Honestly...I'm an idiot

Katie_Smurf

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am type 1 - have been for 18 years. Never well controlled. I've got massive mental health issues as well. Yesterday I fell of the wagon in everyway I possibly could have...I hadn't taken my insulin for 24 hours (diabulimia wagon fallen off), not eaten since Tuesday afternoon (ED wagon fallen off) and didn't take my MH tablets for 48 hours.

Before anyone says it, yes I am an idiot.

I guess I could just use support in keeping a balance with MH and diabetes...if anyone has advice that'd be wonderful.

I'm seeing my DSN and Dietitian tomorrow but I'm terrified about telling them what a mess I made of today/yesterday.

I feel horrendously ill even though I injected and my BG is 7 now.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Put it down as schite happens
Beating yourself up over it isn't worth it

Thundercat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Every day is a new beginning. Giving out to yourself about what you have done only serves to make you feel worse which leads to more self destructive behaviour. I know it's difficult telling the professionals about our lapses but saying it out loud to them instead of hiding away as something shameful gives you a more positive and controlled result. If you feel they are not being supportive, tell them. They are there to help and it is by trying to work with them as a team that you will benefit the most. I sometimes think that it's impossible for non-diabetics to understand the complicated feelings that can arise around food and bg control. Give yourself credit for all your victories however small and learn what you can from the lapses. You are already part of the way there by wanting to gain control. Good luck with your appointments.

Reactions: 5 people

Geordie lass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hope you're feeling better Katie. I am sorry to hear that you have been a little off! Even with the best intentions we all "slip" at times. Diabetes is hard enough without other things going on too! I admire your honesty, and no, you are not an idiot. Talk it through with your DSN. This may help you in the long run. Let us know how your appointment goes. Take care. M x ;)

Reactions: 6 people
D

Deleted member 83869

You will get there in the end! :) And you are not alone! You have us guys! Wish you all the luck in the world and hope you get better soon! xx

Reactions: 2 people

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
I think we all have the occasional day of denial and poor control. Put it behind you and make a fresh start.

Reactions: 4 people

Katie_Smurf

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks mo and Nicola. It was bad I think. The doc said he'd known people slip in a coma with my number. Ketones were 3.6 or something...dunno how bad that is x

D

Deleted member 83869

Oh that's bad then I was above that I think, and was in and out of consciousness! You will get there though! Have they given you anymore help etc? xx

Katie_Smurf

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry it's taken me ages to reply to this. I'm doing much better now, except my blood sugar testing has been slipping the last few days. I seem to really struggle to keep it going.

Also, I was going to ask you guys if you have any advice; I'm going to Egypt for 2 weeks from August 19th, and I haven't travelled with diabetes for about ten years. Is there anything I need to keep in mind or just generally make sure I have? I'm getting a letter from my DSN and I've ordered a medical ID tag and a Frio wallet and my DSN has given me some dextrogel. I'm also going to be taking some dextrotabs etc. Just want to make sure I have all bases covered.

x x x

Adele99

Can't advise on things to take abroad, other than have good insurance but please try your best to keep your blood levels level while out there. The last thing you want is to spend time in a foreign hospital when you're supposed to be having fun.

Hope you have a great time.

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
Take a spare set of pens,insulin etc just in case. I assume your have your EHIC card - that's the European Health insuarnce Card. It seems that you've thought of the other things - those Frio's are excellent. As I am a worrier I printed off the contacts of the insulin provider in the country I was going to - see link for some handy advice.http://www.diabetes.org.uk/travel
Most importantly - try and enjoy :)