Met the new DN - hmmm

sunspots

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Rather disappointed as I hoped my new DN would be more enlightened. We 'discussed' blood glucose levels ('of course they are higher than normal - you're diabetic', 'but I want to get them as close to normal as possible', 'but you're diabetic' etc.) and diet ('your ketones are really high. You should eat everything in moderation'). She didn't comment on my weight loss or reduced waist circumference - I think she knew I'd say 'see, that's low carbing that is!'

But she was very nice and very helpful in other ways, I just hoped she'd be more carb conscious.

Reactions: 4 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So you are suppose to have high bg....that's good to know

jim1951

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Am booked on Desmond course in 2 weeks time. Don't know how far to stick my neck out on low carb topic. Do I rock the boat and maybe confuse other participants or just let it fall on my deaf ears and keep the peace?

jim

Reactions: 4 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had a funny course where it was said in the same breath that you count carbs and low carb meals are good for BG, low fat is good. Eat from the pyramid and a lot of grain and starchy veg is good.
There was a blank stare when I asked how can you eat low carb and low fat?
And there is no such thing as a ketogenic diet because your brain needs 100's of carbs to run on

All you can do is shrug your shoulders and get as much other stuff you can from the course

Reactions: 8 people

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm going on a "diabetic awareness" workshop two afternoons in August........feeling much the same regarding what "advice" we will get (run by the diabetic nurses) I told my nurse all about my lchf yesterday and she wasn't so enthusiastic but then said I was doing well with my recent levels (although of course said not really needing to test too often!!) At the end she did say I was well informed (smiled at that because my newly gained knowledge is from being here !! )

Reactions: 5 people

sunspots

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Strangely my new DN rang me yesterday because I had complained about my inability to sufficiently minimise the Dawn Phenomenon. She said she would look into it and then rang to say she would refer me to the dietician for advice. She made a note of my carb limits for the referral (usually under 30g, definitely under 50g). It'll be really interesting meeting the dietician. I do hope she is LCHF friendly.

PS @kimbo1962 - She actually advised me to do some testing beforehand to give the dietician some results! (I am self-funded in testing). They are all so very different aren't they....

Reactions: 6 people

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Sunspots! Ive been doing under 50g carbs on lchf for four and a half weeks too. Im also self funded on meter and strips but wouldnt be without it! Interesting to see what dietician has to say!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Last edited by a moderator:

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
My DSN is actually a diabetic too....I listen and take her advice seriously and feel it's quality advice from a fellow sufferer. She's an angel...lucky me lol:)

Reactions: 5 people

sunspots

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Hi Sunspots! Ive been doing under 50g carbs on lchf for four and a half weeks too. Im also self funded on meter and strips but wouldnt be without it! Interesting to see what dietician has to say!

I'll try to post when it happens - I've no idea how long I'll have to wait.

Reactions: 2 people

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Kimbo...ask your DSN for an out-patients prescription form for test strips. She should have gave you a FREE meter if she truly cared, as soon as I got in the door of my first DSN appointment she gave me a Accucheck Avivia and a Glucomen LX meter and repeat strips (quantity 50). Your qualify for free prescriptions and are exempt from charges if you are diabetic and that even means non diabetic related meds.:)

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
She did say - when i mentioned i was testing that she wouldnt give a meter to a newly diagnosed patient, would give them three months to try and improve!

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Kimbo...just keep hinting that you'd rather check your BGs regular and the NHS should be paying for the test-strips, they are expensive (Accucheck £28 for 50 strips) way pricey if it's out of your own pocket !

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Kimbo...just keep hinting that you'd rather check your BGs regular and the NHS should be paying for the test-strips, they are expensive (Accucheck £28 for 50 strips) way pricey if it's out of your own pocket !
Only if you are purchasing "over the counter" online/direct or NHS pay a lot less!

sunspots

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
I bought a GlucoRx Nexus because the strips are much, much cheaper and I was too short of cash to keep paying my Aviva strip prices.

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The hassle and ignorance of diabetes.

I met with some reps from Roche recently... they've (re-)launched a no-frills, low price meter and strips: the Accu-Chek Active. £9.95 per pot of 50 strips, with an 18 month in use expiry.

mpe

Rather disappointed as I hoped my new DN would be more enlightened. We 'discussed' blood glucose levels ('of course they are higher than normal - you're diabetic', 'but I want to get them as close to normal as possible', 'but you're diabetic' etc.)

Even then why not try for a close to "normal" as possible?

and diet ('your ketones are really high.

Which appears to only be an issue if it results in a pH below 7.35.
Whereas glucose, which dosn't affect the pH, is a problem if it is present at too high a concentration in the blood.