guess that a lot (l am not allowed to say the majority) who may not initally test soon start and adjust their diets and ignore their dn and dr advice

Reactions: 5 people

DiabeticinTX

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi I live in USA and have Type 2. I was diagnosed about a year ago. My doctor told me to avoid "white" carbs like potatoes, white rice and white bread and of course, sugar. Nutella is the worst! I think the first ingredient is sugar. For a "sweet" snack or dessert, I eat a handful of natural almonds with some dried cranberries or cherries or a banana. Instead of a large meal (especially at lunch), I eat a small lunch - one of my favorites is a romaine lettuce leaf with flavored cream cheese (chive/onion) and some slices of smoked turkey deli meat rolled up. Then, I make sure I have a morning snack at work and an afternoon snack - something small - fruit is fine even if it has a high sugar content because if it is natural it also has FIBER which slows down the sugar spike. But, it is even better if you combine it with a small amount of cheese or nuts. A typical mid afternoon snack for me would be an apple with either 2 tbsp. of natural peanut butter or a piece of string cheese. I really also love soup now. It is light but has all kinds of different veggies and doesn't spike my sugar level. Breakfast is a must - eggs are okay, I would avoid cereal unless it is whole grain. Good luck! Also, when preparing dinner for the family, you can pretty much do the same things except cut out the carbs or switch to wheat pasta and brown rice. Sometimes I make two veggies with my meat and skip starch altogether. If he has to have potatoes, small red ones are best.

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
Do you test your blood
Hi I live in USA and have Type 2. I was diagnosed about a year ago. My doctor told me to avoid "white" carbs like potatoes, white rice and white bread and of course, sugar. Nutella is the worst! I think the first ingredient is sugar. For a "sweet" snack or dessert, I eat a handful of natural almonds with some dried cranberries or cherries or a banana. Instead of a large meal (especially at lunch), I eat a small lunch - one of my favorites is a romaine lettuce leaf with flavored cream cheese (chive/onion) and some slices of smoked turkey deli meat rolled up. Then, I make sure I have a morning snack at work and an afternoon snack - something small - fruit is fine even if it has a high sugar content because if it is natural it also has FIBER which slows down the sugar spike. But, it is even better if you combine it with a small amount of cheese or nuts. A typical mid afternoon snack for me would be an apple with either 2 tbsp. of natural peanut butter or a piece of string cheese. I really also love soup now. It is light but has all kinds of different veggies and doesn't spike my sugar level. Breakfast is a must - eggs are okay, I would avoid cereal unless it is whole grain. Good luck! Also, when preparing dinner for the family, you can pretty much do the same things except cut out the carbs or switch to wheat pasta and brown rice. Sometimes I make two veggies with my meat and skip starch altogether. If he has to have potatoes, small red ones are best.
Do you test your blood with a meter? Some of the things you mention such as bananas and cereal, pasta and rice, wholemeal brown or otherwise can cause quite large spikes for me.
Oops ust read your profile and see you are on medication.

Last edited by a moderator:

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It is bad for your teeth to snack all the time. Better to eat proper, filling meals. I was brought up not to snack as this, I was told, would spoil my appetite and it is true. Now I eat two or three meals a day and have all my teeth still. And very good bg control as well on LCHF. Loosing weight too.

Reactions: 4 people

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
Remember that many of us are not on medication. Eating like that would send our BG through the roof.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Remember that many of us are not on medication. Eating like that would send our BG through the roof.
Agree with the sentiments entirely above. Even as a type 1 on a pump I could never have that food without huge possibiltys of severe swings in levels.