Trying for a baby but morning sugars high

Katherine88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance, drama,
I already have a 7 year old son and did not realise I was pregnant when I was younger, but luckily no birth defects and had taken no folic acid, no idea what was going on with my sugars!
My partner and I are trying for a baby, I'm due to take a test around the 20th, I'm taking the 5mg of folic acid, but worried sick as too many mornings now my sugar level is in the early teens, highest was 15.1 :( (some good mornings too though!)

I'm aware the time of conception and sugar levels being good is a very important factor in pregnancy (as well as good sugar control throughout), just incredibly worried incase if I am pregnant, I'm doing the baby harm. It's stressing me out so much, and I have no idea why my sugars are creeping up so much during the night as it's always around 6 or 7/8 when I go to bed.

Did anyone on here experience slightly high sugars early on in pregnancy and what were the outcomes?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1405573086.275701.jpg
    ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1405573086.275701.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 169

Katherine88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance, drama,
Can I just add I was not aware until about 5-6 weeks I was pregnant- and luckily no birth defects!!

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, are you on mdi or pump? Have your readings been high on a morning for a while or just recently? I'm on a pump but when I was on mdi my bg was ALWAYS high on a morning no matter what my reading was before bed or how I tried to alter, think it's known as dawn phenomenon? Doesn't happen now I have a pump though xx

Katherine88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance, drama,
Thanks so much for the reply! ^___^ What's mdi? I haven't been to the hospital for years (who used to manage my diabetes, now I just go to a clinic at my doctors). I don't have a pump I inject humalog and Glargine,(which I am replying to your message at 2am from having a low after switching Glargine to night time after nurse advised me to!) Better than a high!

Nurse mentioned sometimes people's blood sugar would just creep up at night as that's how they're body works (what you call dawn phenomenon?). She said I would be seen by diabetic obstetrician mid august so I'll ask about the pump then ^_^ xx
** how long have you been using the pump?

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi sorry mdi is multiple daily injections, so what your doing now. Like I say my readings were always high on a morning when I injected with the fast acting and slow, mostly between 12-15 even if I went to bed at around 7.3! I've been on the pump since beginning of this year, I wasn't really keen on trying it but thought if I don't try I don't know, luckily the DSN at my hospital lets you loan a pump to trial it before you commit to getting one so maybe worth asking if you can do that to try it out? I'm planning for a baby myself and get scared when I see a higher reading, have cut down on carbs to avoid spikes and am testing every 2 hours. Haven't came off the pill yet or started folic acid. Have you had the go ahead to have a baby? do you know if your a1c is good? Sorry I've just realised I've asked you loads of questions an rambled on lol xx

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Oh I also don't go low through the night any more now on the pump, it was a weekly occurrence when I injected but I can't remember the last time I was up at 2-3am with a low, I sometimes drop to 4 but not till around 7am which is fine by me if I've not been up middle of the night lol x

Katherine88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance, drama,
The pump does sound pretty amazing. When I spoke to a Dr she mentioned they only give pumps to newly diagnosed diabetics. But I'll find out in August.
I wasn't on any contrecrption before just used a certain method been taking folic acid for about a month, and taking a test tomorrow. It's great that you're really planning well and getting agood bg readings beforw conception.
I don't know if I have conceived yet and some high sugars in the mornings on and off, like after the low sugar last night
and drinking some juice, my sugar was 11.1 this morning
My average reading was better than it has been in a while, but still bad as I think they said 7. I feel so out of touch with everything now! Xx

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My readings are always high after a low I binge far too much so trying to learn myself not to do that after so many years is so hard! Good luck for your test I'll keep my fingers crossed you :) xx

Katherine88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance, drama,
Yes I can easily eat too much on a low sugar, last night was shattered though!
Thank you that's sweet of you, I'll be back when it's a yes or no! Good luck also with your pre conception planning ^__^ x x

Katherine88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance, drama,
Hey! I just wanted to come back and say I tested and a very faint positive today!! Though my sugar was just over 12 so I'm concerned my sugars are creeping up now and again, and just praying no damage done!!! Early days I know but just trying to stay positive and hoping this goes well. Let me know how you get on with the planing and trying ^__^ x x x x

Reactions: 2 people

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ohhh that's brilliant news!!! I'll keep my fingers and toes crossed that it turns to a strong positive! Lol just be super careful with what your eating an your testing :)

I've been doing better than i thought on LCHF diet (hate the word diet) my average bg reading is now 7.9 (this time last week was 9.8) so I'm overjoyed to be going in right direction :)

Are you going to do another test in a few days? Xx

Reactions: 2 people

Katherine88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance, drama,
Thank you ^_^x x
Yes I guess I'm to blame for sugars sometimes as have a sweet tooth but really watching it, just already it's like my body is requiring more insulin and I wasn't aware I needed more with my first son so soon.
(Also, the other day in the afternoon was 22 after a low sugar and felt like ****. Spoke to a doctor on the phone and she said so long as was an isolated incident not to worry too much) - but they sometimes creep up, just that high was rare and so scary (no more bananas).

Making me think honestly with myself that more preparation should have taken place before this, but I'm thinking positive and really trying.

Doing a test again Thursday morning and then going to the doctors to confirm it. What's the Lchf diet? Low carb high fat?! Just guessing ☺️

Well done on your average reading, that's great I love it when things go right! X x

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
From what I've read on here other girls in early stages of pregnancy get unexpected high readings so I think you might just have to constantly test (poor fingers) :-( oh let us know how Thursday goes then :)

Yeah low carb high fat, it's a very tasty diet lol but I struggle on an evening for my tea cos I love pasta, rice etc but not managing too badly hopefully gets easier the longer you do it! :) xx

Katherine88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance, drama,
Ok that makes me feel a little better was panicking!
Sounds good, carbs aren't so great and it's a pity they taste so good .
A chiropractor told me a lot of the advice diabetic nurses give isn't that great (was told from a young age sure you can eat chocolate etc, just do more insulin), and he suggested eating more raw foods, and how people even eventually reduce their intake of insulin. I'm so sleepy now, so I'll let you know how Thursday goes x x
And thank you for talking to me on here ^_^

Katherine88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance, drama,
Hey! I'm good thank you, how are you?

Found out at the doctors I'm 5 weeks pregnant! (6 next week!!) So happy but had a 15.7 at 12am last night and just now had an 11.2 it's really frustrating (and keep worrying what affect it will have on what I'm growing!)

Most of the time sugars under 8 but those spikes are so random when I think I'm getting it ok most of the time.
How are you getting along? X x x x

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Oh yeyyyy that's brill news!!! What a ****** them random bg readings are, Bet your sick of testing!

Are you having lower carb?

I've got an appointment at docs next week to see about getting folic acid, n still trying to perfect my bg range, had a random on Friday night of 17.0 when I'd had a pretty much carb free tea so I wasn't very happy cos didn't know where I had gone wrong :-( but onwards n upwards :) xx

Katherine88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance, drama,
It is so frustrating when you get a high reading, and I totally get that, when you've had good readings all day and then it just happens!

The doctors should give you the 5mg of folic acid because it's your choice when you want to start trying for a baby ^__^ I'm running late as my little boy has play scheme this morning and the bus is coming at 8.20!! He's still in his pjs .
I hope it goes well at the docs and let me know how you get on x x x

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yeah everyone's told me about the folic acid so going to ask about that an ask if they will give me 2 lots of bg testing strips when I order my prescription cos I'm going through a tub a week already so I imagine I'll be testing even more when I start trying so fingers crossed for that cos they are so greedy with test strips lol

Do you go for a scan soon then? I know most people don't yet but seen a few people on here say they go for them quite early :) xx

Katherine88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance, drama,
Because I know the date of my last period I don't know if I'll have an early one this time. With my son I didn't know I was pregnant and had an early internal scan and found out was 6 1/2 weeks. He was a little blob with a heartbeat and I cried! Had one at 12, I think 21 or 23 weeks and had 2 or 3 more after that! I remember towards the end it was crazy as you'd only see the legs or feet on the scan and I couldn't always make it out as baby was so chunky!!

Yes they give me 100 test strips at a time now but had to pay £14 for some yesterday as had completely run out! I thought I had more in the cupboard .
You should be allowed to test as often as you need because you're going to be the one carrying a baby and want to make sure everything is alright.

Fingers crossed they do as you ask at the drs (they should anyway, I just think some doctors are difficult) x x x