Share Your Progress!

viv53

:):)
Hi
Since being diagnosed with T2 at the end of last year, I have started a programme of exercise and low GL diet. I am really chuffed with myself as I have lost 4.5kilos since January and things are stable at present. So things are going well at present for me.
Hi had my check in May and my level was down to 5. Perhaps you guys can help - I seem to get periods in between meals when I feel very tired and a bt "wobbly" - do you think this is due to my levels falling and rising - what can I do about it

iancam

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My Dad has been battling with Type 2 diabetes for 10 years. He developed complications including Charcot's foot and atrial fibrillation. With all this he still works long night shifts. He was beginning to give up and believed there was no where to go. It was then that my brother and I decided to make a film about trying to fix him. Since November 2013 he has lost 5 stone, he is off the majority of his meds and he is in training to complete a 100 mile cycle ride at the end of August. He cycled 70 miles yesterday and felt he could do more. His blood sugar levels are under control and he now believes he is capable of so much more. Google 'Fixing Dad' to see more about our documentary.

Reactions: 8 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I just watched this, 'fixing dad'. In tears. Your love for your Dad, shines through. Particularly poignant is the clip where one of you is holding him steady whilst he is on his bike. That is a right of passage sort of in reverse, something dads do with their kids until they can be confident enough to go it alone.
I hope this film gets wider publicity. It should be seen by as many people as possible. T2diabetes can be conquered.
I hope you, your brother, and Dad go on to share many happy healthy active times together.

Thank you for sharing this
Be well
Pipp

birchy66

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just got my latest Hba1c and it's now 6.9%, which I am very pleased with. It seems to have stabilised as last time it was 6.8% and before that 7%.
I'm seeing the consultant at the hospital on Monday so hope all goes well.

I've managed to maintain my weight just below 13 stone which considering I was just under 15 stone when diagnosed with Type 1 15 months ago is not too bad.

However I've had to be strict with my diet and keep the carbs down to around 130g to 190g, which I think has helped. I feel pretty good too. Hope it continues!

Reactions: 4 people

BunnyBabe

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Prejudice, Twilight and no snacks :(
HbA1c is 7.6 :)
Diagnosed type one nearly five months ago and feeling quite chuffed!!!!!
Still not sure about what HbA1c means though?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

mjd46

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My Dad has been battling with Type 2 diabetes for 10 years. He developed complications including Charcot's foot and atrial fibrillation. With all this he still works long night shifts. He was beginning to give up and believed there was no where to go. It was then that my brother and I decided to make a film about trying to fix him. Since November 2013 he has lost 5 stone, he is off the majority of his meds and he is in training to complete a 100 mile cycle ride at the end of August. He cycled 70 miles yesterday and felt he could do more. His blood sugar levels are under control and he now believes he is capable of so much more. Google 'Fixing Dad' to see more about our documentary.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

nmr1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Had a sort of desperate day when I looked up diets that could somehow reverse type 1 diabetes and people have had their luck with it, but i'm not completely convinced that it's true. I followed the guidelines of a paleo diet which was low-carb and high in fat and protein content, easy enough but most protein come in the form of meats that I really dislike, the only meats I'd willingly eat would be the processed meats like pepperami, microwave dinners etc. Nuts were also the favourable diet within the plan however I have a history of hating all types of nut, where my body would just reject it, last few days, i've tried to eat almonds, but anything resembling nuts or have the consistency of them would easily prompt my brain to think the body should stay away from them.

The Paleo diet was also the method from which I hoped to gain weight aswell, but it seemed to be aimed at healthy people who will fare well against a low calorie paleo diet consisting of salad, nuts, unprocessed meats, variety of fruit and vegetables (choosing less starchy options like bananas, coconut, greens), which thus would also benefit obese people who want to lose weight.

Right now i'm just sticking to a protein rich diet, which comes in the form of the following as well as carb count:
GDA of carbohydrates is 200g, of which sugars are 60g - I lowered the amount since I genuinely think it should be lowered for both genders especially with diabetes. I'm not sure on the policy of how much sugar a type 2 diabetic can consume each day so should be disregarded.

No Breakfast - although it might be important, i usually have a diet drink and cereal bar or have a rest in the morning, thats if I wake up in the morning. 0g - 15g (89 kcal)

Brunch or before Lunch - might have a cup of soup, fruit or cereal bar and rest. 35g (135 kcal)

Lunch - usually have a pot noodle, cereal bar, or crisps, or all of them, with a diet drink or protein shake. 65g (200 kcal)

Dinner - usually cook from microwave, things like pasta, pizza, rice, chips, vegetable/meat pies. 70g (400 kcal)

Sometimes have a yoghurt, rice pudding or other desserts which I always have in moderation.

Ramesh hirani

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi
I was diagnosed with T2 diabetes just over a year ago.
When diagnosed my hba1c was 13.9 and my morning fasting was 22.0
It was a real shock for me as i'm not over weight and generally stay in good shape.
It did not want to go on medication so I read up on reversal program's. Two good books I read was Gabriel cousins, revering diabetes and Neal Banard also revering diabetes. Following there diet plan i manage to get my hba1c down to 7.0 and fasting sugars down to between 6.8 and 8.0 although a good improvement still not really a reversal and diet was too restrictive and in the end unmanageable.
This year I attended a diabetes reversal 3 week workshop. This workshop was the answer for me in many ways.
Firstly they spent a lot of time teaching us cooking methods and technics so you don't have to restrict your diet and still control and lower your sugars. I started eating potatoes again!
Second, everyone on the course gradually lowered there bloods and started coming off there meds. There were long term suffers for 10plus years on metformin, insulin, cholesterol and blood pressure medication. All stopped there meds by end of the course. It was truly amazing to see.
My hba1c is now 5.2 and morning fasting sugars are now never above 5.5 but regularly around 4.8-5.2. Even after eat sweet items etc.
this is true reversal and I am greatful I stuck it out. Knowing what I know now I see what it take to reverse, not manage, diabetes and everyone can do it.
I'm trying to organise a one day workshop in London to share the principles so all can benefit.
I wish you all success.

peecee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
since joining this forum and finding lo-carbing i went from 15st 4lb to 13st 8lbs and 02/10/2012 80.0 9.5% to a bg reading of 6.0 no HbA1c in last 2 visits "wrong time for blood reading"and this is with out eating less amounts just limiting to 50gram-ish of carbs
DN advised eat more carbs
AYE RIGHT
i've had a traumatic year so far in that my mum passed away suddenly in may2013 and i suffered a stroke this easter monday and was hospitalised for 6 weeks the plus side is i have managed to shed just over7 stone ib weight and i found out i have AF(irregular heart rhythm) which caused the stroke in the first place and fortunatly have no lasting side effects from th stroke other than a weaker left side a bit of a nuisance as i am left side dominant(left handed) and my handwriting is now atrocious

pr126

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just getting over a recent quadruple cardiac bypass operation at Oxford Heart Center, spending a month in hospital.
Recovering gradually, still very weak. My glucose level is now back to normal, between 6. 5 and 7.5.which is OK with me.
Feeling much better after the bypass. Onwards and upwards.

jackie godden

type2 diagnosed a year ago habc1 100 in October last year on gliclazide 80 twice a day January 2014 habc1 44 stil on 80 twice aday October 2011 habc1 39 now on 40 gliclazide twice a day but to get here I changed my life style completely and now walk everyday .I do take supplements which are chromium piccolinate cinnamon and a well women tab for over 50s ,.I truly believe that the supplements I have been taking alongside the meds has stabilized everything but my cynical nurse says no . well we will see about that when I come off the meds when it stays stable.

Freevy

Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Someone tried a new molecular therapy that uses targeted peptides and proteins to restore cellular function ?
Just search in google ""Peptide treatment" one of my friend have succes with this.

rckymntn1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone. I just want to let you all know that I am doing really great ever since July. My BG is way down, my energy is up and everything is going great. You see, back in July I discovered a program designed to overcome diabetes. I have been following it religiously and it is working fantastically. If anyone else is interested in finding out what it is, just message me and I'll fill you in.

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I began my journey 18 weeks ago, diagnosed hba1c 61, thanks to the information,advice and support from this lovely forum I have been doing lchf, hba1c after 6 weeks was 53 , latest hba1c after 12 weeks is now 38!! Amazingly, I have also lost 3st 3 lbs!! Never expected that. Never have cravings or miss things I used to eat. My journey continues.....:)

pr126

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hba1c in May 2013 was 40,, in October 2014 it was 46, but in August I had a quadruple bypass graft operation.

The secret is controlled diet.
I still take 1 Glucophage SR with the evening meal.

Denthezen

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi new here but the web site actually helped me a lot. I was diagnosed at he end of June with a reading of 7.9 given an information sheet and put on the waiting list for a Desmond course. Through my own research and will power I tried to cut out processed foods and started to read food labels. Bought a bread maker and make my own wholemeal bread with no added sugar, and only eat wholemeal pasta. At the beginning of October my readings were down to 6.0. I check myself around twice a week at different times or if I've been out. So far do good.