Should I be concerned?

Gardengnome

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
going to a gym
Hello, I am 71 and female. I had a health check in Feb 2013 and they found borderline high cholesterol [total 5.9] and hypertension [163/90.]. A 24 hr monitor confirmed the hypertension and after a few months they put me on medication which I have adhered to religiously. [Losartan 50mg] Months later I discovered that I had also had an HbA1c test as part of the check and it was 41%/5.9. I knew this was high 'normal' and the dr agreed. During those months I had lost a considerable amount of weight and given up salt, cut down on alcohol [was never a heavy drinker though] and walked every day. The dr thought my life style would have improved the A1c so he did it again and it came back the same which surprised him. He says, therefore, that I have prediabetes and my numbers will rise, he'll have the Metformin for me when they reach close to 50 - no treatment you just have to watch the diet o_O he said. Somewhat in a panic I decided to go low carb but have to say I'm rather vague about it. I bought a cheap meter and a finger prick fasting test gives a reading of 5.7; 5.9; 5.4; 6.2 on different occasions. Given the low carbing should I be concerned at these numbers and if so what is the best thing to do. I was told to go for another A1c at the end of the year.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

If your last HbA1c was the same as your first one, ie 41 or 5.9% then you are a non-diabetic. If it was 42 or 6% then you are pre-diabetic. 48 (6.5%) and over is diabetic.

Your finger prick tests don't mean anything on their own without knowing when they were taken, although they are all good readings. You need to test as soon as you get up in the morning after a night of fasting, which ideally should be under 5.5mmol/l but may vary depending on a few things. You should also test before eating then at 1hr and 2hrs after starting to eat. Ideal readings for a non-diabetic should be under 5.5 before eating, and under 7.8 after eating.

Reactions: 2 people

Gardengnome

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
going to a gym
Hi,

If your last HbA1c was the same as your first one, ie 41 or 5.9% then you are a non-diabetic. If it was 42 or 6% then you are pre-diabetic. 48 (6.5%) and over is diabetic.

Your finger prick tests don't mean anything on their own without knowing when they were taken, although they are all good readings. You need to test as soon as you get up in the morning after a night of fasting, which ideally should be under 5.5mmol/l but may vary depending on a few things. You should also test before eating then at 1hr and 2hrs after starting to eat. Ideal readings for a non-diabetic should be under 5.5 before eating, and under 7.8 after eating.
I

Gardengnome

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
going to a gym
Sorry for delay in replying haven't been online for a while. I totally understand what you have said; it was my dr who said otherwise. I'm guessing he meant that had I not taken severe steps to alter my lifestyle over almost a year the numbers would have risen. As it is they have stayed the same despite all I have done and by rights they should have gone down. He has told me to repeat the test at the end of the year. Have to say I thought I led a pretty healthy lifestyle before all this anyway, nothing is ever good enough is it?!