CGM Cost

steree

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes
Hi new to the whole forum thing, I have a metronic pump that really has changed the way that I live and I do often go high and low quickly however I am considering having a CGM, but the cost of this is something that I cannot afford, its about £100 initial set up and then monthly around £500, I do think that this can be something that will help with my monitoring and balance my levels< i was wondering if anyone had any experience of sponsorship or NHS involvement in getting a CGM.
Thanks

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Steree and welcome.

The monthly cost should not be anywhere near as much as £500. It's not cheap but it's not that much.

steree

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes
Thanks Spiker, I was quoted this from metronic, do you know the on going cost for this? Cheers Steve

shedges

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Steree,
When I went onto the Medtronic pump, 3 years ago, the sensors were quoted at £40 each (less if you buy in bulk) and last for 6-7 days... so I reckon nearer £250 per month. I managed to get one on the NHS due to inexplicable blood sugar levels which really helped with setting my basal rates.

Talk to your DSN and see if there's a way that the NHS will fund a single unit for you - be prepared with a specific reason. If you like it then I'd consider getting more. Personally, once I'd used the information, I didn't see the point in the ongoing cost.

Sam.

Flowerpot

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Steree

I use Medtronic Enlite sensors with my Veo pump. I would re check the price with Medtronic as the initial set up cost would be more than £100, you need to buy a transmitter as well as the sensors. I think the cost of sensors is roughly £50 per sensor and the maximum time I can get from one is 7 days, the sensor stops at exactly 6 days use but you can re-link it to the transmitter and get a further 22-24 hours from it. The transmitter is quite costly, it is guaranteed for 6 months but mine has so far lasted 3 years.

Medtronic had an offer for a set up kit, transmitter, 5 sensors and charger at a reduced cost earlier this year, it would be worth checking their website occasionally to see if there are any offers.

Definitely ask at your pump clinic to see if they can loan you a CGM for a week to see what you think of it and how it might help you. NHS funding is considered on an individual case basis and is usually for hypo unawareness resulting in a danger to your safety.