E-Petition to stop G.P. practice closures.

C

catherinecherub

Pulse launches e-petition to stop G.P. practice closures.

Pulse has today launched an e-petition for the Department of Health to step in and stop the threatening tide of GP practices closing amid funding swings.

The petition comes in the wake of warnings that over a hundred GP practices around the country are now at risk of having to close down due to destabilising of their funding streams.

Pulse investigations have so far uncovered at least 109 practices at risk, including around 30 in the capital alone.

While London is the worst-affected region so far, local GP leaders in Northamptonshire and Devon have also come forward warning they both have six practices under threat, while Doncaster, Leicestershire, Sunderland and Sussex LMCs have all reported practices are considering handing back contracts.

In Oxford, one GP practice closed earlier this month because it could not keep up with running costs, and another is due to close due to a lack of investment in premises.

The GPC has warned of a ‘perfect storm’ caused by the withdrawal of MPIG, PMS reviews and the GP recruitment crisis, ans several are facing closure because ofdelays in NHS England’s decision-making on urgent bids for premises development.

Since the start of the year, GPs around the country have taken matters in their own hands and organised marches to protect their practices. However their voices have gone unhead, with NHS England saying only last week that practices closing may not be a problem.
In launching the petition, Pulse editor Nigel Praities said: ‘This petition is for GPs, their patients and anyone who cares for the future of our health service. Without good GP services, there will be no NHS.

Click here to make your voice heard and help to stop GP practice closures

We all hear good and bad about our G.P.'s and affiliated staff but I wonder what the alternative would be? Is this a step towards privatisation?

Reactions: 7 people

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who interrupt you when you're talking and people who won't listen.
Mine closes next month...right in the middle of me having a whole bunch of tests and waiting to see a surgeon for something else. Not great timing and I'm really annoyed. Will sign...

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
You do wonder if 100 surgeries is just the start Catherine, worrying times ahead :(

C

catherinecherub

I make no apologies for bumping this post up as I think people should be aware of how our G.P.s are slowly disappearing.
The full article can be found here and one of the comments that I think is relevant is below.
http://www.pulsetoday.co.uk/home/fi...actice-closures/20007335.article#.U9ImGygx8lI

"The governments objective is to get rid of general practice and replace it with cheap to employ staff under a private company . Very similar in quality to the 111 service and I know how well that's worked".

We hear a lot of people condemning their G.Ps on this forum and I think we all agree that there are good, mediocre and bad Doctors. This is not confined to Doctors, there are the same responses about all professionals, lawyers, accountants, people employed by the public sector,people employed by the private sector. We all have an opinion about people we come across in our lives. but what alternative does the future hold for all of us with regard to being able to see a Dr? How will people react when their local surgery closes? Would people welcome private health care because they think it is better? Would people like to keep the status quo? Is this petition available because GPs are scaremongering?

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Pulse launches e-petition to stop G.P. practice closures.

Pulse has today launched an e-petition for the Department of Health to step in and stop the threatening tide of GP practices closing amid funding swings.

The petition comes in the wake of warnings that over a hundred GP practices around the country are now at risk of having to close down due to destabilising of their funding streams.

Pulse investigations have so far uncovered at least 109 practices at risk, including around 30 in the capital alone.

While London is the worst-affected region so far, local GP leaders in Northamptonshire and Devon have also come forward warning they both have six practices under threat, while Doncaster, Leicestershire, Sunderland and Sussex LMCs have all reported practices are considering handing back contracts.

In Oxford, one GP practice closed earlier this month because it could not keep up with running costs, and another is due to close due to a lack of investment in premises.

The GPC has warned of a ‘perfect storm’ caused by the withdrawal of MPIG, PMS reviews and the GP recruitment crisis, ans several are facing closure because ofdelays in NHS England’s decision-making on urgent bids for premises development.

Since the start of the year, GPs around the country have taken matters in their own hands and organised marches to protect their practices. However their voices have gone unhead, with NHS England saying only last week that practices closing may not be a problem.
In launching the petition, Pulse editor Nigel Praities said: ‘This petition is for GPs, their patients and anyone who cares for the future of our health service. Without good GP services, there will be no NHS.

Click here to make your voice heard and help to stop GP practice closures

We all hear good and bad about our G.P.'s and affiliated staff but I wonder what the alternative would be? Is this a step towards privatisation?
Without a doubt! I have signed! Disgraceful!