Low blood pressure etc

deb1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi
I've had type 2 diabetes for 7 years, since approx April this year I was starting to feel unwell but I couldn't put my finger on it until now.
My symptoms were everytime I stand up my heart rate jumped from 70 to 130 bp & I'd start shaking go pale and would need to lay down or I would faint.
I've been in & out of hospital a few times but I'm no further forward, this had made me nearly bedridden, I just get up to go the loo etc & I'm now house bound.
My diabetes doctor put me on Fludrocortisone last week to help level out my blood pressure and now I'm able to stand for 5 minutes rather than a minute before.
My diabetes dr has said this is due to my diabetes it has effected my nerves that control my blood pressure but I don't know what to think, I don't think they really know.
Has anyone here experienced this and were helped. I feel as though my life has ended & I'm only 38 xx

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I think your Dr is referring to Autonomic Neuropathy, it can effect the cardiovascular system.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Do you know anything about it, can it better x

Not very much except it can effect the cardiovascular system, much like other Neuropathies it is due to nerve damage.

I Google search will provide you with some information about the condition.

C

catherinecherub

Hi deb,

This article explains autonomic neuropathy.
What is autonomic neuropathy?
Autonomic neuropathy affects the nerves that control the heart, regulate blood pressure, and control blood glucose levels. Autonomic neuropathy also affects other internal organs, causing problems with digestion, respiratory function, urination, sexual response, and vision. In addition, the system that restores blood glucose levels to normal after a hypoglycemic episode may be affected, resulting in loss of the warning symptoms of hypoglycemia.

http://diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/dm/pubs/neuropathies/

This part of the article explains about treatments.

http://diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/dm/pubs/neuropathies/#treatment

deb1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I feel that when I have my attacks everytime I stand up I'm hyping but I'm not.....my heart rate doubles etc , I shake and can't stand
Has anyone else has any symptoms like this and got better xx

TopoGigi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Negativity
Hi I have had Autonomic Neuropathy for 30 years which started with what you're describing Postural Hypotension, certain situations do make it worse like today for instance "The HOT weather " my blood pressure has been in my boots today so I can sympathise with. Unfortunately it is not talked about enough in the Diabetic community. I have many other aspects of AN which have affected many other organs and systems in my body.
I was referred by my Cardiologist to a Autonomic Unit in London last year and have only just been in as an inpatient for testing and further treatment but as you can see it was a hell of a long wait. Fludrocortisone is one line of treatment, it certainly should make you feel better, you could ask to see a Neurologist.
PS I was Type 1 Diabetic, I say was had a Pancreas Transplant 17 years ago so now insulin independent but still experiencing Diabetic complications, i make the most of things and stay positive always.

Reactions: 2 people

deb1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Could I talk to you topogigi through Facebook
Hi I have had Autonomic Neuropathy for 30 years which started with what you're describing Postural Hypotension, certain situations do make it worse like today for instance "The HOT weather " my blood pressure has been in my boots today so I can sympathise with. Unfortunately it is not talked about enough in the Diabetic community. I have many other aspects of AN which have affected many other organs and systems in my body.
I was referred by my Cardiologist to a Autonomic Unit in London last year and have only just been in as an inpatient for testing and further treatment but as you can see it was a hell of a long wait. Fludrocortisone is one line of treatment, it certainly should make you feel better, you could ask to see a Neurologist.
PS I was Type 1 Diabetic, I say was had a Pancreas Transplant 17 years ago so now insulin independent but still experiencing Diabetic complications, i make the most of things and stay positive always.

deb1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
TopoGigi is there an easier way I could chat with you, I'm so desperate and alone with what's going on thank you x

Adele99

I've had orthostatic hypotension for several years and various other form of Autonomic nerve damage. These horrible support socks, stockings can help, as can raising the head of your bed several inches off the floor. When standing up I have to do it very slowly then stay in that position for a minute or 2 before moving, or can fall over. As said its little researched and doctors aren't that familiar with dealing with it. When getting up after lying down, you need to raise yourself slowly in stages, until you're sitting. Then sit at the end of your bed for several minutes before attempting to stand up. Doing this so slowly allows time for your nervous system to adjust instead of dropping like a stone. Try to avoid bending etc, and sudden positional changes.

Also affects me about 45 minutes after eating, made worse in my case because I've been anaemic for years. Have they checked your Haemoglobin levels as even slight reductions in normal which they tend to dismiss or think are acceptable can make this problem so much worse. I used to wonder why I'd pass out after eating a meal, or have a racing heartbeat and feeling ill or dizzy after a sandwich. This is caused by something to do with blood flow being redirected to stomach, the neurologist I think called it Dump syndrome? Caffeine or strong coffe can help if you're affected ini this way, as can walking about . As can reducing portion size , particularly carbohydrates. Sometimes the only thing to do is lie flat for an hour after eating.

You also need to be careful in the shower or bath, and not let the place get too hot with steam or have the water too warm, as this can set it off as well.

My cardiac, carotid and leg arteries are all blocked up to, which Together with the anemia think makes this problem worse with blood flow etc. things like overheating, even a simple upset stomach can leave me flat out on the floor, as the nerves controlling the cardiovascular system can't properly compensate in adjusting heart rate and blood pressure to meet changing demands.

The medication you've been given can help, if it doesn't there's others you can try, or even combinations which can help. Keep at them until you get something which gives you some improvement. My GP wasn't very helpful of how horrible this can be to live with until he went on a course which explained in detail the effects of Auto nerve damage on daily living.

You can also help yourself a great deal by trying to keep your blood sugar levels as tight as possible to prevent further deterioration. With the right treatment and changes you yourself can make, it will hopefully improve to a level you can accommodate or deal with.

Hope things improve soon for you. Take care

Reactions: 4 people

deb1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you Adele99 , did this happen to you because of your diabetes & were you able to control it x

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
I have a condition called Addison's disease, this cause low BP so I use Fludrocortisone as well as another steroid routine which controls the condition really well.
I hope you manage to sort your problems out.

deb1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I have a condition called Addison's disease, this cause low BP so I use Fludrocortisone as well as another steroid routine which controls the condition really well.
I hope you manage to sort your problems out.
What were your symptoms for this please

Adele99

Thank you Adele99 , did this happen to you because of your diabetes & were you able to control it x

Yes due to several decades of not always brilliantly controlled type 1 diabetes. Strangely enough my eyes and kidneys are only moderately affected, the main damage I have is clogging up of arteries and various types of nerve damage. So I think to an extent the damage it can do is sometimes individual.

If you were an undiagnosed type 2 diabetic for some time it's possible damage was accumulating unseen. If your blood sugar level control is poor it will only makes things considerably worse over time. Once I understood how low blood pressure in certain situations could have such an effect , I was better able to handle it and didn't get anxious about it happening if you understand what I mean. So that's your way forward I think to manage it together with the right medication to improve your symptoms.

Addison's disease can go hand in hand with diabetes, as can thyroid problems. I was also checked for this twice. Symptoms can be similar to an extent. They have a simple blood procedure test to check this. First they take a blood sample to establish your normal base levels, then give you an injection of cortisone I think that's what it's called , then after a short time , take a further blood sample and compare the 2. Only takes a short time to do. My levels were fine.

Your GP can arrange for this test to be done if you ask.
I

deb1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you so much adele, they took a blood test for cortisone levels & also 24 hr urine test, haven't got results yet.
Do u have a good quality of life with your troubles with blood pressure etc xx
Thank you for taking the time to msg me x

deb1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes due to several decades of not always brilliantly controlled type 1 diabetes. Strangely enough my eyes and kidneys are only moderately affected, the main damage I have is clogging up of arteries and various types of nerve damage. So I think to an extent the damage it can do is sometimes individual.

If you were an undiagnosed type 2 diabetic for some time it's possible damage was accumulating unseen. If your blood sugar level control is poor it will only makes things considerably worse over time. Once I understood how low blood pressure in certain situations could have such an effect , I was better able to handle it and didn't get anxious about it happening if you understand what I mean. So that's your way forward I think to manage it together with the right medication to improve your symptoms.

Addison's disease can go hand in hand with diabetes, as can thyroid problems. I was also checked for this twice. Symptoms can be similar to an extent. They have a simple blood procedure test to check this. First they take a blood sample to establish your normal base levels, then give you an injection of cortisone I think that's what it's called , then after a short time , take a further blood sample and compare the 2. Only takes a short time to do. My levels were fine.

Your GP can arrange for this test to be done if you ask.
I
Love to hear bk from you adele x

Adele99

Thank you so much adele, they took a blood test for cortisone levels & also 24 hr urine test, haven't got results yet.
Do u have a good quality of life with your troubles with blood pressure etc xx
Thank you for taking the time to msg me x

Yes I do all things considered and certainly compared to many others my age. But I don't think I was as badly affected as you seem to be when first diagnosed with it. When I was first told I had it, I was still working full time.

If you don't mind me asking how stable are your blood sugar levels? And have they checked your blood sodium levels. Because I find if my blood levels are very high eg in the 20s which can happen with me sometimes then I'll feel extremely dizzy, faint, weak etc. If blood sugar levels are on and off high then your electrolyte balance also goes out the window ,causing low sodium levels which can also make you feel very weak and dizzy when you first stand up. Either of these things could be making things a whole load worse for you.

Think you should get a double appointment with your GP and talk through with him how difficult you're finding things , and ask him to explain things better.

deb1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes I do all things considered and certainly compared to many others my age. But I don't think I was as badly affected as you seem to be when first diagnosed with it. When I was first told I had it, I was still working full time.

If you don't mind me asking how stable are your blood sugar levels? And have they checked your blood sodium levels. Because I find if my blood levels are very high eg in the 20s which can happen with me sometimes then I'll feel extremely dizzy, faint, weak etc. If blood sugar levels are on and off high then your electrolyte balance also goes out the window ,causing low sodium levels which can also make you feel very weak and dizzy when you first stand up. Either of these things could be making things a whole load worse for you.

Think you should get a double appointment with your GP and talk through with him how difficult you're finding things , and ask him to explain things better.
I think they checked all my bloods.....my bloods are running 11/12/13 but I'm not working just sitting so I'm finding it difficult to get them any lower but I'm trying. Something just tells me this is more than diabetes but my doctor said it's my diabetes causing your symptoms and go home and take Fludrocortisone and you will be ok. I've never felt so alone
Thank you for taking the time to read and reply to my msg's & also when my symptoms started I was getting flickering vision & now it's nearly constantly there, it's not blurry or foggy, it's just flickering never had it ever before x