Cannula not sticking!!

AIKIDO MAN

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi all, sorry for not being in touch recently but i've not been too well. Problem I have is that i'm really struggling to keep my cannula stuck for the 3 days it's intended to be there. If I can't resolve it i'm seriously thinking about going back on injections which I don't want to do as I had so many problems when on these. I have heard of things like 'skin tac' but don't know how good they are. Could do with some good advice as i'm going away soon and would like to use my pump for normal use and also for swimming (lots).

Thanks

Ian

notned

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes, cirrhosis, lymphoma, acronyms, green celery (because it's lazy), those computer programs that nag you night after night to download them and then, when you do, present reams of conditions and threats for you to accept before they'll run. DVDs that start with 5 minutes of threats - if I'd pirated it, then I'd surely leave those out.
Fascinating. I don't know about pumps and such but I do recall giving up smoking three times with those stick on patches.

The first time was successful. When they got me up to Lodge Moor they stuck me in a bed with ashtrays all round. I protested but was told I'd more things to worry about. Later that Monday evening I'd smoked 5 Hamlet (supposedly one a day when I bought them) and was out of funds. My wife wasn't due until the Friday night! I made sure I had money subsequently!

The second and third times (and the point at last) the patches wouldn't stick. I even tried holding them in place with Elastoplast and surgical tape. No go.

PS. The third time I used nicotine lozenges.

RHNtype1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Days when my blood sugars do not work for me, HOWEVER these are now rare days as I have a pump after 33+ years of diabetes.
Hi there, not too sure but in the very warm weather I only need to do part of my usual exercise class to be covered in sweat and that can mean that just my clothes rubbing a little later makes the cannula come out or at least the sticky bit come off, it happened tonight and mine usually stay on for 3-4 days comfortably.
I try to make sure that when I put a new set on I am just out of the shower so no sweat or body lotion can affect the stickiness.
When I was abroad recently I found swimming in the sea or pool made little or no difference if the Sun shone on me afterwards and the sticky bit dried quickly. I did carry an extra box of sets just in case though. Have a great holiday.:D

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

AIKIDO MAN

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Like wise RHNtype1. I only ever replace my cannula when i've had my shower but am still really struggling to keep them on. Big prob for me as sometimes they come off within 24 hours which isn't good. Oh well i'll just have to keep trying

Thanks

Aikido Man

RHNtype1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Days when my blood sugars do not work for me, HOWEVER these are now rare days as I have a pump after 33+ years of diabetes.
Hi again, how is it going for you these days? Any breakthroughs on the manuals? Rx

RHNtype1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Now that I look back and see my predictive text took over on that post,so sorry, for manuals read cannulas.LOL.Rx