In two minds ...

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Had my first pre conception clinic today . My hba1c is 6.7 % . And all my bloods up to date .
I have been told that it's ok to get pregnant , the decision is mine . I'm in a brilliant stage to do so ,

So my problem , the nurse had brought up the pump , it's never interested me before ever ! But this wouldn't just be about me . I could only go on this for my pregnancy as I wouldn't ' qualify ' for the pump afterwards .

And i really am in two minds , I don't know what to do for the best , was told it has been done on both . I could go onto pump now or during pregnancy if control doesn't work with injections , or I might be ok on injections throughout the whole pregnancy .
Has any one got any advice who have made a decision on what they decided to do .

Serenede

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Cloe, pleased to hear your appointment went well. Did they really say you would have to give the pump back once the pregnancy is over? If this is the case and this is MY personal opinion I wouldn't do it just for the pregnancy. I absolutely love my pump but now 18months In to having it I wouldn't want it to be taken away from me! It takes a lot of effort to get everything stable ( for me it took at least 6 months to start getting good even levels). Once you have been on it a while you will really see the benefits but then having to go back to injections after pregnancy you may find it quite difficult.

Is there any way you could find a reason to qualify for one? I got mine due to lots of night hypos and wanting to try for a second baby.

From my point of view, having done one pregnancy on MDI and now looking at doing it again on the pump I would say pump all the way but be prepared to wait 6 months ish before trying and be prepared to give it back if you fall in love with it!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hard to believe they would take the pump back afterwards, but well done your latest results Cloe :)

Reactions: 2 people

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you both for your replies ,
I thought that do be a bit strange but I would only qualify to try for a baby no other reason , she said maybe she could tweak the system and I sign a contract to stay on the pump , but that was only a maybe . Fount that all a bit :confused:
But does sound worth it even if have to wait a bit longer .

Thank you
:):):)

Reactions: 3 people

kt78

If you are planning on breastfeeding and experience hypos, which happens to most, or have fear of hypos that would be a reason to stay on the pump too. I'm nearly 30 weeks with my first and couldn't imagine doing it on inflections is pregnant

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

kt78

Oops, what happened there?!

Meant to say I'm nearly 30 weeks with my first and can't imagine doing it on injections, would be so much more difficult for me.

If you would like advice on pumping and getting access to one see the input website, they are really helpful!

inputme.org.uk

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oops, what happened there?!

Meant to say I'm nearly 30 weeks with my first and can't imagine doing it on injections, would be so much more difficult for me.

If you would like advice on pumping and getting access to one see the input website, they are really helpful!

inputme.org.uk

Thank you for your reply ,
I realise that it is going to be alot harder on injections , but I'm prepared to put in the hard work ,
I've got my self in a right state the last few days , all over the bloody pump .
I'm more scared of going onto the pump than I am about having hypos . I just really feel it isn't for me .
I feel better and more confident with my decision to stay on injections . I have read and been told it can be done on injections , and if I can't get the control on injections I have the option to go onto the pump if I need to .
Everyone has told me to pump , but I just wouldn't feel confident on it , I am very confident with my injections , I have also got a good hba1c on injections .
Did you have good hba1c on injections ?

LemonTree

Dislikes
High sugar levels :(
Hi Cloe
I'm 36 weeks now and been on injections the whole time. My nurse did suggest going on the pump at one point but I decided to persevere with injections because I didn't want anything to confuse me or potentially mess up my sugar levels while I was pregnant. Your control is pretty good so I would suggest sticking with injections and try to conceive rather than adding the pressure of something new to get your head around

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey lemontree :)

First of all a massive congratulations on your pregnancy !!
And thank you so much for this reply , it has really really helped me . I have had a very long chat with my Dsn and we know each other very well . She ended up saying she shouldn't of even mentioned the pump to me as she knew what I was like and would question ! .
Final decision is to stay on my injections I feel so confident with them and in control , pump freaks me out .
And hearing from you is amazing , how you've stayed on your injections , and are so far through your pregnancy . Makes me very hopeful and happy with my decision . Thanks again

JessP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Chloe,
I think you've made the right decision as it's the right one for you clearly. I'm currently 9 weeks pregnant with my first on a pump but have been on a pump for over 2 years so am used to it. Some hospitals like to put their patients on pumps pre-pregnancy where as others don't and it's mainly personal preference. You're clearly doing well if your HbA1c is 6.7 so keep going....well done!
Good luck with getting pregnant!
Jess
x

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Chloe,
I think you've made the right decision as it's the right one for you clearly. I'm currently 9 weeks pregnant with my first on a pump but have been on a pump for over 2 years so am used to it. Some hospitals like to put their patients on pumps pre-pregnancy where as others don't and it's mainly personal preference. You're clearly doing well if your HbA1c is 6.7 so keep going....well done!
Good luck with getting pregnant!
Jess
x
Hey jess , thank you so much for all of your kind words :)
Congratulations on how well you have done aswell with becoming pregnant , best wishes for your journey .
Take care