Help..insurance?

• Thread starter Deleted member 83869
  • Start Date
D

Deleted member 83869

Hi

I have been on the pump since October and now someone is telling me that I NEED to insure my pump, but I am sure my nurse did something like this for me :S I am on the accuchek aviva combo pump can someone help please?

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
When people say 'Pacific' instead of 'Specific' :-)
Hi, if you don't insure your pump and you lose it or break it you will be liable for the cost to replace it. I had my accu-Chek combo insured on my home contents insurance for £3000 - never had to claim though! My DN also had to provide the PCT with a copy if my ins before they would find the pump?! So maybe your PCT didn't request that.......

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

D

Deleted member 83869

Hi, if you don't insure your pump and you lose it or break it you will be liable for the cost to replace it. I had my accu-Chek combo insured on my home contents insurance for £3000 - never had to claim though! My DN also had to provide the PCT with a copy if my ins before they would find the pump?! So maybe your PCT didn't request that.......

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

I had to sign to register it with Roche and I can't remember if my nurse said something about insuring it! Never heard of it before tbh! And don't see how you would lose an insulin pump but heyho!

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
I had to sign to register it with Roche and I can't remember if my nurse said something about insuring it! Never heard of it before tbh! And don't see how you would lose an insulin pump but heyho!
You would be surprised at what people nick when you are not looking, besides the chance of theft you need to insure for accidental damage.
Any fault with the pump and it is repaired during the 4 year warranty period, damage you do or loss is down to you as the NHS will not replace it.

scoyyt57

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Mine is on my household insurance. Was told to do this as soon as I was given it. I have it insured fro £3,000

jodysd6

I am never sure about this, I do need to sort mine really but I have this question, if the hospital says the pump remains their property (my first hospital said this and said they could ask for it back at any point) then can you really insure something that doesn't actually belong to you?

Reactions: 2 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Yes you can insure your kids lifes, your parents lifes etc, you do not have to own it.

All insurances are up to the individual EXCEPT car insurance in UK.

If you don't insure your pump, can you afford to replace it? Same as house contents etc.. If your house burns down, can you afford to replace everything in it.

For those without house insurance there is a separate insurance company that insure pumps. Google it, as I can't remember the name of the company.

I had to prove I had insurance set up for mine when I got mine 4 years ago but not all hospitals do that. Mine isn't classified as a loan pump.

Speak to your hospital.

Loving life

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I use Insurance4InsulinPumps as at the time my contents insurance would not cover my pump.

enamor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, I had to register my pump with Roche to cover it under warranty but have to insure it myself, NHS don't cover this. I used www.insurance4insulinpumps.co.uk
It covers for all accidental damage loss or theft including the handset, apparantly they are often mistaken for MP3 players when you take them off to swim on holiday for example. I have the same pump as you and the insurance is £6.99 per month.

Reactions: 2 people