High HBA1C 9.6

SanjayB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, my name is Sanjay. I was diagnosed with Type 2 three years ago. In Feb 2013, I had a HBA1C reading of 6.2. In April this year, it was 8.2 and now, it is 9.6. I take Metformin 500mg 2 x twice daily - morning and night. I had the flu last month and also engaged in a bout of heavy binge drinking. Could these be the cause of my high HBA1C reading and how do I reduce my suga level? Appreciate any advice. Thanks.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hi Sanjay, you need to tell us what your diet is like,, what food do you eat?

Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Sanjay and welcome.

It looks like you need to start taking control of your diet and lifestyle to stop these figures rising further. Having the flu and binge drinking won't have helped with your last result, but the one before that wasn't good either. As Dawn said above, give us a clue about your diet and we may be able to help you.

SanjayB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi dawnmc and Bluetit1802, thanks for your posts. I am 45, Indian ethnicity, 6 feet tall and weigh 65kg - down from 73 when first diagnosed three years ago. I eat four small chapatis (Indian bread) for breakfast with a large mug of tea. A plate of basmati rice and meat (chicken, beef, lamb) curry for lunch, apples or fruit salad for an evening snack and four chapatis with stir fried veggies and a little basmati rice for dinner. I indulge in a piece of chocolate or other sweet occasionally, have two mugs of coffee a day (with milk and Equal). Drink alcohol once every two months or so (quite heavily), quit smoking 18 months ago. That's a snapshot of my health and habits. Again, thanks for your advice.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
In my opinion there are too many starchy carbs and sugars in your meals, which will not be doing you any favours. Did you know that bread and rice are amongst the worst foods a diabetic can eat if he wants to keep control of his sugar levels? All carbs turn to sugar once inside the system, some more quickly than others. Bread and rice are quick release, along with potatoes, pasta, pastry and batter. In fact anything made with ordinary flour. Perhaps you cut consider cutting these down? Fruit is also something to watch carefully as it also is full of sugar. A small apple may be OK but a fruit salad may not, depending which fruits and how much, and whether it is home made or shop bought. Try cheese for a snack or a few nuts, and what about a plain yogurt for breakfast with a few berries thrown in, or a good old English fry up (bacon, eggs, tomatoes, mushrooms)? Have a think what you can do.

SanjayB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Blueti1802, thanks for your post. I will try and reduce rice and chapatis and increase nuts, cheese, berries etc. I love the English brekky, so will give that a go. Is bacon ok? Thought it was fatty. What about wholemeal and multigrain bread, which is what I try to eat. There is so much conflicting advice on the internet, so I thought I will ask someone from a reputed forum like this one. Regards.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
By the look of it your diabetes is getting worse with the diet you are on and the progression of the disease

Is the dr advising more medication because you may need it till you can see if a change in diet will help get your diabetes under control

With a high a1c like yours I would do the Atkins induction diet or lchf
Basically it's no grain, no grain product or potato and other starchy veg

Lots of above ground veg and fat with normal protein

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Unless you have other illnesses that warrant a low fat diet, increasing your good fats isn't as bad as you think. If you cut the carbs you have to get energy from somewhere else and the only options are increased fats and/or increased protein. There is no need to go overboard with your fats, just don't actively avoid them. Bacon and eggs is fine. Multi seeded bread is better than ordinary wholemeal, but still not good. You will only know if your body can cope with any of your foods by testing them with a meter. Test before you eat and then at 1 hour and 2 hours after. The higher the rise the worse it is for you. We are all different in what we can and can't cope with. It is a steep learning curve but needs to be done if you are to control this disease.

Reactions: 2 people