BG meters

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Does anyone have experience with comparing BG meters for accuracy? This came up for me because I've had to switch between meters, as at the beginning I wasn't given enough strips. so I got them online: first an Aviva Nano, then an SD Codefree because it was so much cheaper. Away on holiday I used the SD, but have now had to switch until I get more strips.

So I tested the other meters this morning, doing three fingerpricks straight after one another, and here are the results;

Contour XT 6.4, 6.5 and 6.6

Nano 5.6, 6.2,, 6.0

SD Codefree: I only had one strip lef: 5.6

On the basis of that, my Contour is doing better. All I ask is that it's consistent. I'm not asking to be perfectionist about this. But is there any experience about which meters are good, and whether the SD Codefree is reliable?

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
A preliminary look found this 2012 document published in the Journal of Diabetes Science and Technology. Also a press release put out by the European Association for the Study of Diabetes, which mentions SKUP, the Scandinavian Evaluation of Lab Equipment for Primary Health Care. SKUP tests meters in use in Scandinavia and publishes the results as pdfs. Meters tested tho don't include the SD Codefree (tho they do include the Contour XT, which gets a good result, as does the Accucheck Aviva, but this isn't the Nano - see picture on p 10). The Nano gets a good rating tho in the first link given above (Journal of Diabetes Science and Technology).

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was involved in testing a couple of meters against control solutions. The SD codefree reads high by about 1mmol. in the range up to about 10mmol. After that it gets progressively higher until when reading a control solution of 16.7 it actually read 23.

Reactions: 2 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Most meters claim an accuracy of +/- 15%. I've heard that the SDCodefree may not be as good as that but I've never used it

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
A preliminary look found this 2012 document published in the Journal of Diabetes Science and Technology. Also a press release put out by the European Association for the Study of Diabetes, which mentions SKUP, the Scandinavian Evaluation of Lab Equipment for Primary Health Care. SKUP tests meters in use in Scandinavia and publishes the results as pdfs.

Various US consumer reports on meters are behind a paywall. The SKUP ones seem best - but they only test meters considered for use by the national health services. SD Codefree isn't on that list.

Anyone seen anything? The SD Codefree is important, because so many of us use it, because strips are cheap.

Lucy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Anyone seen anything? The SD Codefree is important, because so many of us use it, because strips are cheap.

I like cheap and I like owning a SD codefree. When I first got it I wasn't happy due to its inaccuracy. When I got over it I tested the meter against one that was quite accurate and learned to make allowances. Now I knock one mmol off when I record the reading which makes the reading just about identical to my Freedom Freestyle Lite which is what the nurse thinks I am using.

Reactions: 4 people

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
There is a set of SD Codefree control glucose solutions available on Amazon for £7. Two ranges: medium BG levels and high BG levels. Anyone used these? They ought to set the mind at rest.

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I like cheap and I like owning a SD codefree. When I first got it I wasn't happy due to its inaccuracy. When I got over it I tested the meter against one that was quite accurate and learned to make allowances. Now I knock one mmol off when I record the reading which makes the reading just about identical to my Freedom Freestyle Lite which is what the nurse thinks I am using.
Squire,
Yes, I completely get the point, which is that the SD is a real choice while most others aren't (on price grounds). So long as it's consistent, I think that's fine. I like the SD and do not want to knock it. Just asking for experience like yours.
Lucy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There is a set of SD Codefree control glucose solutions available on Amazon for £7. Two ranges: medium BG levels and high BG levels. Anyone used these? They ought to set the mind at rest.

When I compared the Freestyle Lite and the SD I used the Abbott control solution on both of them in order to make comparisons. Abbott publish the content of their solutions so I knew what they were supposed to read and therefore I could tell how accurate the meters were.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
One other point about the SD. You mentioned consistency. Yes, I have found it consistent (although a bit high) and it is usable. As you say its main feature is it is affordable.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
It's a pointless exercise comparing meters as you never get the same reading twice, even when using the same meter.

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It's a pointless exercise comparing meters as you never get the same reading twice, even when using the same meter.

But it does matter that they're reasonably consistent, Noblehead. And some are more accurate - which means that some are less accurate.

Lucy

I'm LADA - 55, BMI 23, moderately active. First
diagnosed T2 June 2014, then after positive GAD antibody test diagnosed T1 two weeks later. Initial HbA1c 117/12.9%, fasting BS 17. After 6 weeks on LCHF, HbA1c down to 78 / 9.3% !! Average fasting a.m. BS currently 6.6. Metformin 2g/day

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
But it does matter that they're reasonably consistent, Noblehead. And some are more accurate - which means that some are less accurate

Of course that is true Lucy, but if your in doubt about your bg results you should do a control solution test as per the manufacturers instructions.

What I'm saying is you rarely get the same bg reading twice even from the same meter, they are not a precision instrument and do have a +/- accuracy of 15%.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Never done that many comparative readings Squire, want would be the point as it seems like a waste of test strips?
It enables me to use the SD meter with some knowledge regarding what the readings mean. They are consistent, they are high, they are useful and they are cheap.

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It enables me to use the SD meter with some knowledge regarding what the readings mean.

Do you do that regularly Squire? Just seven tests this morning were quite a hassle ... I was all fingers and thumbs, and did a lot of sticking.

But that's just what I was asking for - SD feedback - thank you !

I'm LADA - 55, BMI 23, moderately active. First diagnosed type 2 June 2014, then after positive GAD antibody test diagnosed type 1 two weeks later. Initial HbA1c 117/12.9%, fasting BS 17. After 6 weeks on LCHF, HbA1c down to 78 / 9.3% and dropping! Average fasting a.m. BS currently 6.6. Metformin 2g/day

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you do that regularly Squire? Just seven tests this morning were quite a hassle ... I was all fingers and thumbs, and did a lot of sticking.

But that's just what I was asking for - SD feedback - thank you !

I'm LADA - 55, BMI 23, moderately active. First diagnosed type 2 June 2014, then after positive GAD antibody test diagnosed type 1 two weeks later. Initial HbA1c 117/12.9%, fasting BS 17. After 6 weeks on LCHF, HbA1c down to 78 / 9.3% and dropping! Average fasting a.m. BS currently 6.6. Metformin 2g/day

No. I do not test so much these days. I have a fair idea what damage I am doing to myself without the testing. I did one test using the SD today. No surprises though,.

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
I have tested using SD test solution. Both my codefrees seem to read towards the bottom of the range which is 5.0-7.8.
My other meters seem to read in the middle of the range. They are all however consistent The code free seems to read about 0.5 low in the 4s and about 1.0 low when it rises to the 8s. As I don't Use medication which requires it to be spot on it works fine for me.:)