First test results since diagnosis

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
The six months is after diagnosis in March, as you say I've just had my 3-month (a bit late because I only saw the DN for the first time in mid-April).

Reactions: 2 people

Adelle0607

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yesterday I had the first blood tests done since my diagnosis in late March. Just been to collect the results, a little apprehensive as I suppose we all are (what if it hasn't worked?) and too impatient to wait for the GP to tell me.

Anyway, here we go:

BONG, HbA1c was 65 (8.1%) on 18 March, now 45 (6.3%)

BONG, Total cholesterol was 6.9, now 6.0

BONG, Liver function (ALT) was 51 iu/L, now a normal 17

Some detail and comment behind the headlines (thank you Mr Bosanquet, that's enough now - Ed)

There was no fasting blood level on the report sheet for some reason, but frankly I don't care - I'll ask the GP when I see him.

On the lipids, HDL was 1.22, now 1.62; triglycerides was 5.66, now normal at 1.97; LDL now 3.48 (they couldn't calculate it before because the trigs were too high). Total:HDL ratio now normal at 3.7 (was 5.7) and trigs:HDL ratio now 1.22 (was 4.64).

So all the numbers are going in the right direction. I'm pleased that the total cholesterol has come down, having understood that it could initially go up with LCHF. As far as I am concerned I'm now at the top end of normal for cholesterol so if the GP mentions statins again he'll get an earful. I think it was @Indy51 who I first saw referring to Trigs:HDL as a useful marker but I can't remember what the criterion was supposed to be!

On liver function, last time they also did Gamma GT which was way high at 217 (should be below 60), but that's not on the sheet either - maybe they only do that if ALT is above normal (>41)?

Along with this my weight has gone down from 90 kg to 76.1 kg, which is a 15.4% reduction, with a BMI drop from 31.1 to 26.2; and blood pressure from a spot reading in March of 160/90 to a steady 125/70 or thereabouts now.

As a British male I'm not given to expressions of exuberance, so I'll just say I'm quite pleased!

Without going Gwyneth Paltrow Oscar speech-ish on you, I would like to thank all my friends and all members on here, which I found on the day I was diagnosed. I couldn't have done this without your support, encouragement and experiences. And laughs.

And finally (Reggie I told you before, get out!) to all you new and recently diagnosed T2s, you can make a difference with a bit of discipline and application. If I can do it so can you!
well done!:) inspiring :) hope I reverse my fatty liver too!
We

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

JohnD54

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rice
@sanguine, proper job, and congrats, we are of a similar age, so just goes to show you can teach on old dog new tricks.

I hope my tests in September show a similar trend, then the alterations to life style will have been worth it.

Watch this space and well done again.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Great job, congratulations! :) I was diagnosed on 9th May and I'm waiting for my test results, I hope they also show some improvement.:)

Reactions: 3 people