My mom's sugar level are way to high, very nervous what to do???

AMALforMYmom

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Everyone,

My mom is recently diagnosed with diabetes. Her reports are as follows:
FASTING BLOOD SUGAR : 21 MMOL/L
POST PRANDIAL BLOOD SUGAR : 28 MMOL/L
HB1AC : 12%
MEAN BLOOD GLUCOSE : 19.44 MMOL/L
Doctors have asked her to get admitted, but my mom does not want to get admit. Doctors have suggested to take 4 shots of insulin 15 - 12 - 12 - 12 - 05.
She had bitter melon juice and her sugar level reduced to 111, some of the doctors have suggested not to skip the last shot of insulin (05). Some of them suggests to continue with the medication suggested. Since she is not hospitalized, how to change the insulin intake/dosage?

Is it ok if she skips the shots if her sugar level has lowered down?

This is the first time we have encountered with these problem, totally confused and nervous what and how to proceed? Shall i hospitalize her?

Please suggest. Waiting for suggestions.

Thanks and best regards,

Amal

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It is difficult to give proper advice remotely. Those sugar levels are very high but not dangerous at present unless she feels unwell. Being admitted is the safe option as the hospital will give her insulin and discharge her with some guidance. If there is a good diabetes nurse in you surgery she should be able to give proper insulin guidance and must do that having prescribed it. Do you know what insulin type she has been given? Has she got a glucose meter; this is essential? Do reduce the amount of carbs your mother is having and she should have plenty of water. Use the meter to test for low blood sugar to avoid any hypos i.e. blood sugar below around 4 mmol

Reactions: 2 people

AMALforMYmom

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
thanks for ur reply.
the problem is, she is scared of getting hospitalized. good thing is that she does not have any problem, she did not even know about it, i noticed weight loss when i saw her after 3 months and got these tests done. since her sugar level is very high, i wanted to know, can it be taken care at home with insulin and tablet or it is kind of fatal and risky to keep her at home? Her sugar level has come down to 270 after two hours of meal and insulin dosage of 12.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I can't help as regards the insulin, but do think she should be brave and go to hospital and be admitted. They will look after her, sort out her insulin, and give you help on how to use it. Then she can come home. It is the best place for her.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Your mum needs to be under medical supervision whether in hospital or not and put this to them for an answer

Does she have ketone blood or urine strips. It is very important not to have high BG and ketones over 1 without medical assistance. Without trying to scare your mum DKA needs to be watched out for. High, BG and ketones is a trip to A&E straight away

Get your mum to join the forum

After this initial period of course insulin adjustment under direct medical control
The first thing they may do is to get the long acting basal insulin fine tuned
http://www.diabetes-support.org.uk/info/?page_id=120

There is an online course and workbooks that may help your mum understand what she is being told
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/newly-diagnosed.60873/#post-583801

AMALforMYmom

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
thanks @Bluetit1802 and @jack412 . thanks a lot for replying. her fasting sugar level was 13 mmol/l today after 12 hours of insulin. doctors have advised to reduce the insulin unit by 10, earlier she was on 44 units per day.
i wanted to know if it is a good sign? is she recovering? are we in condition where in we dont need to take much tension? or is it still at alarming level?

thanks!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
thanks @Bluetit1802 and @jack412 . thanks a lot for replying. her fasting sugar level was 13 mmol/l today after 12 hours of insulin. doctors have advised to reduce the insulin unit by 10, earlier she was on 44 units per day.
i wanted to know if it is a good sign? is she recovering? are we in condition where in we dont need to take much tension? or is it still at alarming level?

thanks!

I can't advise you on any insulin matters as I am type 2 and don't need insulin. I would suggest you make another post in the Type 2 with insulin forum, you should get some better replies there. http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/type-2-with-insulin.57/

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It is very good that her levels are lower. I think that it is important at the moment to keep to the advice of your doctors. It will take time to get her levels more under control.

It is important that you keep checking her glucose levels and letting the doctors know both if they start going higher again and if they fall too low.
As she is using insulin then it is possible that her levels may fall too low at times that is less than 4mmol/l (72mg.dl). At this stage it, probably won't happen but It's best to know what to do http://www.diabetes.org.uk/upload/Languages/New/English/Hypoglycemia-Eng.pdf

NB I did go to hospital when I was diagnosed with levels just slightly higher than your mothers. I have to say I am glad that I did. It took a few days to lower my levels to normal but then I spent time learning about how to manage my condition. I don't know how old your mother is but I was 52 (and was diagnosed as T1) I have lived a very fit and active life since then.

There are ways of adjusting your insulin such as shown in the workbook linked to by Jack but at this stage it isn't really appropriate since the focus is lowering her high levels gradually
That method also only works a certain insulin regime and we don't know what type of insulin she is taking.

AMALforMYmom

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
thanks @phoenix :) my mom is 50 years old. yesterday her level had come down to 111. we skipped the last dosage of 5 units then. thanks a lot for replying.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Those levels are still high but not dangerously and obviously coming down. In general levels above 20 mmol 2 hours after a meal need to be watched especially if she is eating few carbs and burning fats in the body. Before I went onto insulin I went into the 20s mmol sometimes without problems but mostly stayed in the teens or less. With insulin I don't go into the teens very often now. Keep at it and you should reach that point. Keep her weight in the good range by adjusting the carbs she eats and then adjust the insulin over time to match

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You said you skipped the last one, was that a long acting basal?
It's important to take the basal shots unless the dr has told you different.

The quick acting bolus is the one you adjust for a meal or miss if not eating a meal

Nyxks

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Discrimination based on gender, age, medical conditions, etc.
I was never admitted to the hospital despite my GTT readings it was though I could manage everything myself at home without issue (long term correct action in general - short term bad idea as I was in denial and not willing to listen fully to what i was being told).

Levels coming down is a good thing over all, but if she isn't willing to take care of herself on her own then she needs the kick in the pants that the hospital might be able to give her plus the education that they will give her (and you if you choose to attend) to make sure she understands what is going on and her options for care will be.