Low blood pressure etc

TopoGigi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Negativity
My symptoms are very much like yours Adele99.
I also have microvascular disease which has affected many organs, eyes, kidneys, heart, etc; I was diagnosed with cardio vascular disease last year resulting in me having to have a Pacemaker and two stents hence my pursuing further investigations at the Automatic Unit at the National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery.
I had badly controlled type 1 Diabetes for 21 years, then as I mentioned I had a Pancreas Transplant over 17 years ago with a normal HbA1c during this time and still have touch wood, so you would think things would get better wouldn't you. Unfortunately due to the earlier years high sugars damage had already been done unbeknown to me until the last 7 years or so when more things are coming to light.
Never say "it won't happen to me," because it might just come back to bite you one day. You might be feeling ok now, so look after yourselves.

Reactions: 4 people

deb1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I also have microvascular disease which has affected many organs, eyes, kidneys, heart, etc; I was diagnosed with cardio vascular disease last year resulting in me having to have a Pacemaker and two stents hence my pursuing further investigations at the Automatic Unit at the National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery.
I had badly controlled type 1 Diabetes for 21 years, then as I mentioned I had a Pancreas Transplant over 17 years ago with a normal HbA1c during this time and still have touch wood, so you would think things would get better wouldn't you. Unfortunately due to the earlier years high sugars damage had already been done unbeknown to me until the last 7 years or so when more things are coming to light.
Never say "it won't happen to me," because it might just come back to bite you one day. You might be feeling ok now, so look after yourselves.
What is wrong with your eyes x

Adele99

We seem to be similar , needed a stent put in back in 2005. Now it's the blocked leg arteries which get on my nerves, as it takes me ages to get anywhere on foot by the time I allow for all the stops. And bypass surgery is out I'm told after having an MRI last year.

To be honest my control wasn't always perfect, but I did stick to my routines and didn't eat lots of carbs, and am still pretty slim. Hormones created havoc with my levels every month though. Lots of business travel with different time zones and delays probably dint help much either.

Hope you get somewhere with the Neurology dept, think it's a bit of an oversight that they don't put a lot of emphasis on the effects of neurological damage which can occur with long term diabetes. And they may come to regret it with the rise in type 2 cases being seen these by days.

Reactions: 2 people

Adele99

I think they checked all my bloods.....my bloods are running 11/12/13 but I'm not working just sitting so I'm finding it difficult to get them any lower but I'm trying. Something just tells me this is more than diabetes but my doctor said it's my diabetes causing your symptoms and go home and take Fludrocortisone and you will be ok. I've never felt so alone
Thank you for taking the time to read and reply to my msg's & also when my symptoms started I was getting flickering vision & now it's nearly constantly there, it's not blurry or foggy, it's just flickering never had it ever before x

Can only sympathise Debs, maybe you need to give the medication time to work and try out the other things suggested to see if it makes any difference overall. Your flickering eyesight could be due to any number of other things not related to Auto nerve damage. Really your GP and diabetic clinic professionals are the people to investigate things and rule out other possibilities.

Can say if you're mainly sitting around most of the day , then it could very well make this symptom considerably worse as your blood will be pooling in the legs. Can you try moving around a bit more ? Obviously safely.

deb1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Can only sympathise Debs, maybe you need to give the medication time to work and try out the other things suggested to see if it makes any difference overall. Your flickering eyesight could be due to any number of other things not related to Auto nerve damage. Really your GP and diabetic clinic professionals are the people to investigate things and rule out other possibilities.

Can say if you're mainly sitting around most of the day , then it could very well make this symptom considerably worse as your blood will be pooling in the legs. Can you try moving around a bit more ? Obviously safely.
Yeah I been moving around alittle & I stood and ironed a few little items, still shaking and heart rate high but I managed but my eyes flicker like crazy always. I just don't think it's all diabetes but like you say it effects us all differently.
I really appreciate you feedback adele99, it's keeping me sane xx

Adele99

Well I'm up sorting a low blood sugar. Just dawned on me flickering vision is sometimes the only warning I get to check my blood levels, as it means they're low. But it doesn't happen at any other time, and I only notice the flickering if looking at a light or PC screen.

I know doctors sometimes diagnose things based on what seems the most likely cause. I'm assuming they've already checked your pressures for orthostatic hypotension? And have ruled out any other obvious reasons like inner ear problems ?

If things don't improve , ask for a 2nd opinion . It certainly could be diabetic auto nerve damage causing this, but they should rule out other causes just in case. My sister once said when she was young and went to the doctor with a problem, she was told it was caused by a virus, now she's older she says anything she sees the doctor about, she's told it's her age. Lol.

Try not to worry about the unknown as it doesn't help , stay focused on doing what you can to help yourself, and don't be fobbed off if you're not happy with how things are going.

Look after yourself. I'm back off to bed.

Night.

deb1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Well I'm up sorting a low blood sugar. Just dawned on me flickering vision is sometimes the only warning I get to check my blood levels, as it means they're low. But it doesn't happen at any other time, and I only notice the flickering if looking at a light or PC screen.

I know doctors sometimes diagnose things based on what seems the most likely cause. I'm assuming they've already checked your pressures for orthostatic hypotension? And have ruled out any other obvious reasons like inner ear problems ?

If things don't improve , ask for a 2nd opinion . It certainly could be diabetic auto nerve damage causing this, but they should rule out other causes just in case. My sister once said when she was young and went to the doctor with a problem, she was told it was caused by a virus, now she's older she says anything she sees the doctor about, she's told it's her age. Lol.

Try not to worry about the unknown as it doesn't help , stay focused on doing what you can to help yourself, and don't be fobbed off if you're not happy with how things are going.

Look after yourself. I'm back off to bed.

Night.
You too look after yourself x

Adele99

Found a good article for you on Ortho Hyptension. There's a couple of tiny , easy to read tables embedded in it which you need to enlarge to be able to read , with things you can do to help the symptoms. Some of them have already been mentioned but you could maybe print out or save these tables as a reminder.

Using a tablet and haven't learned how to post links so if you google - '
Preventing and treating orthostatic hypotension : As easy as A,B,C

And follow the link to the website for nim.nih.gov , you should be able to find it.

I learned a couple of things from the article as well, so maybe worth a look to see if anything helps. x

deb1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Found a good article for you on Ortho Hyptension. There's a couple of tiny , easy to read tables embedded in it which you need to enlarge to be able to read , with things you can do to help the symptoms. Some of them have already been mentioned but you could maybe print out or save these tables as a reminder.

Using a tablet and haven't learned how to post links so if you google - '
Preventing and treating orthostatic hypotension : As easy as A,B,C

And follow the link to the website for nim.nih.gov , you should be able to find it.

I learned a couple of things from the article as well, so maybe worth a look to see if anything helps. x
Aww thank you so very much for taking the time to look xx