Hi Guys I have just joined hoping I can get some answers on my new diagnosis of type 2 Diabetes

mjd46

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just been diagnosed with type 2Diabetes and have been put ob medication just worried about side effects .Can anyone tell me what to expect :(

mjd46

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
They are called Metex Xr 500mg , I am a bit hesitant taking them as I feel I can diet and exercise to drop my levels , which are about 7.00 mml in mornings and go down two hours after I eat to 6.6 mml

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
G'day you can try diet only, it's up to you
What diet?

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Metformin, particularly the Slow Release version, is very safe and without any real problems so don't worry about taking it. If you aren't yet low-carbing then you may well find that does all you need without meds so I would try reducing carbs first

mjd46

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Jack just following diabetes diet of plenty of fruit and veggies small portions. Miss my glass of wine though !

mjd46

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I wanted to see how I would go on diet and exercise but doctor says I have to start medication , but don't I have the slow release tablets , when do side effects occur , only been on them two nights

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
@mjd46 wrote, "just following diabetes diet of plenty of fruit ….".
Fruit has been described as "nature's candy". Do be aware that many fruits contain lots of sugar, especially tropical ones. Bananas especially, are sugary starch, so probably need to kept well away from. This household only has very, very small portions of fruit on a very occasional basis as a special treat.
@mjd46 also wrote, "doctor says I have to …..". It's only a personal view and one you may choose to reject, but no doctor tells me I have to do anything. They are there to advise, and it is up to you if you want to take that advice or not.
Sally

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You have the slow release and the same as I take. Lose tummy and heat burn, it should go in a week
You take 1 tab for a week, then take 2

I wouldn't do the healthy grain 5+2 unless you want to make it worse.
A lot here do lchf or Atkins
http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf