LCHF diet and cholesterol

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who interrupt you when you're talking and people who won't listen.
I'm still waiting for my blood results but have been advised to eat a lower carb diet for now (that's it, that's all the advice I have so far). I'm intrigued by the LCHF diet as I have a lot of weight to lose, but I'm wondering what your experiences are with your cholesterol levels. I don't know what my cholesterol is yet., but it wouldn't surprise me if it was high and I don't want it to shoot up or anything.

Couldn't see a post on this, but still trying to get to grips with the site, so apologies if I'm asking boring questions :confused:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Nothing to apologise for. No question is daft or boring. We all have to ask them when we don't know the answer.

I can only speak from my own experience. I have been following a low carb diet with increased fats. I don't deliberately daub everything in fat, but I don't actively avoid it. My cholesterol hasn't been affected at all.

Reactions: 3 people

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I take the HF part of LCHF seriously and eat a lot of fat. So far my HDL has gone up from 1.9 to 2.2 and LDL down from 4.0 to 3.3, the lowest I ever had when tested. Total down from 6.9 to 6.3 and trigs at 0.7.

Reactions: 2 people

Fallgal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When I was first tested in April, my total cholesterol was 5.8. In early June, it went down to 4.1.

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
James' experience is that total cholesterol remained about the same (5.1 to 5.2), but the "good" stuff went from 1.9 to 2.6 and the "bad" stuff from 3.2 to 2.4, so he now has more "good" cholesterol than "bad". His triglyceride/HDL ratio is 0.19, when less than 2 is considered good. This is all on a low carb diet (probably under 50g per day), combined with moderate fat. We neither try to eat lots of fat, nor do we avoid it. Our fats include olive oil, butter, cheese, eggs, oily fish, nuts, occasional fat from meat.
Sally

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who interrupt you when you're talking and people who won't listen.
Thanks guys, it's reassuring to know that I'm not likely to just gain another set of problems LOL

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
4 months of LCHF, total cholesterol went down from 6.9 to 6.0 as per my sig below, HDL up, triglycerides way down. Exercise helps as well of course.