The high fat bit ....

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Been at it for three days now plus I had a buttery bullet proof coffee this morning and got an amazing mental lift off that but ... I'm not very active right now ... won't be until after my op if I get it and then It won't be for a year afterwards that I can get physical again so ... is high fat and not doing much physically a good idea?

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Eat normal protein and count the calories about 60-70g
250 cal?
Cut carbs to 50g
200 cal
Make up your total intake with fat
100g
900 cal

Total cal 1350

jim1951

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Been at it for three days now plus I had a buttery bullet proof coffee this morning and got an amazing mental lift off that but ... I'm not very active right now ... won't be until after my op if I get it and then It won't be for a year afterwards that I can get physical again so ... is high fat and not doing much physically a good idea?

if you are low carbing you need the high fat just to stand still. If you are not doing much physically then you are also standing still:)

jim

Reactions: 2 people

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
I do not think you have to worry about the fat, even if inactive. Keep the carbs as low as possible and watch the protein. 10g protein = 5g carbs (approx), but protein will not show on your meter for 4hrs maybe longer, sometimes I find a high protein meal (lots of meat) takes days to come through.

Diagnosed T2 in sept 2013, BS levels 20+. BMI 22, age 58. Requested a GAD test in November, came back very high 2,000+, doc said I would be T1 within weeks, but presently still LADA taking no insulin or medication, and striving to keep my BS readings as close to 'normal' as possible in order to keep as many insulin making pancreas beta cells as possible for as long as I can.
Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
Thanx you wonderful people ... no way could I get information like this from the surgery.

Sunspot

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Bad food, junk food, processed food.
There's a really good nutrition calculator you can use on a website called phlaunt.com She has other good things on it too and a recommended book for diabetes and low carb. I haven't read it but i like the articles on her site and i don't know where i'd be without the nutrition calculator. You just put in your personal details and how many carbs you want to eat per day. It works out your calories , protein and fats. You decide how much weight you want to lose or calculate for maintenance. I haven't seen others of these but i think its a more useful way than simply counting carbs because if you are not careful, you can also end up eating too many calories and gain weight. Of course to make it all work i have to log everything in a calorie counting diary. I use my fitness pal. I'm new here so i don't know what else most people use.

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There's a really good nutrition calculator you can use on a website called phlaunt.com She has other good things on it too and a recommended book for diabetes and low carb. I haven't read it but i like the articles on her site and i don't know where i'd be without the nutrition calculator. You just put in your personal details and how many carbs you want to eat per day. It works out your calories , protein and fats. You decide how much weight you want to lose or calculate for maintenance. I haven't seen others of these but i think its a more useful way than simply counting carbs because if you are not careful, you can also end up eating too many calories and gain weight. Of course to make it all work i have to log everything in a calorie counting diary. I use my fitness pal. I'm new here so i don't know what else most people use.

I find foodfocus.co.uk very helpful. It analyses nutritional content, combined with a weight goal, exercise/calorie estimate, and a daily calorie target to aim for in order to lose weight. I ignore its advice on balance of carb/protein/fat because I'm following LCHF but that makes no appreciable difference to being able to follow the weight and exercise goals.

Sunspot

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm suggesting a different sort of calculator than what you think. What you are talking about is the same thing as my fitness pal, which is the food log i use.

What i'm suggesting above at phlaunt.com is a low carb site that tells you how to determine how much fat and protein to use for a chosen number of carbs when you are following a low carb diet, given your weight height and weight loss goals. e.g. i said i wanted to do 40 carbs so it told me i i need to consume so many grams of protein and then how many fats to eat but not to go over 90g. (I actually can't remember the protein - i never seem to eat enough) but had i not done this i would be just making wild guesses and getting it all even more wrong.

You do not need to access this calculator on a daily basis like my fitness pal or no doubt food focus. You just get your starting point and maybe revisit it when your weight and goals change significantly. I haven't seen a calculator like this anywhere else though they possibly do exist somewhere else.

Reactions: 4 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm suggesting a different sort of calculator than what you think. What you are talking about is the same thing as my fitness pal, which is the food log i use.

What i'm suggesting above at phlaunt.com is a low carb site that tells you how to determine how much fat and protein to use for a chosen number of carbs when you are following a low carb diet, given your weight height and weight loss goals. e.g. i said i wanted to do 40 carbs so it told me i i need to consume so many grams of protein and then how many fats to eat but not to go over 90g. (I actually can't remember the protein - i never seem to eat enough) but had i not done this i would be just making wild guesses and getting it all even more wrong.

You do not need to access this calculator on a daily basis like my fitness pal or no doubt food focus. You just get your starting point and maybe revisit it when your weight and goals change significantly. I haven't seen a calculator like this anywhere else though they possibly do exist somewhere else.

My Fitness Pal does exactly that. I typed in that I wanted to eat 70g carbs and it told me how much fat and protein to eat to maintain the correct calories for my circumstances.

Sunspot

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I wouldn't rely on those numbers because MFP is not designed to cater to low carbers - they are actually against it. With low carb diet calculator it also asks you how long you've been doing low carb so it can adjust for that. You need extra protein in the beginning of a low carb diet. And there are other factors of information the one i suggest gives. Why not just check it out to see what i mean. I promise you i have no personal interest in the website except that i find it good and useful.

Reactions: 5 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
Well I aint counting or weighing stuff just now.
Half a stone gone and very stable blood sugars within what eight days I'm thinking.
Smaller portions too.
Seeing how it goes and then making adjustments as needed I'm thinking.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I wouldn't rely on those numbers because MFP is not designed to cater to low carbers - they are actually against it. With low carb diet calculator it also asks you how long you've been doing low carb so it can adjust for that. You need extra protein in the beginning of a low carb diet. And there are other factors of information the one i suggest gives. Why not just check it out to see what i mean. I promise you i have no personal interest in the website except that i find it good and useful.

I'll have a look at it, thank you. I was more interested in having the right amount of carbs and the right amount of calories. MFP worked for me as I lost virtually 3 stones and have control of my BS. However, I will have a look and see if there is any difference.

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Sunspot, I would find your suggested site useful I think. I try to eat to my meter, but I usually override my meter's advice in order to factor in protein. However, although I know that others on here have said how to adjust for protein, I have forgotten the maths calculation they have suggested. I just have a stab at it, and invent an insulin dose ad hoc. I never eat huge amounts of protein, I never want to, so my 'invented' unmathematical dose is usually one or two units. So I'll have a look at phlaunt.com. Thank you. :)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh, and regarding your question about eating fat and being sedentary.

It's actually all about the carbs. The higher your carbs are, the more insulin you will produce. And it is insulin that tucks fat away into body fat.

No carbs >>> no insulin >>> no weight gain, inflammation or carb problems.

What reading I have done supports that idea, and my experience backs it up.

Reactions: 9 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.

It's actually all about the carbs. The higher your carbs are, the more insulin you will produce. And it is insulin that tucks fat away into body fat.

Thanks for that Brun ... I need reminders of what I'm doing ... not why but what.
A guy who could eat or starve and never notice any difference in life to suddenly trying to get my head round all this ... well.
I sometimes think I've cracked it but ... lot to learn.

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Have used this site as you suggested, and found it easy to understand and put into practice. Excellent. Thank you again for this link .

Sunspot

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
You can eat too much fat too. Fat can be stored as fat without insulin. So you can't eat it till the cows come home without consequences. Just something to bear in mind.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You can eat too much fat too. Fat can be stored as fat without insulin. So you can't eat it till the cows come home without consequences. Just something to bear in mind.

You can eat too much of anything.
Common sense is a useful life skill.;)
Mind you, it has taken me decades to discover that!

modesty007

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only

Absolutely agree, if keeping carbs low or very low then very little sugar get stored as fat, yes there's ASP (acylation-stimulating protein) but this is a very minor player compared to insulin.