Have been told I have Type 2 Diavetes but confused!

Felicity11

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, quick update - I went to see my usual doc this morning to discuss my results from Friday (HbA1c 49) and she said, as pretty much you have said on here, that strictly speaking one reading is not enough to diagnose fully blown diabetes and she would say it is currently impaired glucose tolerance - but crack on with a healthy diet and exercise.
I still don't quite understand if I do all I should and everything is normal next time whether that means I've dodged diabetes or I've got it but just controlling it..... I know in a way I'm being pedantic as treatment is the same but I hope you understand psychologically that label is quite important!!
Thank you for listening!

Reactions: 2 people

collectingrocks

Felicity

I think your numbers are fine but this is your chance to do something NOW before its too late. Your numbers just represent a snapshot of your blood sample which may change from day to day or week to week.

For many people, a LCHF diet has worked but as you can't eat fats, I don't know how you can substitute for the "bad" carbs.

Do you comfort eat?

Little, small steps at a time go a long way. As others have said, try and reduce the refined (white) carbs such as breads, pasta etc and reduce your intake of soft drinks and sugary snacks. Can you tolerate nuts?

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, quick update - I went to see my usual doc this morning to discuss my results from Friday (HbA1c 49) and she said, as pretty much you have said on here, that strictly speaking one reading is not enough to diagnose fully blown diabetes and she would say it is currently impaired glucose tolerance - but crack on with a healthy diet and exercise.
I still don't quite understand if I do all I should and everything is normal next time whether that means I've dodged diabetes or I've got it but just controlling it..... I know in a way I'm being pedantic as treatment is the same but I hope you understand psychologically that label is quite important!!
Thank you for listening!

In my head I would be viewing your situation akin to driving on a motorway, late at night, tired, having a momentary lapse of concentration resulting in a shock, maybe a bit of a swerve and being suddenly being alert, for a while. It one doesn't take stock, properly, one is likely to lose concentration again, with potentially more serious consequences. I'd treat it as a loud and clear warning.

Once into it, eating fewer carbs isn't an enormous shift to make.

Reactions: 6 people

Felicity11

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you again so much. I hope I don't sound too self-absorbed!! It's just been a huge shock, as most of you will relate to.
You're right - it's been a life-changing wake up call and I have already lowered bad carbs and switched to wholewheat, low GI foods basically. I have certainly comfort eaten for the last year after recovering from my gallbladder op. Chocolate mostly!
Anyway, thank you all again - what a fab community xx

collectingrocks

Do feel free to call back at any time and ask questions. You will get more info and help here than what you'd receive from your DN. And no doubt there will be some members that will be happy to share recipies/food tips etc - but do remember, everyone is different.

Of course, you don't need to ban chocolate from your diet. Dark chocolate (>80%) is officially good for you!

Felicity11

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry - me again! Just one more thing - I bought a blood sugar monitor and have taken a few readings - which are as follows:-
Fasting 6.3
One hour after carb breakfast 9.3
Two hours after carb breakfast 7.7
Three random tests 5.7 / 5.5 / 5.8

Doesn't this point to more of a prediabetes label than a diabetes one? Sorry to post again but I'm a bit baffled!

Last edited by a moderator:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

I'm definitely diabetic, and my fasting BG can be lower and higher than that - it varies for many reasons, including the time of day.

Your post carb breakfast reading is (by 0.1) below the target quoted by NHS for diabetics after a meal.
But I should check out bloodsugar101 (see the link in my sig) for normal BG levels - they are lower than that - and they certainly don't rise to 9.3 at any time.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry to rain on your parade Felicity, but those readings could mean anything. What was your breakfast? It so depends on which carbs and how much fat, and also the quantities. You need to keep testing for several days, different foods, and fasting/before bedtimes, then spot trends. You can't tell from just one meal and one day. However, not too drastic so far!

Felicity11

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks both - breakfast was 2 cups of coffee and 50g of porridge with blueberries..... I thought I had read somewhere that as long as non fasting readings were below 11, you were ok... Gosh this is all so confusing!,....
And 12 months ago my HbA1c level was 36!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks both - breakfast was 2 cups of coffee and 50g of porridge with blueberries..... I thought I had read somewhere that as long as non fasting readings were below 11, you were ok... Gosh this is all so confusing!,....

There is some really bad and contradictory advice around. Especially the stuff encouraging you to eat carbs.

BG of 11 would have me piddling like a garden fountain, thirsty, and in full blown diabetes symptoms - don't go there if you can avoid it. Most of us start getting glucose in our urine at much above 10.

It sounds like you REALLY need some good info, and bloodsugar101 is the best I've found.

Also worth noting that denial is a standard reaction. Some people waste years ignoring their diabetes, then start to panic when the complications develop. Far better to work through the denial stage quickly (reading this forum helps a lot) and get to grips with it. It'll make your old age much more pleasant. :)

Felicity11

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks again. Yes, I think I'm still in shock to be honest but have already made significant changes re diet & exercise as I enter this complex new world!!

Felicity11

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, three months on and have just got results back from bloods on Monday...HbAc1 is 36 (was 49 in July) and fasting glucose is 5.1. So thatnks to this website, low carb, healthier lifestyle is working well
Really pleased. Said I can't be officially diagnosed with diabetes - but whatever, I'm going to carry on!

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Hey that's brilliant, well done!