I'm back from my first meeting with the Diabetic Nurse

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Marie,

My nurse also told me to include a slice of bread in my low carb allowance. I am lucky in that I can manage a slice of heavily seeded wholemeal with a meal. I have at least one slice a day, often 2, but with different meals. I make sure it is the only carby food with that meal though or it will spike my levels far too high. Just 1 slice doesn't spike me at all hardly. I love poached eggs on toast (2 eggs) and also enjoy a slice of toast and butter with my bacon and eggs meals. Some people aren't as lucky!

Reactions: 2 people

Marieukxx

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm desperate to lose weight. I was weighed yesterday and with trainers on she said I was 13 stone 4lbs. I hate the way they make you feel because you're overweight it's all down to that and your fault. I feel like saying to my Doctor "you're not exactly slim Jim either are you" lol He's overweight himself. I put it all on quickly when I was depressed over a bereavment.

Marieukxx

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Marie,

My nurse also told me to include a slice of bread in my low carb allowance. I am lucky in that I can manage a slice of heavily seeded wholemeal with a meal. I have at least one slice a day, often 2, but with different meals. I make sure it is the only carby food with that meal though or it will spike my levels far too high. Just 1 slice doesn't spike me at all hardly. I love poached eggs on toast (2 eggs) and also enjoy a slice of toast and butter with my bacon and eggs meals. Some people aren't as lucky!
Thanks I think I will get some wholemeal oor seeded as I do like those types of breads anyway. Then have scrambled or poached eggs like you. That would be more filling in mornings or lunches than a yougurt or babybell lol. I suppose it's all a learning curve and I will get used to it and not stress about what to eat for my meals.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
When you get your Codefree meter and strips you need to test before and after your bread meal though, just to make sure it is acceptable for you.

Crimsonclient

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think the situation of eating little and then having a carb snack will 'end in tears'
I would eat Atkins or lchf diet and be full as a goog with protein, fat and unlimited leafy veg,

Crimsonclient

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Well I'm sorry that you feel that it is wrong to eat 1 packet of quavers. The carb value is 12.6g of carbs per packet and considering that the op had hardly eaten anything because they didn't know any different. Maybe you should give them a break and try helping the misread of dictating this is wrong or that is wrong

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Marieukxx

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
When you get your Codefree meter and strips you need to test before and after your bread meal though, just to make sure it is acceptable for you.
Ok thanks how will I know if it's ok or not? Also how long after do I wait to test?

Ad today after my dinner should with the meter I was given should I wait 2 hours to test like she said or 1

Marieukxx

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
To the others thank you for the helpful advice, I will bulk up my meals a bit more like I said with eggs for breakfast and stuff and not snack on crisps. I knew I shouldn't be having them but crisps are a big vice for me. Before I would at loads and get the big bags for a treat. I was crisp and sweet mad. I've not touched any sweets at all since. Gave my stash to my 4 year old Niece. Mind you funny story, she was staying with her dad the night I gave her my sweet stash so took them there straight from mine. She decided it would be a good idea to shove them up her nose lol. They were millions so tiny little sweets. She put a few up each nostril! Her dad panicked at first but got them out.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You need to conserve your current strips provided by the nurse, so test at 2 hours. Once you get your own, test before you start to eat, then at 1 hour and 2hours after starting to eat. If your levels still haven't started to go down significantly, test again at 2.5hrs. If your meal has carbs that are quick release, like bread, spuds, rice etc and very little fat, you will most likely peak at about 1 hour. The more fat the longer it takes and the lower the spike will be. Once you have tested a particular meal a few times there may be no need to test that meal again. If it spikes you too much, amend the ingredients of the meal or have a smaller portion, then test again. It is all trial and error. Don't forget to record everything you eat and drink and your readings alongside. This way you can learn.

Marieukxx

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
You need to conserve your current strips provided by the nurse, so test at 2 hours. Once you get your own, test before you start to eat, then at 1 hour and 2hours after starting to eat. If your levels still haven't started to go down significantly, test again at 2.5hrs. If your meal has carbs that are quick release, like bread, spuds, rice etc and very little fat, you will most likely peak at about 1 hour. The more fat the longer it takes and the lower the spike will be. Once you have tested a particular meal a few times there may be no need to test that meal again. If it spikes you too much, amend the ingredients of the meal or have a smaller portion, then test again. It is all trial and error. Don't forget to record everything you eat and drink and your readings alongside. This way you can learn.
Thank you so much for helping me I really do appreciate it. The meter I got comes up with a smiley face if the reading is within the right parameters so shall I just go by that. At the moment I don't understand number wise what is high or not

Jill the tt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
unkindness
To the others thank you for the helpful advice, I will bulk up my meals a bit more like I said with eggs for breakfast and stuff and not snack on crisps. I knew I shouldn't be having them but crisps are a big vice for me. Before I would at loads and get the big bags for a treat. I was crisp and sweet mad. I've not touched any sweets at all since. Gave my stash to my 4 year old Niece. Mind you funny story, she was staying with her dad the night I gave her my sweet stash so took them there straight from mine. She decided it would be a good idea to shove them up her nose lol. They were millions so tiny little sweets. She put a few up each nostril! Her dad panicked at first but got them out.[/QUOT

http://lowcarbcoach.com/peanut-butter-fat-bombs/

hi try these low carb treats, there are so many low carb recipes, no need to feel hard done by, i made yorkshire pudding with soy flour , i'm learning every day take care Jill

Marieukxx

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks I'll have a look at that. So is peanut butter allowed. I love love love Sunpat Crunchy peanut butter on toast

Jill the tt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
unkindness
Thanks I'll have a look at that. So is peanut butter allowed. I love love love Sunpat Crunchy peanut butter on toast

needs to be unsweetened, not in large amounts, i love the fat bombs, hope you enjoy Jill

Marieukxx

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
I've just been cheeky lol and gone onto the online prescription ordering section of my doctors surgery and requested test strips and lancets. I get free prescriptions so we'll see if I get them lol

A

AnnieC

Thanks I think I will get some wholemeal oor seeded as I do like those types of breads anyway. Then have scrambled or poached eggs like you. That would be more filling in mornings or lunches than a yougurt or babybell lol. I suppose it's all a learning curve and I will get used to it and not stress about what to eat for my meals.
Try Bergen Linseed and Soya bread very seedy and lots of us here have it

bob2025

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes - may it burn in hell !!!
Pointless clock change back to GMT - too dark
Politicians and other petty administrators
Hi
I was diagnosed 48 hours before I went on a two week holiday with a reading of 17.
When I came back I had a reading of 15. But only then did I get any testing strips.
Over the past two weeks it has been trial and error and I now have a reading of 7.
First mistake I made was reading the NHS website and thinking I could eat potatoes.. Doh!!
So I think I am loosing about 2 GC every 3 days.
I'm now of 3 metaform (plz excuse the spelling)
But the DC has been of holiday for two weeks - so podiatrist etc - it's all on hold again until next week.
Having said that, I have lost 5 pounds in weight in two weeks and joined the gym too.
Current BMI is below 26 so I need to loose another 8 pounds.
I've joined a gym class everyday.
Aqua aerobics yesterday, i was the only chap in the entire class.
But hey my numb toe felt better for getting the circulation and stretching.
Abs tomorrow at 7.30am.

I'm in no position to offer anybody any real advice - I don't get all the HBA numbers.
However, I can say - please stick at it
If Diabetes wants a fight - then let it have one.