Blood Sugar levels peaking after meals

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
I thought BS levels peaked after an hour or two after eating!!
Last night I eat at 7:00pm. At 8:00 4.5, at 9:00 4.9, at 10:30 5.7, at 8:00am 6.1. Nothing to eat or drink between 7:00pm and 8:00am. So continuing to rise for 13 hours!! Any thoughts?

Dinner was pork chop, salad tomato mayonnaise olives. I did 20mins light exercise after dinner, then watched tv. I am on a LcHf diet. LADA currently no insulin or meds. I am beginning to think I only produce insulin when standing, nothing when seated / laying down.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
8 am 6.1 could be influenced more by Dawn Phenomenon and unrelated to yesterday's dinner. Meter readings can also be +/- 10% or even 20%.

Reactions: 2 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I only get that sort of activity if I eat pasta or pizza.

What happened when you broke your fast again Ian? Did you have your usual postprandial rise, from the 6.1, or something different? I found, on pasta/pizza, it took a couple of days for my readings to realign to my expected norms. For that reason, I currently pass on pasta/pizza.

Don't you just love a puzzle?

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Light exercise will have squashed your rise. Not that you would have got a noticeable one from your meal

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
2hrs after yesterday's breakfast it was 5.0, one hour after lunch it was 5.6.... My pre breakfast levels have all been just over 6.0 last few days, trying to get them down below 6:0

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
that is really good.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How was Antigua, Ian? Where were you based?

(I recall you relating about your contingent insulin before you went. I'm not a stalker.)

(Well, not a very bad one. :D)

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
Antigua was great, a few slightly higher readings than normal, but nothing over 9.0 and pre breakfast highest was 7.6..... So the insulin pen remains unused.
Within a few days of returning I managed to get my pre breakfast readings down to 5.5 average, but now up above 6.
I have managed to put on a (much needed) stone in weight over last 2 months, so I guess this does not help with low sugar levels!!
Ian

Bill1963

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
hi ian, hope things return to normal for you soon. How have you pu
t your weight on? I am struggling to stop losing weight still.Have discovered coconut cream 1000 cals per 400mls so hoping this will help.

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
Hi bill.
I have managed to put weight on by eating lots of fried meat (breakfast, lunch and dinner).... Plus eggs, cheese, almonds between meals, lots of mayonnaise on salads, double cream in coffee and fried aubergines. Anything that is zero or low carb but with lots of calories. Good luck.

2131tom

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I found, on pasta/pizza, it took a couple of days for my readings to realign to my expected norms.

I find exactly the same. If I slip for a meal or two, and include rice, pasta or a few slices of bread, it puts all my readings up for the next 2 days or so.

It's bl**dy annoying when you realise you've taken a self-inflicted tumble and will have to climb that bit of the hill all over again .........

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
These are low numbers. What is your concern?

More observation than concern.... Just that we always seem to talk about spikes 1 to 2 hrs after a meal.

I eat in the evening (low carb) my levels after an hour are v. Good (5ish)....... Then they rise continuously for 13 hrs. I have even randomly checked at 2:0am and 4:0am, they are always rising and peaking at breakfast, some 14hrs later.

I think it is down to protein..... I am eating a lot of protein (10g protein = 5g carb) and protein takes a lot longer to go through the system. Started to eat more protein at breakfast and lunch (to put on weight), but this seems to have had the effect of higher pre breakfast readings, (around 7.5), even though my evening meal is same or less than before.

Diagnosed T2 in sept 2013, BS levels 20+. BMI 22, age 58. Requested a GAD test in November, came back very high 2,000+, doc said I would be T1 very soon, but presently LADA, and managing to keep 99% of my BS readings one hour after meals under 7.8 without insulin or any medication.

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Ian,

I realise this is a bit of an old thread, but I think you're right about the protein. If I have my evening meal late, and it includes a protein portion such as chicken breast, my levels rise after about 5 hours and I wake with high levels. It's absolutely infuriating. I feel like I need to split my rapid-acting dose for the protein as it has worn off before the rise peaks. I'm still considering what to do about it in terms of an effective insulin regime, but I find that not eating tea late helps and if I really must, not to have much protein. Mind you, no much carb and not much protein doesn't leave an awful lot!

Smidge

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
Hi Ian,

I realise this is a bit of an old thread, but I think you're right about the protein. If I have my evening meal late, and it includes a protein portion such as chicken breast, my levels rise after about 5 hours and I wake with high levels. It's absolutely infuriating. I feel like I need to split my rapid-acting dose for the protein as it has worn off before the rise peaks. I'm still considering what to do about it in terms of an effective insulin regime, but I find that not eating tea late helps and if I really must, not to have much protein. Mind you, no much carb and not much protein doesn't leave an awful lot!

Smidge
I will have to test that now.

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
Protein definitely affects BG levels. After writing that post I started to have a 'no protein no carb' evening meal (buttered mushrooms) and, because I was still wanting to put gain some weight, eating more protein during the day. It made no difference, my BG readings still increased after my evening meal. Only when I cut back on total protein during the day did it start to ease off, and then not for a few days. Could we have a protein storage bag inside us, which when full gradually empties?

Having cut back on the protein a few weeks back (having reached my weight goal) we went out with friends for a late evening meal (I had a light low carb zero protein lunch beforehand). I had a high protein rump steak that evening. It did not effect my BG levels at all, not that evening or the next day.... I can only assume my protein bag was empty, and that protein meal was absorbed into the bag.... Which I would burn off (exercise) at a layer time.

Can I have a protein bag level indicator please!!!!

Diagnosed T2 in sept 2013, BS levels 20+. BMI 22, age 58. Requested a GAD test in November, came back very high 2,000+, doc said I would be T1 within weeks, but presently still LADA. On a LcHf diet taking no insulin or medication, and striving to keep my BS readings as low as possible in order to keep as many insulin making pancreas beta cells as possible for as long as I can.

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
I think I have only ever tested to 4 hours. (Memory is a bit shot) So will try the protein thing soon.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I have seen the protein rise and reported it on a few threads. Always find it gets converted over night and only when I have lots - beyond what my body needs for repair. A rather large steak session kept me at 5.6 until after 11am from the night before