Possibility to change readings on a monitor

Karmamel

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good morning all.

I've recently sent my 14 year olds daughters blood glucose levels to her diabetic nurse . The nurse said she was quite concerned as many of her readings throughout the day are exactly the same and are concerned that Megan maybe changing the readings on her monitor . I wasn't even aware this could be done . She is using the accu chek expert meter . Is this possible anyone ??

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In the old days kids use to do their diary for the 3 mths an hour before the appointment

There is a lot of pressure on kids to 'get it right' sometimes it's better to just be there for a hug and a ***** about diabetes

Karmamel

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh don't worry jack we do . Just wanted to know if it was possible to change results on the monitor as I didn't think it was and feel it's a bit of an injustice to her if I start standing over her shoulder like it's been suggested ?

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No not standing over her shoulder and not directed at you. It's the general pressure kids feel and a pass and fail by their numbers. If she can hook it to a computer my guess is she can not only change numbers she can get it to even sing a song
It seems a lot of teens have trouble with their numbers and are all over the place when the hormones hit

You could mention the forum to her or a Facebook group she can talk to other diabetic kids her age

There is an online course and workbooks to download as a refresher
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/newly-diagnosed.60873/#post-583801

Last edited by a moderator:

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I expect somebody might be able to change the readings on the meter but I'm not sure how. If you were doing that surely you would put in plausible readings
However, if you test the same fluid each time then you will get similar readings. Here is what one paediatric endocrinologist says
'They use regular soda, juices, and my personal favorite -- control solution! '
The HbA1c though will show what the real average level is. If the HbA1c seems to be way out then it's something to investigate (very difficult)
http://diabeticdoc.blogspot.fr/2013/07/diabetes-how-to-cheat.html

Last edited by a moderator:

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning all.

I've recently sent my 14 year olds daughters blood glucose levels to her diabetic nurse . The nurse said she was quite concerned as many of her readings throughout the day are exactly the same and are concerned that Megan maybe changing the readings on her monitor . I wasn't even aware this could be done . She is using the accu chek expert meter . Is this possible anyone ??

I know I can't delete or change any readings on my iBGStar meter, and I suspect the same on the Codefree. Where I can alter is when I download data from the iBGStar to a file format (which can be emailed etc.). That file is in .csv format, and is usually opened in Excel. Once open, it's editable, like any other.

I'm in no way suggesting your daughter is doing this, but answering you question.

For myself, a much more mature (chronologically anyway!), T2, I have a tight range, with, at the moment, everything returning to 4.1. I understand it's relatively unusual to have as tight a range as I do, and probably moreso for a T1, with raging hormones in play, but I'm sure it's possible.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
i use the contour next usb meter, and I cant change the readings, i don't think it is possible to be honest..........maybe manipulating the readings with a drop of non diabetic blood....

my readings are actually sent to my pump too, which can then be sent on to the medtronic website, there are similar PC suites that can be used to produce a blood glucose diary........that might be easier for her to do, and possibly more accurate.....

Karmamel

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for your replies . We use the PC suite with her monitor but I upload readings to send off . I think the reason diabetic nurse is thinking results are being changed is because her hba1c level is currently 10.6 . Daily readings however are between 5 and 6 with a few higher readings of 11 and 13 . They can't understand why her overall level is so high based on those readings . They have said it's quite unusual for her levels to be exactly the same on a few results ? . You have certainly put my mind at rest thank you .

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
An HbA1c of 10.6% equates to an average blood sugar level of 14.3 mmol/l - so something is going wrong!

Best

Dillinger

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I use the Accu-Chek Aviva Expert and there is no way of changing the meter readings once they have been recoreded, tbh I've never had a meter where you could change them.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm sorry, because I hate to say this but if she tests frequently then your DN is right to explore all possibilities ; 10.6% isn't normally a result that you could get from mainly 5s and 6s with a few spikes of 11 and 13 It equates to an estimated average of 14.3mmol/l . There has to be some explanation.
Are there perhaps times after meals when she isn't testing and goes high?

I don't know if you read the link to the endocrinologist blog and the comments, faking results is possible, it's common and I think completely understandable, which is why it is the first thing to look at

ealingr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I agree with the comments about there being pressure on kids to "get it right" when it comes to testing. But I also think they may want to say blood glucose levels are better than they really are just to avoid the perceived "fuss" a high/low BG can sometimes cause . Given the choice between saying BG is 12 and having a "why do you think that is?" or "shouldn't you take a correction dose?" conversation or saying BG is 6 and being able to move on with whatever they're doing, I could understand a teenager opting for the second choice. Even more so if teenage hormones mean BGs are all over the place, so the teenager has no idea why levels are out of whack. Also, you sound like a caring parent, so perhaps your daughter knows how much you want her BG levels to be controlled and is either altering the readings/using control solution to give lower readings, or deliberately testing only at times she knows she has "good" BGs, because she doesn't want you to worry.

Regardless of what the meter is saying and whether it is accurate/altered, there is no question that your daughter's HBA1C is relatively high. I would expect the HBA1C to be her DSN's concern, rather than whether or not your daughter is changing her readings. I think the suggestion of getting your daughter to read some of the forums for kids with diabetes is a good idea, as it may help to give her ideas on helping get better control. The other thing you might want to try is actually stepping back from her diabetes management a bit, and perhaps letting her have 1:1 time with her DSN without you there to discuss her relatively high HBA1C and some ways to manage it? You said that you upload the readings and had the conversation with the DSN, but perhaps it would be better for your daughter to manage the upload and speak to her DSN directly? Most teenagers are fairly independent, and ultimately it is what your daughter does that will most influence her BG levels.

Reactions: 2 people

Tracey167

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi My daughter is 11 years and was diagnosed t1 august 2013. recentley changed her meter to a aviva expert to help her in secondary school working out her insulin levels with her lunch and there is NO WAY you can change the glucose levels, i also use the aviva expert meter for my t1 so i know the meter inside out and there is no way you could get around adjusting what the meter says. For my own back up i brought a SMART PIX for my aviva you can transfer all you sugar levels to your computer and print off 12 weeks of sugar levels and i use this as proof for me and my daughter at hospital appointments. It may be worth investing in one if you haven't got one already.
I think the diabetic nurse has a cheek saying that she obviously doesn't know much about the glucose meters maybe she needs a bit more training.

tracey167

iHs

There might be a chance that yr daughter is getting one of her friends for the bg test??

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
You can't change the readings, but you can change the time forward, and 'pre-load' the next few readings,on mine, with a good result, or a drop of someone else's blood. At least you can on mine, but it's fiddly.
Even then it's unlikely to have the same result, as I rarely get the same result one test to the next, if I want to check a result.

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
There might be a chance that yr daughter is getting one of her friends for the bg test??

That crossed my mind too...I've heard of that happening.

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
or using a control solution? - thats not unheard of. Does your hospital loan CGMs even if only 5 days. No messing with that!