What is happening

NICNAK68

Ever since Friday I have felt really awlful, my blood sugars have been all over the place, yesterday if I did anything other than sit I would come out in an awlful sodden clothes sweat then followed by feeling cool and clammy. Today I have aches and pains all down my back. I tried to contact my DSN bothe yesterday and this morning but have not had a call back yet.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
sounds like you are having a rough time of it, and this may be the cause of the dodgy blood sugars..........

what have your numbers been like?

have you checked for ketones......[I am assuming your insulin dependent...]....

NICNAK68

Thanks for answering me, my bloods are over 10 all the time at the moment.

Yes I am a type 1 but havent tested for ketones as dont know how too

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
it can be done with urine sticks, or if possible, a separate blood ketone test strip/meter..........

doesn't sound like you have any of those, so you should inquire about getting the meter/test strips as they are more accurate....

are you managing to eat as normal? if you are that's good as ketone production is increased when there is a lack of fuel in the body..

in the meantime, if your on multiple injections, I would keep trying to eat if you can and keep giving yourself corrections at meal times, you could also think about upping your background dose to help bring down your readings.....

be prepared for hypos at all times remember...:)

NICNAK68

I am eating little and often yes.
daren't touch my backgroud insulin - knowing me I'd totally ****** it up
Thank you for you wize words you seem to know a lot about diabeties x

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
lol, why do you not want to change your background..........

it actually needs constant monitoring and adjusting quite regularly....

if your not confident enough that's OK, but worth getting to grips with it for the future.....

the increase would only be temporary until your illness goes, it saves chasing your tail with bolus corrections you see........

Reactions: 2 people

NICNAK68

Really, I've been stuck on the same background and ins-carb ratio for years.

I will have to find a good book to read on how to do things like this

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Iwill have a look at that site, no there is no DAPHNE running around here, it takes forever for a nurse to get back to you in an emergency !!

Don't wait for the DSN to reply, get yourself off to your Dr's if your still feeling bad, being poorly since Friday is a long time without seeking medical attention.

NICNAK68

I am seen at the Diabetic clinic at the local hospital and mean to have access to DSN but they never call me back when I have a problem.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I am seen at the Diabetic clinic at the local hospital and mean to have access to DSN but they never call me back when I have a problem.

As said don't hang around, just see your gp instead.

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The hassle and ignorance of diabetes.
Ever since Friday I have felt really awlful, my blood sugars have been all over the place, yesterday if I did anything other than sit I would come out in an awlful sodden clothes sweat then followed by feeling cool and clammy. Today I have aches and pains all down my back. I tried to contact my DSN bothe yesterday and this morning but have not had a call back yet.

Hi @NICNAK68 ,

It sounds like your diabetes control could be suffering with the sultry / humid heat. I used to suffer like this when the weather changed drastically, and even now it can knock my levels all over the place.

Keep testing, watch and make a note of what you're doing, drink plenty of water and keep chasing the DSN's - get an email address if you can (if it's not on the hospital website, call the diabetes unit and ask for the relevant DSN's email address) - or your GP.

Good luck.

P.s. Which hospital are you attending?

NICNAK68

Thanks for the replys, my DSN still hasn't got back to me and the dietician didn't show up at hospital appointment - lol.

By all accounts DSN are ot allowed to communicate via email ( I have asked this previously)

I will just read through thess forumns and try to get my head around controlling my diabeties myself.

I go to QE Hospital in Kings Lynn, Norfolk

Reactions: 3 people

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The hassle and ignorance of diabetes.
Thanks for the replys, my DSN still hasn't got back to me and the dietician didn't show up at hospital appointment - lol.

By all accounts DSN are ot allowed to communicate via email ( I have asked this previously)

I will just read through thess forumns and try to get my head around controlling my diabeties myself.

I go to QE Hospital in Kings Lynn, Norfolk

Perhaps they're not permitted to respoond by email? At the very least, you could email your results, etc., trough to them so that they can have a look and then speak with you on the phone about them???

If that's not possible, ask them if you can data share via Diasend... http://www.diasend.com/en