Newly diagnosed and bad feet

needle1954

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Diagnosed with type2 last week. Been on tablets since then but my feet have swollen again. I say again because that was the original reason for my visit to the doctor before I was diagnosed.
Is this typical?

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Diagnosed with type2 last week. Been on tablets since then but my feet have swollen again. I say again because that was the original reason for my visit to the doctor before I was diagnosed.
Is this typical?

Hello, I'm afraid I don't know as I am Type 1, but I'm bumping the thread up as others may have the answer.:)

I would have thought though that if your selling in the feet had reduced , then re occured, it may be an idea to see your GP again ?

Signy

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
i,m type2 but don,t have swollen feet but get swollen wrists

Fallgal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I get swollen feet and there seems to be no rhyme or reason. Sometimes they swell when I've walked for miles. Sometimes they swell when I've not walked much that day. Some days they don't swell at all no matter what I do. I try to drink a lot of water and that seems to help *some* of the time. I've been seeing a podiatrist for 2 months, since I also had an infection (since cleared). Low-carbing for the past two months has seemed to reduced the incidents of swelling somewhat.

Every night I inspect my feet, and massage them with cream prescribed by my GP. I also never go without socks and shoes or slippers, and wear very roomy, comfy socks. Check that your shoes are fitting properly (feet size can change!). Elevate your feet when you can and try to drink more water. Other than that, your GP may have some ideas, and may refer you to a podiatrist.

Have you had a routine foot check yet?

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have you got a bg meter and test?
Edema can be bg related, did you also get a diaretic

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
I have some fluid retention in my feet and legs and take a duiretic (spironolactone) tablet to take the fluid out of my system. Diabetes can affect the small blood vessels in your kidneys so ask your doc as this will start with swollen ankles. Also if your sitting down keep your feet up as gravity will pull blood and fluid in your limbs down and into your feet. Sometimes my feet have been so swollen I can't get into my shoes. Take good care of your feet as from experience any wound on them take ages to heal and can become ulcerated. Hope this helps

needle1954

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks guys. No foot check yet - waiting to see doctor. Good news is that the swelling in my feet has got less.
I'm afraid my readings fluctuate a lot from 5.5 up to 9.2. I am watching my diet and testing to see which foods
affect my badly. New to all this of course but trying to stay positive.
Thanks for all the comments and suggestions.

G

graj0

Thanks guys. No foot check yet - waiting to see doctor. Good news is that the swelling in my feet has got less.
I'm afraid my readings fluctuate a lot from 5.5 up to 9.2. I am watching my diet and testing to see which foods
affect my badly. New to all this of course but trying to stay positive.
Thanks for all the comments and suggestions.
Not taking soluble Cocodomol by any chance? Eight tablets contain 50% more salt than your recommended daily allowance.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
I get swollen feet.
I have toes that haven't moved for around three years.
But ... circulation is fine and it seems the toes might be to do with nerve problems that I have in my spine and swelling ... no one seems to answer that one.
This time of year I don't wear socks or tight shoes ... slip in and out ugly crocs ... it helps.

type2kid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you ever tried clogs or loafers? I know its hot during the summer but you may also want to look at therapeutic shoes with some stretch neoprene if your feet swell up a lot

type2kid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is this typical?

Hey Needle1954,

I wanted to share some information with you in regards to shoes for swollen feet. I fear that I'm going to be faced with this as well as I get older. There is this brand in the states called APEX that sells shoes made of a stretch material. Not sure if they ship to the states but take a look.

http://www.apexfoot.com/mens-and-womens-t2400-stretchable-footwear/

Reactions: 2 people

Anie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Only one of my feet swell! It is always my left one. Doesn't do it very often though.

BTW I LOVE my crocs :D

type2kid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Anie,

Have you noticed that when wearing crocs for a prolonged period of walking, you get blisters? I wore my crocs closed toe shoes without socks while travelling amsterdam and ended up getting blisters on my right foot. It really turned me off from the brand and now I only wear them as gardening shoes.