Canned beans

WilliamEE

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Are canned beans such as Cannellini, Kidney Beans, Butters, etc OK for a low carb diet.

I have read some conflicting information around the internet.

Ditto fresh green peas.

gorillamark

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Try the information from this page:

List of Beans and Other Nutritious Legumes

Note the warning on the page:

Avoid: Beans canned with sugars or lard.​

As a general point if you use canned beans with sauce and that includes chili beans you'll probably get a fair bit of sugar this is particularly true of the cheaper brands. You can undo a lot of the damage by just rinsing all the sauce off leaving you with the plain beans.

If you have a meter test like mad as different beans will hit your BG with varying degrees of severity ranging from "oh good I can eat lots " to"avoid these ones like the plague".

Reactions: 2 people

gorillamark

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
And as a quick rule of thumb also noting WHERE in the list of ingredients danger words like "sugar" appear. Thus in a list of five ingredients sugar is the second in the list then you know there's a lot of sugar in that can compared to one where the word sugar is fifth in the list of five.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Are canned beans such as Cannellini, Kidney Beans, Butters, etc OK for a low carb diet.

I have read some conflicting information around the internet.

Ditto fresh green peas.
I assume you are asking about beans in water and not ones slathered in sugary tomato sauce.

I manage to eat such beans in moderation, but only know that through testing before and after eating them. This is what I would suggest. You might be lucky too :)

I haven't tried green peas yet.

WilliamEE

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thanks everyone for your feedback.

I am referring to beans in water only.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you want to eat green peas, why not get a bag of frozen garden peas (or even fresh ones in season), or a bag of dried marrowfat peas?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I went through a phase of mashing cannelini, borlotti or black eyed beans, with butter and/or cheese to replace mashed potato.

That stopped as soon as I got a BG meter, and I discovered that a half tin was sending me over 9.

Reactions: 4 people
A

Avocado Sevenfold

I went through a phase of mashing cannelini, borlotti or black eyed beans, with butter and/or cheese to replace mashed potato.

That stopped as soon as I got a BG meter, and I discovered that a half tin was sending me over 9.
Interesting. I am ok with whole chickpeas, but not humous. I think that mashing up food makes it spikier. Maybe because it hits our system quicker or because it is easier to overconsume when mushed up.

Reactions: 3 people

WilliamEE

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
If you want to eat green peas, why not get a bag of frozen garden peas (or even fresh ones in season), or a bag of dried marrowfat peas?

I only ever eat frozen peas. I read somewhere they are high in Carbs which seems odd as they are not a root vegtable.

I've read that peas should be eaton but other say they are OK.

Very confusing.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Peas are good for you for general health, plenty of goodness in them, which is probably why they are on the list of things to eat. However, people on here say they spike with them. Birds Eye frozen peas have 7.5g carbs per 100g. I do eat them but only a tablespoonful with a meal. Any more and I spike. As has been said, it is trial and error. We are all different so you must eat to your meter.