Very first self BG test today

gaz tred

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So took you guys advice and my codefree meter arrived today when I got home from work. So had dinner, couple of chicken breasts and some salad. Had salad for lunch also and breakfast was two poached eggs and a sausage. 2 hours after this evenings meal did my first bg test, 6.5 mol/l. Read in the codefree instruction book it says that a normal non diabetic, 2 hour post evening meal reading should be <7.7mmol/l. Does that mean my 6.5 mmol/l is good or bad??

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Well done, you're off!

Great set of meals for a diabetic, and a great BG result. For the future it's best to measure immediately before the meal as well so you can gauge the rise.

gaz tred

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So clutching at straws. Does that mean I might not be diabetic if 7.7 is normal for a non diabetic and I am 6.5? I only got diagnosed last Monday
I will post fasting results in the morning

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
You don't get out of it that easily I'm afraid. Figures like that indicate a controlled diabetic. But you have to maintain the same regime that got you to that state. Let go and your BGs will follow.

gaz tred

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You don't get out of it that easily I'm afraid. Figures like that indicate a controlled diabetic. But you have to maintain the same regime that got you to that state. Let go and your BGs will follow.

I guessed it's not that easy. I aim to continue dieting and exercising. I already play football twice a week but have been out running everyday since the weekend. I have done low carb diets on and off for years, crashed weight off them put it back on. I guess I now need to be strict with the low carb and not revert back to old ways. I once lost 4 stone on Atkins and more times than I care to remember have I drop 2 stone and put it on again.

Reactions: 3 people

gaz tred

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I guessed it's not that easy. I aim to continue dieting and exercising. I already play football twice a week but have been out running everyday since the weekend. I have done low carb diets on and off for years, crashed weight off them put it back on. I guess I now need to be strict with the low carb and not revert back to old ways. I once lost 4 stone on Atkins and more times than I care to remember have I drop 2 stone and put it on again.

Ok so here are the fasting results. 5.6. Still lower than the 4.1 to 5.8 for a non diabetic as per the codefree manual. Higher than I would have liked but going in the right direction

gaz tred

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You guys are going to get bored with me posting these results.

Had a breakfast of 2 sausage, 2 poached eggs and some mushrooms at 9am. 11 am reading of 5.6

Reactions: 7 people

JohnD54

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rice
Gaz, welcome to the mad house, leave accepted wisdom at the door & learn from these incredibly supportive people on this forum.

Good luck

gaz tred

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
End of the first week, fasting has been either 5.4, 5.5 or 5.6. Lowest of the week 4.6. Highest 2 hour post meal was 6.3 lowest 4.9. Highest post exercise 5.5.

Let's see how week 2 goes?

Reactions: 6 people

Marieukxx

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I was told a week ago as well that I am type 2. Been posting my BG results and questioning just like you if I am diabetic. I have gone really really low carb like you. I'll have a diet yougurt and a bit of fruit for breakfast. Lunch is one slice f wholemeal bread toasted with one slice of ham and one poached egg. Dinner is usually chicken and salad or veggies.

I slipped on Saturday and had a Chinese with the family. Only ate half of mine but 2 hours after my BG was 8.5! I had been in the normal range all week prior to this.

I would guess like me your low results is because you are eating right and cutting back on the carbs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 6 people

Alan S

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Snake oil salespeople and other slime who try to profit from our condition.
So clutching at straws. Does that mean I might not be diabetic if 7.7 is normal for a non diabetic and I am 6.5? I only got diagnosed last Monday
I will post fasting results in the morning
Ask us again after you have tried this technique using one hour after your last bite, not two, as your testing time: Test, Review, Adjust

Nyxks

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Discrimination based on gender, age, medical conditions, etc.
I wish hun, but no once diabetic always diabetic (at least currently no cure out there as yet) .. I'll often be 5 or lower after a meal (yesterday before meal was at 8 two hours after meal was at 4.3)

gaz tred

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Alan S

Took you advise yesterday and tested one hour after eating 6.5 and at 2 hrs 4.9
I will continue to test like this and post some results

Marieukxx

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
@Alan S

Took you advise yesterday and tested one hour after eating 6.5 and at 2 hrs 4.9
I will continue to test like this and post some results
That's what I started to do yesterday as well. My results are in the type 2 forum if you fancy having a look and seeing what people have replied

sjhume

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Im type 2 and have no trouble with my morning reading which is normally around 4 - 5. lunchtime it could be around 5 -6 but evenings after dinner sometimes its in the 20@s. I feel fine but realise it cant be doing me much good.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Im type 2 and have no trouble with my morning reading which is normally around 4 - 5. lunchtime it could be around 5 -6 but evenings after dinner sometimes its in the 20@s. I feel fine but realise it cant be doing me much good.

What are you eating for dinner?

sjhume

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Normally grilled chicken or fish with jacket potato and loads of green beans, asparagus or other green vegetables. I also have a couple of glasses of red an evening

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My bet is it's the jacket potato. Along with mash, this is the worst type of spud for diabetics. Try doing without and see what happens.

Reactions: 4 people

sjhume

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
My bet is it's the jacket potato. Along with mash, this is the worst type of spud for diabetics. Try doing without and see what happens.
Thanks for that, i'll try a smaller one from now on and see if that makes a difference. If not i guess i'll be cutting them out altogether.

Reactions: 5 people