Car insurance

shedges

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
There's loads of comparison websites out there - easily the best way to find the cheapest insurance.... comparethemeerkat.com, confused.com, moneysupermarket.com ... Once you've put your details in and trawled through the quotes you get an idea of what you're likely to pay. And they save your details too, so you don't have to put them all in again next year.

Reactions: 4 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I use both the websites that Shedges has mentioned to find the best deal on car and home insurance, it saves a lot of time ringing around or form filling.

Just be aware that some firms don't subscribe to these comparison websites so you might not always get the best deal, if I'm not mistaken Direct Line is one of them.

Reactions: 2 people

jessica16

There's loads of comparison websites out there - easily the best way to find the cheapest insurance.... comparethemeerkat.com, confused.com, moneysupermarket.com ... Once you've put your details in and trawled through the quotes you get an idea of what you're likely to pay. And they save your details too, so you don't have to put them all in again next year.

Hi, thank you for your reply. What about my diabetes? Will they still be cheap? :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

shedges

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Comparison sites allow you to cover about 80-90% of the market. I haven't seen my quotes change drastically due to diabetes. Other factors are more influential, such as your age, the car make and model, engine size, where you live, where you keep it at night, annual mileage, etc. there's no magic button. You just have to try them and see what you get.

Sam

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The hassle and ignorance of diabetes.
I use both the websites that Shedges has mentioned to find the best deal on car and home insurance, it saves a lot of time ringing around or form filling.

Just be aware that some firms don't subscribe to these comparison websites so you might not always get the best deal, if I'm not mistaken Direct Line is one of them.

And ever wondered why they don't like to be compared? Every time I've gone to them for a quote I'd be around £300 worse off!

One thing to note @jessica16 is that it is illegal for insurance companies to add an addtional / special premium or refuse you cover as a result of your diabetes - providing, of course, that the DVLA are aware and your medical practitioners have cleared you for driving. To be sure you aren't being penalised, first fill in the online forms without declaring the diabetes and 3-year licence run the search and save/print the results. Then edit your search correcting the relevant info and see what happens. If the best quotes are changed, contact the company and request the cover at the non-diabetes price - if they refuse, speak to a manager/senior manager and ask to know why it is that they are presuming you to be a less safe driver with diabetes (when all the current DVLA / UK insurance broker evidence points to the complete opposite).

Good luck.

Reactions: 2 people

ArtemisBow

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Weirdly when I told my car insurance company that I now had diabetes, it lowered the premium! Maybe diabetics are more conscientious of the state they drive in? Either way I was glad that there's at least one perk to being diabetic :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
And ever wondered why they don't like to be compared? Every time I've gone to them for a quote I'd be around £300 worse off!

Does depend Conrad, I've been with Direct on and off for years and find them very competitive for the likes of home insurance, however it does pay to shop around and find the best policy. Always best to check what the excess is on a policy as some are ridiculously high.

Reactions: 4 people

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The hassle and ignorance of diabetes.
oc
octagon car insurance is the cheapest

Really... the year before last they were for me, but this year it's the co-operative - especially because I also got Breakdown cover for just £34 extra, rather than £170+ for the likes of the AA and RAC, etc.

Sometimes the cheapest isn't always best value; as others have stated, it's best to check around and consider all the variables.

buckmr2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Exercise
What's cheapest for one is likely not to be for someone else as everybody's circumstances are different....'how long is a piece of string". springs to mind!
Excess, job, age , mileage, car model, postcode (if your neighbour has claimed it can increase your premium as you're then classed as being in a higher risk area!) and numerous other things affect your premium. Working in an extremely busy insurance approved bodyshop some insurers insist on 3rd party aftermarket parts, some on genuine etc . Sometimes it may pay to go direct to an insurer rather than through a broker.
As said above insurers aren't allowed to increase your premium due to diabetes as long as DVLA are aware and have issued a licence otherwise it could be construed as discrimination.
With my insurance I added a parent as an additional driver which also brought my premium down approx 20% even though they're unlikely to drive my car and I'm in my 40's!
Good luck.

rachil

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Other
Getting your car insured may be your top priority as it is mandatory by law. But before finalizing the policy i would recommend to research online well. I know one such comparison tool where you can compare car insurance quotes in advance. These quotes are provided by top insurers of UK. Here is the link quotemeonline[at]co[at]uk