Low carb foods!!??

Moaney

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Carb counting is the best thing for you. Trust me when ur pregnant u'll dream about toast spaghetti hoops rolls pasta pizza. Carbs r all u want....maybe that was just me. I learnt to carb count and thru my pregnancy I have eaten anything I or baby wants. I'm 38 weeks pregnant with a healthy little bambino so far. Speak to the Diabetec Dr about Daphne, it's a life saver :D

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 4 people

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Bread/toast might be a bit too high in carbs. Finn crisp breads Rye Harvest Slims, on sale in Sainsbury's, are each only 3.7g carbs. They taste great and I use them occasionally for crunch with butter, cheese and/or a boiled egg. I aim at 6g carbs for breakfast and this crisp bread helps me keep there. :)

kirstfinley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dafne is definitely something I need to do...I really struggle to find low carb things unless I stand in the supermarket for hours on end looking at the back of every packet!!

Xxx

jade88

They should do I'm surprised they haven't already suggested it! Considering how long you have been diabetic and the course is well established now aswell!
It will give you so much more freedom and will make it so much easier when your pregnant and having cravings for naughty foods! xxx

JessP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Kirst,
I'm a type 1 on pump and currently 10 weeks pregnant and I follow a vey low carb diet. I made this change about 6 months ago to get my HbA1c down pre-conception - it was 7.8 in Dec 2013 and 6.7 in June and 6.0 a couple weeks ago.
I read Dr Bernstein's book....it looks daunting but is actually very easy reading and quite funny in parts! He advocates a very low carb diet and gives lots of useful tips. Making the change has not been easy, I'm a huge lover of bread and fruit but it was the only thing that I could get to work to get my control improved. Despite carb counting, DAFNE, blousing 30mins prior to meals I couldn't get rid of huge post-prandial spikes and then crashes but with very low carb diet it seems to have done the trick.
Main things I've cut out include: all obvious carbs (bread, pasta, potato etc), anything with sugar in, ALL fruit incl fruit juice (sad about this). SO what does this leave? Well breakfast is eggs +/- bacon/avocado etc. lunch: salad with something yummy like chicken/fish. dinner was already carb free in our house with meat/fish with veggies or salad.
One thing I've found a bit difficult to work out is that I still need to bolus for protein loads sometimes as that can still spike my BMs (not to same extent a carbs and always later).
Anyway, I hope this is helpful. If I can be of more help just let me know.
Good luck!
BW
Jess

kirstfinley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ah thank you jade, I was offered the course when I was young and I wasn't that interested but ova now I time will help massively!!!

Do you know if you have to have a certain amount of carbs a day is there a limt??

Xxx

kirstfinley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Kirst,
I'm a type 1 on pump and currently 10 weeks pregnant and I follow a vey low carb diet. I made this change about 6 months ago to get my HbA1c down pre-conception - it was 7.8 in Dec 2013 and 6.7 in June and 6.0 a couple weeks ago.
I read Dr Bernstein's book....it looks daunting but is actually very easy reading and quite funny in parts! He advocates a very low carb diet and gives lots of useful tips. Making the change has not been easy, I'm a huge lover of bread and fruit but it was the only thing that I could get to work to get my control improved. Despite carb counting, DAFNE, blousing 30mins prior to meals I couldn't get rid of huge post-prandial spikes and then crashes but with very low carb diet it seems to have done the trick.
Main things I've cut out include: all obvious carbs (bread, pasta, potato etc), anything with sugar in, ALL fruit incl fruit juice (sad about this). SO what does this leave? Well breakfast is eggs +/- bacon/avocado etc. lunch: salad with something yummy like chicken/fish. dinner was already carb free in our house with meat/fish with veggies or salad.
One thing I've found a bit difficult to work out is that I still need to bolus for protein loads sometimes as that can still spike my BMs (not to same extent a carbs and always later).
Anyway, I hope this is helpful. If I can be of more help just let me know.
Good luck!
BW
Jess

Hi Jess,

Thank you for you reply, are you on the pump purely for your pregnancy how are you finding it?? It's something I am considering at the moment but heard many different things...

Carbs are defiantly my down fall I find it hard finding lower carb foods!! I love bread and potatoes crisps etc loool

Think it was be worth me sticking to a strict diet for the next couple of weeks and seeing if that makes a difference I'm sure it will!! What other things can you have for breakfast low carb because I don't eat until I get into work about 9 and need something quick and easy?
Exciting stuff about your pregnancy congratulations!! Is this your first baby??

Xxxx

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've started having protein shakes for my breakfast, I love eggs but can't face them everyday, just finished a 7 day week at work n I found it loads easier not having to think about making breakfast xx

JessP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Kirst,
I've been on a pump for over 2.5 years now - it was really tough to begin with for a few months as it required a lot of intense input and hard work but since then has been brilliant. It's completely revolutionalised my life, allowing much more freedom with exercise etc.
Thanks for the congrats, yep first pregnancy so am a bag of nerves and can't wait to get into the 2nd trimester! Am so glad that I was able to make the changes pre-pregnancy to get my HbA1c down to 6.0 to give it the best chance possible. What I mean by that is, it will be tough but you're doing the right things asking for advice etc.
For breakfast other things you can try are protein shakes as suggested above, or there are some low-carb bran crackers you can get from Holland and Barrett (2g per slice) - they're pretty horrid when you first try them but put enough cheese etc on top and they suddenly become ok!
I find nuts are good for snacking as well...make sure you check which nuts are low carb though because some aren't like cashews.
Anyway, let me know if I can help in any other way.
Good luck!
Jess
x

jade88

Hi Kirst,
Personally as long as I work out how much carbs are in the food I'm eating there is no limit - I appreciate this might be different for others! Hardest thing is working out carbs when eating out or having a takeaway - I find using my fitness pal app on my phone helps! xxx