Any tips switching insulin

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hey guys I'm going from novo rapid (only ever been on this) to humalog today in my animas vibe. Any tips hints or otherwise?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey guys I'm going from novo rapid (only ever been on this) to humalog today in my animas vibe. Any tips hints or otherwise?

I went the other way, but found them pretty much the same - unit for unit.

My impression was that Novorapid was a bit more mellow in it's action (if that makes any sense).

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Am not on a pump but use MDI regime .
I have just very recently returned back onto Levemir insulin .
More or less need same amount of units as old insulin type .
Used porcine insulin previously - was on Levemir 4 years ago though .

Ask your DSN/GP advice Engineer88 if unsure about anything best .
Better to be safe than sorry .

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yeah that's why I've changed @robert72, it was taking 2 hours for novo rapid to kick in and it's getting down to that fine tuning now.

I'm not overly concerned just wanted to ask and get opinions thanks Anna

Reactions: 2 people

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah that's why I've changed @robert72, it was taking 2 hours for novo rapid to kick in and it's getting down to that fine tuning now.

This is something I'm considering too. I often spike into the teens at the 2 hr mark but since Novorapid is slow acting ish (in comparison to others) I'm actually back in range at the 4 he point. I'm getting sick of it!

Blogging at drivendiabetic.wordpress.com

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1405107449.286402.jpg

Hope it carries on like this!

60g of carbs at dinner (200ml coke 40g potatos) ate 1.5 hours ago so would expect to see a rise now. - 7.2 currently and trending steady.

So frigging excited!

Type 1 diagnosed 1990
HBa1c current 8.3
Pump and CGM used (animas vibe)

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
This is something I'm considering too. I often spike into the teens at the 2 hr mark but since Novorapid is slow acting ish (in comparison to others) I'm actually back in range at the 4 he point. I'm getting sick of it!

Gimme a week and I'll let you know the difference. Are you pumping yet?

Type 1 diagnosed 1990
HBa1c current 8.3

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ok so one full day in - hell that's rapid insulin! Fantastic stuff - woke up at 8am bg11 so not great start but insulin I'm seeing working well within an hour but more like 30 mins.

Testing it out by eating carbs - more than I have in a long time. It's coping well - had over 130g of carbs today and all is good. In fact a little low for bed normally at 5.7. Shall see what happens tonight

Type 1 diagnosed 1990
HBa1c current 8.3

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's interesting, looks like it has a quicker peak, but is it also quicker overall?

I'm on NR and can find with certain foods that it misses the peak adn then I go lower thna intended later. bread in particular needs me to dose a good 10-15 minutes early.

It woudl also be interesting to see how that works in terms of reducing the time needed between a bolus and exercise.

I'd always though NR to be one ot the most rapid acting/

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Gimme a week and I'll let you know the difference. Are you pumping yet?

Type 1 diagnosed 1990
HBa1c current 8.3

Yes for two weeks now. I've always known I spike but the need for the two hour test has highlighted how bad it is and I'm more aware of the symptoms

D

Deleted member 83869

That's odd that the novorapid was only kicking in after 2 hours :O sounds stupid but didn't know what other quick acting insulin there was!!
Good Luck though! :) x

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That's odd that the novorapid was only kicking in after 2 hours :O sounds stupid but didn't know what other quick acting insulin there was!!
Good Luck though! :) x

It's always been the way. Been on novo for 15+ years and been telling them this for 6+ years. No one cared or took notice. Humalog is the bomb. Seriously impressed.

Type 1 diagnosed 1990
HBa1c current 8.3

D

Deleted member 83869

It's always been the way. Been on novo for 15+ years and been telling them this for 6+ years. No one cared or took notice. Humalog is the bomb. Seriously impressed.

Type 1 diagnosed 1990
HBa1c current 8.3

Oh wow that's weird! Atleast humalog works for you though :)

kkkk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's interesting, looks like it has a quicker peak, but is it also quicker overall?

I'm on NR and can find with certain foods that it misses the peak adn then I go lower thna intended later. bread in particular needs me to dose a good 10-15 minutes early.

It woudl also be interesting to see how that works in terms of reducing the time needed between a bolus and exercise.

I'd always though NR to be one ot the most rapid acting/

I was reading this....and thinking about me and bread....I kind of stopped eating bread as my main lunch food as I'd spike up to 12 after and pasta and even potato are much better. So I tried pizza and went up too the teens...I did change my set though possibly prematurely, then I though lets give it another go - another big spike and then finally yesterday 2 slices of granary toast and again up into the teens!!!! (so if you stop eating a form of carb can it make you more sensitive to it when you introduce it back into your diet?) I am thinking it is not coincidence - but could be - why would it do that (I do give myself insulin before I eat 10-20mins depending on my level is and how much time I have) - but with bread I need more insulin for the same amount of carbs going on what has happened the last few times - it's weird! I guess I'll have another go at some point in a week or so and see if it is the same.

avalon67

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I changed from Novomix to Humulin M3 about 18 months ago, I find the Humulin a lot easier to control and the hypos, when I have them, not as harsh and easier to get out of.
I've had a HBA1C of 46/6.4 for the last year, before this I'd been 6.8-7.3 regularly.

amberzak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Competitive sport. I'm more of a for fun type person.
Oh my goodness. I need to change emails. I have the same problem on novo rapid