LOW CARB SUCCESS STORIES

coreservers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
gone from 4 x 500mg metformin 1 x gliclazide daily.... to 0 meds in 3 weeks, bg 2 hours after eating.... 5.8 sticks between 4,5 and 6.8 all the time now.... wow.... oh and lost 4 kg

Reactions: 5 people

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
Back down to a more comfortable level; HbA1c of 6.2% in old money 44 in new.

That's good; if I can drop that amount again (0.4%) I can get back to my lowest ever HbA1c of 5.8% - let's see what my new high intensity training for lazy people will do!

Best

Dillinger

Reactions: 4 people

Sketcher

Dislikes
Other people's cats in my garden
Coming at this a bit late but I have managed to achieve normal BG readings through low carbing. I did it in three stages over the course of a year: at each stage I had a HbA1c and my dose of Gliclazide was reduced until I could come off it entirely; all done in consultation with GP and DSN.

To combat the digestive effects, I eat masses of salad (easy on the tomatoes), above-ground veg like cabbage, spinach, cauliflower; and frequent use of virtually carb-free fillers such as Eat Water Slim Rice and noodles (Ocado and Holland & Barrett) but the best is "barenaked noodles" (H&B) which are much more like pasta than the Eat Water products. With all of them you just rinse and then sling them in the pan with whatever you're having with them: bolognese, chilli, curry, etc. I also use a bread substitute which is mostly seeds; it does have some carbs but only about a tenth of the lowest carb breads that you can buy ready-made: Sukrin bread mix (from Amazon). It's expensive but a couple of thin slices at breakfast means that a small loaf will last me more than a week; you can keep it in the fridge because there's no wheat in it to go stale.

I hope that helps.

Regards

Tom

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

GaryNW1

Hi All,

Diagnosed with T2 in Jan 2013. Very serious about managing BG levels so used this forum quite intensively to glean some really helpful insights - so thanks for contributing!

In 14 months I've managed to turn around the following readings (Jan 2013 - Mar 2014): Started out with Gliclazide 80 then up to 160mg for a few weeks, then down to no meds at all since.

HbA1c from 10.1% to 5.6% (87 to 38)
LDL from "TOO HIGH" to 2.4
HDL from 1 to 1.5
Triglycerides from 7.6 to 1.4

Obviously low carbs was key, but so was exercise, LOADS more more salad and vegetables. And er, red wine... but also cut out sugar as much as possible.

To reduce the bad cholesterol I used loads of around almonds on my porridge, add loads of nuts and seeds, increased my omega 3 intake too... and virtually cut out bread, pasta and potatoes - although I did have odd weak moment

The docs at my local GP surgery are saying they have never seen anything like this before - it actually made their day. That's gotta be worth sharing?!

Gary.

paulins

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Feeling I can never eat anything sweet again or anything with carbs. But thought of diabetes complications scares me more so it is a no brainer!
Diagnosed in January - very low carb diet since then. I think the results below speak for themselves! It works! I too feel I know so much more now than many health professionals and I learned much of it from this forum. I am so grateful!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 9 people

paulins

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Feeling I can never eat anything sweet again or anything with carbs. But thought of diabetes complications scares me more so it is a no brainer!
Well done Paulins. That is excellent.

Thanks @Bluetit1802 It has been a long, hard journey as you clearly know ( I see you were diagnosed in January like me, and that you have also lost a huge amount of weight), but it has been worth it. As of yesterday I moved into the 'normal weight' category and I haven't been there for years. I was, and still am, so determined to achieve low BS readings and if possible reverse the diabetes. But even if I can't achieve this I am much thinner, much healthier, am on the treadmill every day and do 5k each time, and am completely determined to avoid all the possible and many complications that can come with diabetes.

1 st and 6 lbs to go. My next worry will be how to maintain this weight and not put the pounds back on!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Paulins - I doubt you will have too many issues, long term, bearing in mind your determined, pragmatic approach so far. I bet you may be a bit like me and "struggle" to keep your weight up for a while. I'm don't get very hungry any more and eating less than pre-diagnosis just isn't an issue.

Bearing in mind all factors your journey has been remarkable, so far.

paulins

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thanks @AndBreathe - I hope you are right but suspect you are as I don't often feel hungry now at all, and sometimes even have to remind myself to eat! My 'old self' would not recognise my 'new self'!

I would now like this year to be over! Quite enough challenges for one year I think!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @Bluetit1802 It has been a long, hard journey as you clearly know ( I see you were diagnosed in January like me, and that you have also lost a huge amount of weight), but it has been worth it. As of yesterday I moved into the 'normal weight' category and I haven't been there for years. I was, and still am, so determined to achieve low BS readings and if possible reverse the diabetes. But even if I can't achieve this I am much thinner, much healthier, am on the treadmill every day and do 5k each time, and am completely determined to avoid all the possible and many complications that can come with diabetes.

1 st and 6 lbs to go. My next worry will be how to maintain this weight and not put the pounds back on!

Thank you Paulins. It is a worry how to maintain the new weight without losing or gaining. I have accidentally lost another 2lb since reaching goal. It needs a bit of thought and planning. At least I haven't gained! Keep going Paulins, you have done so well and you will get there.

Reactions: 2 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @AndBreathe - I hope you are right but suspect you are as I don't often feel hungry now at all, and sometimes even have to remind myself to eat! My 'old self' would not recognise my 'new self'!

I would now like this year to be over! Quite enough challenges for one year I think!

I think, bearing in mind Prof Taylor forewarns of a slight weight gain (I'm assuming due to more food going through the gut, being digested, and starvation mode being fended off) at the outset of a more normalised way of eating, it makes sense to pre-plan your assault on the maintenance regime and really think about when to bring it in. Of I had thought I would have continued to lose, albeit slowly, I would have brought in my maintenance slightly earlier.

paulins

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
That's very sound advice @AndBreathe. I think that I will look into the maintenance plan to stabilise my weight, and perhaps begin to try to slow the loss down quite gradually over the next couple of weeks. This week I plan to eat a little more to prepare me for the surgery next Monday, as I think my body will need a little help! I had to smile this morning - I was drying my hair, in my nightie, and my husband came in with a coffee. He thought that my bones round the collar bone were sticking out and made me look a bit scrawny. Me!!! Scrawny!!! You have to laugh.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's very sound advice @AndBreathe. I think that I will look into the maintenance plan to stabilise my weight, and perhaps begin to try to slow the loss down quite gradually over the next couple of weeks. This week I plan to eat a little more to prepare me for the surgery next Monday, as I think my body will need a little help! I had to smile this morning - I was drying my hair, in my nightie, and my husband came in with a coffee. He thought that my bones round the collar bone were sticking out and made me look a bit scrawny. Me!!! Scrawny!!! You have to laugh.

Paulins - I made a comment on another thread about others' perceptions of us as we lose weight. Our self image, and the image others have of us can differ, as I'm sure you appreciate. For some others, a significant change in how we look can be very unsettling, and they can worry (often subconsciously) about what any other changes might be, and how that might impact on our relationships with them. Some "others" also find someone else's changes to be threatening; especially if they feel they should be making similar changes themselves. I'm not thinking of you and your husband in this regard, as I would have no idea how your dynamic works, or what he feels about what you are doing. It's a more general observation.

I have spent a bit of time thinking about this, primarily due to a comment I had a couple of weeks ago from a friend here who said that I'm now "getting real skinny. I mean real skinny." (You do have to think that in an American accent, by the way. ;)) This particular lady has been trying to shift a modest amount of weight and is finding it quite tough. I don't think she's at all jealous of me, but I think she is more accutely atuned to what's going on with me, because of what's going on with her. Does that make any sense?

I think you're doing the absolutely right thing by giving your body a bit more to work on over your next physical assault, but I know you'll be very sensible, and I think your strategy of trying to slow up the last bit of loss is also very wise - especially bearing in mind how few calories you have been routinely eating. Moving that up to your new normal in one step would probably be quite scarey, and I know I would be exceedingly nervous in your shoes.

All in all, I'm sure you will be absolutely fine.

How long are you expecting to stay in hospital around your next op? Not too long, I hope.

Look after yourself..

paulins

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@AndBreathe, I think you are absolutely right! My work colleagues, most of whom know nothing about the diabetes and why I have been trying so hard to lose weight, have responded in a variety of ways. Some have been very positive and supportive (e.g. 'You look great! 'Can you tell me how you have managed this?), while others are really quite critical and judgemental (e.g. 'You don't want to lose too much, it really makes women of a certain age look so much older!' and 'Do you worry about the inevitable wrinkles and loose skin?" and 'If you lose too much more you will simply look ill!)). My husband is great! Very keen to help me achieve what I have set out to, cooks me lovely meals and has recently joined me in the weight loss journey. He is sensible and makes sure I am too! He had much less to lose!

With the next surgery I expect only to be in hospital a few days - and if I can get home sooner I will! I think I do much better at home, as do most people, and apparently as soon as the drains are out they'll let me go. I recovered quickly from the last surgery on 7th July, and healed very well, so am hopeful that this will be the case after Monday's surgery. Last time I did 2 x 5k on the treadmill each day for 4 days prior to the actual operation (morning and evening), then had 4 days off - back on the treadmill on the Friday. So, in effect I did not miss any sessions and my fitness was not really diminished. First few times I did 3k, then 4k, then 5 so was back to normal. I have been doing a lot of reading about nutrition, superfoods, and boosting the immune system, and realise I have already been eating many of the things they recommend, and have not been eating sugar, carbs, dairy, meat (very, very little), so this weekend I bought green tea, black tea, cinnamon, turmeric, etc etc and have begun to introduce some of the other things they recommend into my diet. They advise that "If it doesn't sprout or rot, throw it out'! So I have scoured my fridge and done exactly that! I feel the same as I did last time - I just want it over so I can start to heal and move on with the next stage. But I will continue with the efforts to reverse this diabetes - I can control what I do and what I eat, and a little bit of control at this point is very welcome!

Reactions: 2 people

Susiespearish

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

Wow Paulins your a complete inspiration to me .Your starting weight is close to mine and if you can do that in eight months then I have GOT to try that diet out .Thank you and so well done .

paulins

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi @Susiespearish - it is definitely worth it! As of yesterday I am 10 st 13 lbs, so only 13 lbs to go! My fasting levels are now always in the 4s, with the occasional 3. The exercise is a must though - 5k every day on the treadmill. Good luck!

Susiespearish

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Susiespearish - it is definitely worth it! As of yesterday I am 10 st 13 lbs, so only 13 lbs to go! My fasting levels are now always in the 4s, with the occasional 3. The exercise is a must though - 5k every day on the treadmill. Good luck!
That is unfortunately where it all goes wrong for me then .I have trouble climbing the stairs now without bringing on my Angina :-( I'll have to hope that as i lose weight it improves my ability .I'll start with swimming :)

@Stevehessle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
My diabetes has recently gone absolutely out of control, after a heart attack. The latest HBA1C was 19.2 , so drastic action required. To complicate matters, I was put on insulin 2 days before coming out to Ukraine, so am effectively on my own
Since arriving, I have cut my intake of carbs to one small piece of bread per day, no potatoes, pasta, rice or fruit.
The result isvthat over the last 5 days, my meter has not displayed a reading over 8, which in a way is a bit disappointing, although 6 days ago, it was 18 plus.
I'm going to continue with this to see how it goes and will update accordingly.

Reactions: 8 people