Tablets (oral)
Ok thanks better get my little sparkly machine out of its box lol

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello- could I ask 'this is too difficult' which foods exactly he has cut out to lose the 4 1/2 stone? That is a brilliant achievement. Did you follow any particular diet or adapt your own? Thank you :)

janmoore

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry if I seem daft just what ive learnt on here is all totally opposite to what nurse told me, do you think mabe because as she said ive just tipped over into diabetes so she has given me info as if I didnt really have it? That doesnt make much sense lol but struggling with the fact shes got it all wrong

Reactions: 2 people

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
Hello- could I ask 'this is too difficult' which foods exactly he has cut out to lose the 4 1/2 stone? That is a brilliant achievement. Did you follow any particular diet or adapt your own? Thank you :)
The answer to that is actually a bit embarrassing. For the first month I almost stopped eating because I am a huge coward.
I was testing from the start and figured out that the advice on NHS web site (I got none from docs) did not work for me.
I went low carb and my readings Plummeted.
Then I started to feel unwell.
I found this site and was told to add more fat to my diet and bingo.
BG good and losing weight.
Eat to your meter is my mantra.
So the answer is all high carb foods have been reduced or removed from my diet.
Bread, rice. potatoes, pasta and anything made from grain. Tropical fruits are also not good for me.

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That is fascnating. In January I was prescribed Orlistat and went on a very low fat diet to lose weight. I came off this at the end of May but was still keeping to the low fat. Then out of the bue I was diagnosed as diabetic. After reading this thread I cannot help wondering if this low fat diet has causedthe problem. Of course I was eating a lot more carbs than I had been to try to fill up.

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
Sorry if I seem daft just what ive learnt on here is all totally opposite to what nurse told me, do you think mabe because as she said ive just tipped over into diabetes so she has given me info as if I didnt really have it? That doesnt make much sense lol but struggling with the fact shes got it all wrong
That is fascnating. In January I was prescribed Orlistat and went on a very low fat diet to lose weight. I came off this at the end of May but was still keeping to the low fat. Then out of the bue I was diagnosed as diabetic. After reading this thread I cannot help wondering if this low fat diet has causedthe problem. Of course I was eating a lot more carbs than I had been to try to fill up.
It probably didn't help

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.

No it's because for the most part they don't know what they're talking about concerning diabetes. Or they just blindly follow the NICE guidance which is equally at fault. We all went through this revelation. Fortunately with diabetes, T2 at least, we can do whatever makes sense and what works for us as far as diet is concerned.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

Most NHS staff will churn out the "eat carbs with every meal, your carbs should be 50% of your plate, eat low fat" It is out of date and just plain wrong. All carbs turn to sugar once inside your system, some quicker than others. Try to remember that Carbs = Sugar and you won't go far wrong. The worst culprits are rice, potatoes, bread and pasta, plus a lot of fruits. A few nurses are more enlightened, but they are a rarity.

The others above are right in advising you test out your meals by testing your blood immediately before you eat, then ideally at 1 hour and 2 hours after. You can then see what difference that meal has made to your sugar levels. be prepared to be in for some shocks if you eat a carby meal!

As for your blood tests, I suggest you ask your doctor's receptionist for a copy of the computer print outs because I'm not at all sure which tests you have had as your post isn't really clear. You really need to know properly, and will find it useful in the future.

Don't stress or panic. It is all daunting at first but it will soon become second nature. There is so much help and support on this forum, so just jump in and ask as many questions as you like.

Reactions: 3 people

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Are you ok with bananas? How about fruit? sorry to be so inquisitive

janmoore

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks sanguine and bluetit its shocking to learn the knowledge or lack of it at your own gps.as for the tests all I know is the first one was done ss psrt of my annual health check along with bp etc then dr called me to advise a fasting blood test 2 months time which is when I got another call from gp to say yes youre diabetic prescription will be at front desk! Nurse advised me yesterday of the numbers of the 2 tests 9.7(random) 6.9 (fasting) the rest is a mystery lol

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
Thanks sanguine and bluetit its shocking to learn the knowledge or lack of it at your own gps.as for the tests all I know is the first one was done ss psrt of my annual health check along with bp etc then dr called me to advise a fasting blood test 2 months time which is when I got another call from gp to say yes youre diabetic prescription will be at front desk! Nurse advised me yesterday of the numbers of the 2 tests 9.7(random) 6.9 (fasting) the rest is a mystery lol
Did they use the word random?

janmoore

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes.....as it was a general check up thetefore hadn't fasted, I sssume

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Are you ok with bananas? How about fruit? sorry to be so inquisitive

Bananas are very high in sugar so best to avoid them, as well as most tropical fruit and grapes. Best fruit for us is berries - blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, strawberries. Not huge amounts, and best with double cream. If you need to sweeten them a bit, sprinkle on some desiccated coconut.

janmoore

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dont know how to quote a post lol but I was told 9.7 then 6.9 she said it shouldnt be higher than 6, also told me with regard to the bg monitor thst it measures differently to the plssma testing done by gp and that a reading of4-9 Iis normal (using bg monitor)

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dont know how to quote a post

Just press the reply button below the post you want to quote instead of just typing in the reply box straight away.