Set issues - blood at site (low body weight issue?)

SophieH

Hi everyone!

Gosh i haven't posted in a while. i am coming in a time of slight desperation - although after writing this my perfectionistic and maybe slightly paranoid side will probably be exposed.

a little overview. I have been a pumper since the age of 11, and in the last few years have struggled with an eating disorder. I have been in recovery, and am currently getting myself back on that path after a small relapse in the 2nd half of my first year at uni.

One of the contributors to my relapse was high blood sugars - a lot of my eating disorder centred on a fear of carbohydrates/crb restriction; however, i have never omitted insulin, this to me would defeat the purpose of what my ultimate aim was - to get better blood sugar control.

I realise i've digressed… but it has relevance i promise! So my actual problem currently is the number of infusion sets that just don't quite work. My blood sugars don't soar catastrophically, but they will be mid-teens when usually they run so so well in single figures. My diabetes nurse joked my control is "not normal" sometimes, because it's so tight! I do obsess over it - i admit to that.

I use the 13mm silhouette cannula. I use my love handle area, but that does have wuite a lot of scarring now. I tried my thigh, that didn't go well! I tried my stomach once in revet months (the area i used when i first got the pump) and it was incredibly painful. When i feel pain at the site, and see my blood sugars up, i often change the site and when i do blood kind of squirts out the site area… not pleasent! It's like the insulin is partly working, but not fully? I know it's not just my blood sugars going up - you know when you just know these things? Becase a week ago my control was really good, all working quite seamlessly.

My BMI is currently around 18, maybe slightly lower, and i am looking to gain weight. Well… for me that is a struggle to get my head round. I do have body image issues and this has only be exacerbated by undernourishment in recent months. But after ultimatums from my mum about me returning to uni, and quite simply being fed up with having a functioning eating disorder, i am trying to actively change again - choose recovery. In the last 3 weeks i've made a concerted effort to get myself back on track. After restricting carbs to under 120g and calories 1000 or less since March, i am now having about 160-170g carb a day, calories i reckon 1700. This is higher than it was even at the start of uni, so is progress. However, I know i need to get it more. My body is in a huge calorie deficit, and to truly recover from this illness i need to have proper renourishment amounts. Carbs need to be higher; i still obsess over them and avoid so many foods because of it! But to help this process i need to try and get these sets to work better. It makes the whole thing a hundred times more difficult - i see the higher numbers again and again and it makes every mouthful of food a struggle. It also makes me question that i need it; the temptation to go back to restricting carbs is there, but it's also my biggest fear as that life is hell. My body also can't take much more, i don't think - it needs to be nourished.

Any help or advice would be appreciated a MILLION times over! If anyone also is struggling with eating issues and happens to stumble upon this, please do message me - it's often a problem that is overlooked, diabetes and EDs, which i think is ludicrous and needs to change.

xx

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I'm lean and muscly.

I cannot use my stomach at all due to occlusions and hitting muscle or the sets falling off due to sweating when I'm doing my job.

My legs gush with blood and cause obviously high levels because the blood actually seeps up the tubing so not delivering insulin.

I have used my bum with 6mm stainless steel cannulas. I cannot use flexible cannulas due to my muscles and too many occlusions. My bum has also been used for the majority of my 30year insulin giving. No lumps or bumps at all.

Are you aware that you can increase your calories by having more foods with fat and protein? Fat does not make you fat, that is a total myth.

Loving life

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I think you know as well that higher quantities of carbs can make bg levels harder to manage. It gives more room for error.
I'm not saying to lower your carbs at all, as it is obvious that you want to ensure your weight is stable, but have you considered perhaps having more fat in your diet? If you are having difficulty managing your levels on high carbs have you increased your rates to cope with the extra carbs?

The reason I ask this.. Is... At xmas when I eat a lot more carbs I have of course, the extra bolus given.. Hiwever, I have to put my pump on to 250% tbr basically for the whole time I have extra carbs all day. The reason I have to do this is:- my body and pump normally run on a ration of about 50% basal and 50% bolus. So when increasing my bolus's it completely throws out my ratio's working correctly. I have to increase my basal aa well as carb counting correctly and giving the bolus's. I do mot change the bolus ratio's as obviously it is just giving the extra qty of bolus.

Please look at how much bolus you are having in relationship to how much basal you are having.

Loving life

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you have a carb phobia. Have you tried more of a lchf diet
http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf

As Donally said. More protein if kidneys ok and healthy fats and oils
Google fat bombs. It's a way of getting your energy intake up

Last edited by a moderator:

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Low carb does not necessarily mean weight loss!! The weight loss or gain will still depend upon the calories going in to you.
I love extra fat, double cream in my coffee, or full fat yogurt or cream on my berries in the morning.
My weight has pretty much stabilised since adding more fat in. (I am lean and muscly). Initially because I don't eat a lot of carbs I did lose some, but I have managed to put it back on with adding more fat in to my diet, and not more carbs.
Its just a suggestion as high carbs do not generally assist people in getting better bg levels.

Loving life