New here

tonyt

Hello everyone I have just joined. My name is Tony and I am 59 yrs old. I have just been diagnosed type 2 and placed on Metformin. This is all quite a shock to me, as, I am sure it was to most of you also. I am having all sorts of emotions from angry to feeling vulnerable, but Iknow its early days yet (1 week) I have an appointment next week with the diabetic nurse so will know more then. Anyway hello.​

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. Most of us would suggest a review of your diet and a reduction in carbs as this will help reduce blood sugar and weight. Metformin helps a bit but diet is key. Do come back with any questions

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
hello tony and welcome to the forum
i was diagnosed type2 2 months ago and have had lots of advice from members

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I know that feeling Tony. I was as sick as a parrot when I was diagnosed on my 59th birthday as I got loads of cook books and kitchen gear as pressies.

It turned out to be a blessing in disguise because I simply adapted everything that I could and read up on food. I started to lose weight and get my sugar levels down and so treated myself to a rower so I could do little bits at home, without the hassle of going to a club. I lost more weight and my BG levels dropped further so I bought an exercise bike.

I am cooking and eating more than ever now and my weight loss has levelled out but my BG levels are often in the 4s and low 5s. I got a mountain bike off ebay and will head off for the Dales this weekend. On such occasions, I now allow myself treats like a bacon sandwich or fish and chips. I didn't do it to begin with and although things are well under control, I don't want to fall into bad old habits so, the price of a bacon sandwich is a couple of hours on a bike.

It is all about watching what you eat, losing weight and being more active. The vast majority of type 2s respond well to this. But it takes time. Took me the best part of the year to get back into the normal zone. Don't rely on meds and expect them to sort everything out for you. You have to want to do it for yourself. It usually works and it's got to be worth a determined go.

Reactions: 2 people

Countrykins

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello everyone I have just joined. My name is Tony and I am 59 yrs old. I have just been diagnosed type 2 and placed on Metformin. This is all quite a shock to me, as, I am sure it was to most of you also. I am having all sorts of emotions from angry to feeling vulnerable, but Iknow its early days yet (1 week) I have an appointment next week with the diabetic nurse so will know more then. Anyway hello.​
Hi Tony - welcome to another newbee like myself. It was never suggested by my doc that I return after a period of time even though she had put me in the type 2 diabetic frame. Just had to go away and lose weight as that would resolve it !! However I have taken her comments seriously as something isn't right - so have taken matters into my own hands and now following a regime to try and assess what it shows. Ie bought a glucose monitor etc as well as introducing a diet for myself. I'm hoping that with the expertise of the forum I shall get the advice I need once a pattern emerges. Especially as I'm spending a lot of time in Portugal - but quite able,to see a doc here if it is deemed advisable..