'Newcastle diet' advice

paulins

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Feeling I can never eat anything sweet again or anything with carbs. But thought of diabetes complications scares me more so it is a no brainer!
Thank you @Pipp. I'll let you know.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi all, back again.

I've been using the Slim and Save shakes / bars / meals. I wanted to give them the thumbs up as a good system for very low carb diet. They are very tasty, do not taste at all artifical (well the meals taste like good camping meals but not fake). The price is very good and the customer service and delivery logistics is amazing. Only downside is you have to go online to get carb and protein info for the bars (shakes and meals have it printed on the packet).

I'm feeling fine on 3-4 packs a day, no cravings. So they are highly recommended for anyone doing Newcastle Diet. I'm T1 so I'm not doing Newcastle Diet as such, just using them for VLCD.

Reactions: 2 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all, back again.

I've been using the Slim and Save shakes / bars / meals. I wanted to give them the thumbs up as a good system for very low carb diet. They are very tasty, do not taste at all artifical (well the meals taste like good camping meals but not fake). The price is very good and the customer service and delivery logistics is amazing. Only downside is you have to go online to get carb and protein info for the bars (shakes and meals have it printed on the packet).

I'm feeling fine on 3-4 packs a day, no cravings. So they are highly recommended for anyone doing Newcastle Diet. I'm T1 so I'm not doing Newcastle Diet as such, just using them for VLCD.
Thank you for that vote of confidence (I think), @Spiker .
I get that you are not doing Newcastle diet to reverse diabetes, but it sounds like it is similar methodology.
Do you mind keeping us updated on progress. How much weight do you want to lose? How much have you lost? How long have you been doing VLCD? What are Slim and Save? Are they only available online?

Am I being too nosy?

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Oh no not too nosy. :)

My goal is 165 lbs and my start weight was 185 on the 17th. Down to 181 this morning which is fine.

Slim and Save I think are only online.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh no not too nosy. :)

My goal is 165 lbs and my start weight was 185 on the 17th. Down to 181 this morning which is fine.

Slim and Save I think are only online.
Thank you @Spiker . Good luck with that. I am about to restart VLCD/Newcastle diet. Will have a look at Slim and Save. I do find that although I prefer to eat fresh food and avoid processed foods when the weather is this hot VLCD is an easier option than preparing meals.

paulins

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Feeling I can never eat anything sweet again or anything with carbs. But thought of diabetes complications scares me more so it is a no brainer!
So, to update ... as of today I have lost 6 stones (84 lbs, 38 kg)! Only 1 lb to go before I am in the HEALTHY range. I'm feeling so positive about this weight loss regime and will continue until I reach 10 stones.

Re surgery - mixed news. Tumours in breast removed completely and they got excellent clear margins. However, as they were small and stage 1 it was not expected that the nodes would be implicated, but they found cancer cells in some, so I have to have more surgery on 4th August to have all the nodes removed as a precaution. I was also sent today for a scan of my liver, chest X-rays to check my lungs, and bone scans and a CT scan. Long day! Anyway, I was told my liver was fine and clear, and that the bone and CT scans showed only normal wear and tear for someone my age (this was by the chief radiologist, but she sees a lot of scans)! Haven't heard any result for the x-rays - I get them on Tuesday. So, depending what they find in the nodes removed during the surgery on 4th the treatment might change from radiotherapy only to chemo and radiotherapy. I'll let you know. They are very positive and told me to see this as a small setback and that they expect to rid me of cancer completely and let me get back to normal.

However - all they kept saying was how much stronger I would be fighting this as I was so much lighter! That I was much safer with the general anaesthetic. And that sugar feeds cancer! Ha ha! I have had little sugar in my blood since January so it is not being fed! Doc did another HbA1c (as potassium reading low so she ordered all tests again) and it was 4.8. And that being so overweight can make us really vulnerable. So, we are improving our health overall and we will do better if we need other medical treatments.

None of this will detract me from our goal though - to reverse the diabetes! I plan to eat well, have been reading about cancer and nutrition for diabetics, and will keep up with the treadmill (doing 5k every day now, so hopefully will be building up my fitness for my next surgery).

And finally ... Pipp, I can now fit into my size 12 jeans!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (OK, I have to hold my breath in, and wouldn't wear them outside yet, but I can get the zip up!)

Hope you are all well. Stay positive and focused.

P x

Reactions: 6 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So, to update ... as of today I have lost 6 stones (84 lbs, 38 kg)! Only 1 lb to go before I am in the HEALTHY range. I'm feeling so positive about this weight loss regime and will continue until I reach 10 stones.

Re surgery - mixed news. Tumours in breast removed completely and they got excellent clear margins. However, as they were small and stage 1 it was not expected that the nodes would be implicated, but they found cancer cells in some, so I have to have more surgery on 4th August to have all the nodes removed as a precaution. I was also sent today for a scan of my liver, chest X-rays to check my lungs, and bone scans and a CT scan. Long day! Anyway, I was told my liver was fine and clear, and that the bone and CT scans showed only normal wear and tear for someone my age (this was by the chief radiologist, but she sees a lot of scans)! Haven't heard any result for the x-rays - I get them on Tuesday. So, depending what they find in the nodes removed during the surgery on 4th the treatment might change from radiotherapy only to chemo and radiotherapy. I'll let you know. They are very positive and told me to see this as a small setback and that they expect to rid me of cancer completely and let me get back to normal.

However - all they kept saying was how much stronger I would be fighting this as I was so much lighter! That I was much safer with the general anaesthetic. And that sugar feeds cancer! Ha ha! I have had little sugar in my blood since January so it is not being fed! Doc did another HbA1c (as potassium reading low so she ordered all tests again) and it was 4.8. And that being so overweight can make us really vulnerable. So, we are improving our health overall and we will do better if we need other medical treatments.

None of this will detract me from our goal though - to reverse the diabetes! I plan to eat well, have been reading about cancer and nutrition for diabetics, and will keep up with the treadmill (doing 5k every day now, so hopefully will be building up my fitness for my next surgery).

And finally ... Pipp, I can now fit into my size 12 jeans!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (OK, I have to hold my breath in, and wouldn't wear them outside yet, but I can get the zip up!)

Hope you are all well. Stay positive and focused.

P x
Thank you for posting this @paulins .
I had been wondering how you got on. Sorry that you need more surgery, what a bind. Good that the liver and bones are not affected. You must have mixed feelings about it all, and I am sorry you are going through all of this.
Wow! The jeans. Fantastic, as is the weight loss.
By comparison, I am having a very easy time. After my blip of four weeks duration, I am back with Newcastle style eating since yesterday. I will not be influenced any more by people telling me other methods are better. Nor will I fall for the (I hope innocent) suggestions of foods to try to spike my b g levels.
Time to get serious and focus.
I am so grateful to you @paulins, for continuing to report progress and for your encouragement, but I do understand if you chose not to and prefer privacy.

That treadmill workout is amazing
Be well
Pipp

paulins

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Pipp - I don't mind posting here. While it is public it is also strangely private, and I really value the support. I'll keep posting and let you know how things go with the weight loss the diabetes and with the rest. Will be interesting to see if the different treatments affect my BS levels!

Keep going with the Newcastle diet! Best of luck.

P x

Reactions: 4 people

paulins

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I am now into NORMAL WEIGHT!!!!!!!! First time in years and years. 1 st 6 lbs to go to target weight. OK, at the very top of the range, but feeling so good about this.

Keep going folks - it is definitely worth it! Fasting BS today 4.4.

P xx

Reactions: 9 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am now into NORMAL WEIGHT!!!!!!!! First time in years and years. 1 st 6 lbs to go to target weight. OK, at the very top of the range, but feeling so good about this.

Keep going folks - it is definitely worth it! Fasting BS today 4.4.

P xx
Excellent!!
Very well done. On all counts. Those size 12 jeans will soon be too big for you.

paulins

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Ha ha Pipp - thank you! I have come into work today - the last day of my supposed 'holiday' and loads of folks tell me I look so great and so healthy. There is an irony in there somewhere!
Thought I'd let you know i joined a Breast Cancer forum (which is just as helpful as this one, though scarier!), and one of the women who is also being treated just now is a Diabetes Nurse and has been for many years. I am learning a lot about diabetes from her and will share anything that might be useful to you - both for men and women.
Take care.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ha ha Pipp - thank you! I have come into work today - the last day of my supposed 'holiday' and loads of folks tell me I look so great and so healthy. There is an irony in there somewhere!
Thought I'd let you know i joined a Breast Cancer forum (which is just as helpful as this one, though scarier!), and one of the women who is also being treated just now is a Diabetes Nurse and has been for many years. I am learning a lot about diabetes from her and will share anything that might be useful to you - both for men and women.
Take care.
The breast cancer forum will also be an opportunity for you to educate more people about diabetes.
Be well

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I just worked out that I need to lose another 20 lbs before I hit the normal range. I don't think I actually have that amount that I can lose! However, well done Paulins

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The breast cancer forum will also be an opportunity for you to educate more people about diabetes.
Be well

Hope everything is going well for you. Thanks for thinking of us when I am sure you have much more on your mind. I do think that for all its downsides, the internet is a wonderful source of support at times of crisis, be that cancer or diabetes diagnosis. It certainly fills the gaps that exist in the NHS.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I just worked out that I need to lose another 20 lbs before I hit the normal range. I don't think I actually have that amount that I can lose! However, well done Paulins
Great going. And something to aspire to.

paulins

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Andrew, I have been told to get to the middle of my healthy weight range then try hard to stop and stabilise my weight - and that I'll inevitably put a few pounds on when I begin to eat more normally so even with that I'll still be in the range. My range is 8 st 6 lbs - 11 st 6 lbs, so the middle is 9st 13lbs! This means another 21 lbs and like you I'm not sure exactly where it will all come from. My stomach hopefully! Apparently that's the dangerous fat, and it is also the hardest to shift with diet and exercise. Any tips on how to get rid of the fat from there gratefully received!

On another note, when I had a liver scan I was DESPERATE to ask the radiologist if he could see any fat in my liver! And if he could just have a little look at my pancreas while he was at it. It would be great if we could know if the fat in the liver and the pancreas is going because this means we have much more chance of reversing!

Reactions: 4 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Andrew, I have been told to get to the middle of my healthy weight range then try hard to stop and stabilise my weight - and that I'll inevitably put a few pounds on when I begin to eat more normally so even with that I'll still be in the range. My range is 8 st 6 lbs - 11 st 6 lbs, so the middle is 9st 13lbs! This means another 21 lbs and like you I'm not sure exactly where it will all come from. My stomach hopefully! Apparently that's the dangerous fat, and it is also the hardest to shift with diet and exercise. Any tips on how to get rid of the fat from there gratefully received!

On another note, when I had a liver scan I was DESPERATE to ask the radiologist if he could see any fat in my liver! And if he could just have a little look at my pancreas while he was at it. It would be great if we could know if the fat in the liver and the pancreas is going because this means we have much more chance of reversing!
I would have asked@paulins. I did ask the surgeon who operated on my abdomen early this year if he thought my liver looked healthy. His reply was that for someone as large as me, with much fat round my middle, there was surprisingly little fat round my internal organs. Perhaps that is why my blood glucose levels have remained so good despite still having a lot of weight to lose.

paulins

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I wish I had! But I might ask yet as they must have a report. I am interested to know.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Crimsonclient

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Had my 6 month review on Thursday and my hba1c was At an amazing low compared to all other times but I am carrying to much weight and I asked about the Newcastle diet and the answer I got was what's that one I have never heard of that diet. And she doesn't believe in these so called fad diets. And if you eat a balanced diet you will lose weight.

Type 2 diagnosed 24/01/2013.
NovoRapid, Lantus, Victoza, Metformin (sr), Simvistatin