MY FIRST DN APPOINTMENT

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Under the terms of the data protection act they cannot withhold info they have on you. They are only allowed to charge for the cost of the printout. A few pence? Not allowed to make a profit. Complain to manager in first instance if no result Clinical Commissioning group.

Sounds like they are treating the request like a Subject Access Request, as defined by the Data Protection Act, for which the data provider can charge £10. I know of organisations who apply this, even to employees requesting information on themselves (HR files, or third party memos concerning them from third parties), and state the reason is to limit the requests to those that really need the information/stop time wasters. In these circumstances, that seems somewhat commercial of the GP.

Another option @kimbo1962 would be to make an appointment to see the nurse, then ask for the results to be displayed, on screen, so that you can write them down. I wouldn't usually advocate this sort of behaviour, as, frankly, it's a waste of both your and her time, but I would be extremely annoyed with their attitude. Caring profession? Not always, it would appear.

Reactions: 4 people

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sounds like they are treating the request like a Subject Access Request, as defined by the Data Protection Act, for which the data provider can charge £10. I know of organisations who apply this, even to employees requesting information on themselves (HR files, or third party memos concerning them from third parties), and state the reason is to limit the requests to those that really need the information/stop time wasters. In these circumstances, that seems somewhat commercial of the GP.

Another option @kimbo1962 would be to make an appointment to see the nurse, then ask for the results to be displayed, on screen, so that you can write them down. I wouldn't usually advocate this sort of behaviour, as, frankly, it's a waste of both your and her time, but I would be extremely annoyed with their attitude. Caring profession? Not always, it would appear.
I am back at the surgery for blood results and foot check with DN next Thursday so firstly I'm going to check their list of charges that I'm sure they have on display for letters etc.......then if results are not listed on there I shall be calling the practice manager to query and start my complaint!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 5 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Yay, go Kim!

Reactions: 2 people

claymic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Mo, I'm gradually improving now that I am on insulin (and a lot of it too lol) and it has no side effects but you do have to monitor your blood glucose every day and do injections...a lot of "ouch" in my life now. Thanks for asking, appreciated.
Hi may i ask how many units you are on? Have you put on any weight?
Thanks

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Kimbo
I was at a meeting this afternoon and GP charges were raised as a matter of concern. It appears that many gp's do not display them and charge what they like. The example given this afternoon was of a patient being charged £130 for an insurance document. When the patient said Ican't afford that the GP said "ok then £50".

Our group for East Northants patients are looking in to this matter to see if there is anything that can be done to standardise charges for our patients, ensuring charges are displayed and CCG members are going to heck this out with NHS England.

I will let you know progress...(it will be slow!,) nothing moves fast in the NHS....

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 4 people

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
Claymic, it's in my signature below...sorry Humulin M3 and I take 52 units in the morning and 36 units at dinner time. Thanks:)