Hard this isn't it?

Sunstreaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Attended GP who had not seen me for a while back in February , as I am 51 he requested routine blood screen. Bloods came back showing high fasting blood sugar. 6.6 I think, I was a bit gob smacked at the time to remember. He asked me to see the DNS. Two weeks later met and was given a hand out with sensible health eating suggestions and a request to increase exercise, which I took badly as I was in the gym 6 days a week for an hour plus each day. Yes I was overweight but was lifting weights and had muscles. DNS suggested I had another FBS in three months. I read the leaflet and being a healthy eating pescarian ignored most of it. I cut down on snacks but not on portion size and three months later presented for the repeat smugly having lost a stone in weight. Next day call from DNS Fasting 6.2 but HBC1A 6.5 so she was not suggesting possible type 2 and not pre-diabetes.
This shocked me into radical changes to my diet. Took out all bread, past ,rice and potatoes and mainly ate fish and vegetables and cheese. Weight just fell off. Started a bit of self-testing. Bloods were good mainly in 4-6. Next fasting was 5.4 but DNS would not commit to going back to pre-diabetes also by now had lost 2.5 stone. Still overweight according to BMI but I can see any body fat, still got muscles but much smaller now and I am a wisp of my former self. Then I went on a week all inclusive holiday to the sun. Stayed off the carbs but enjoyed slight potion size increase and a bit too much red wine, which I had not drunk for 6 months. Returned and bloods were going all over the place. Mainly mid 6s some as high as 8 a couple of hours after eating. Now I am worried my next HBC1A will be high in September so a bit deflated and resigning myself to type 2 diagnosis. Struggling with all this but I guess that’s all part of the fun!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You have all of August to be good and put matters right. Behaving for one month before the blood test works wonders ...honest. Would I lie to you?

Reactions: 4 people

Sunstreaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I didn't think a few glasses of red wine and a couple of halfs of larger over a week after abstinence for six months was being bad. Something else I can't have I guess, at this rate I am not likely to get invited to many dinner parties!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome!

Don't resign yourself to diabetes. Keep on with the diet, keep testing, those current levels will come down again. A week's holiday won't do any permanent damage. Many of us Type 2's are seeing higher levels at the moment, which we are putting down to the hot and humid weather. It does have an effect. My own fastings and pre-meals have gone from the 5's to the 6's, so therefore my post meal readings have gone up. Red wine in moderation is the best drink to choose. Yes, it can be hard, but keep going and good luck!

Reactions: 4 people