Reverse Telescope

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey!
Been diagnosed type 1 for 1.5 months now. Was feeling ok about it at first but now reality has hit in. I heard about this psychological coping mechanism where when u get bad news ur mind distances from it like looking down the wrong end of a telescope.

Anyways I've been feeling pretty low for about a week. The only feeling I can relate it to is grief. Not sleeping, feeling low, finding life quite tough.

Any one experienced this post-diagnosis? I hope it gets better with time.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I suspect we all felt this way post-diagnosis, so your not alone Emmotha.

The first few weeks and months are always the worst as there so much to take in, the shock of being told you have diabetes is hard to accept and you start ask yourself ''why me.'' The grief analogy is a good way of putting things as you are mourning for your past care-free life.

Be assured it does get easier and all will fall into place in time, type 1 diabetes is a condition that you can live a long and happy life with provided you manage it well, if your struggling with your emotions then I suggest you have a chat with your diabetes team, they can offer you help and advice to help you overcome this difficult period.

Good luck!!!!

edit, spelling mistake.

Last edited by a moderator: