which is best bread or crispbread cholesterol level 5.5 how do i bring it down

Last edited by a moderator:

cath99

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
rude d/n nurses and being treated like im wierd because im diabetic
if i must be burgon bread for me but prefur to make my own now, never have touched crispbreads tho , sure someone be along to tell u details on that one x

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
lol lol I asked in Holland and Barrett if they stocked lowcarb bread today? the assistant looked at me as if I was mad. He began to say- no by it's very nature you can't possibly get...... I interrupted and said that yes it did exist.... lol. I thought they might be able to help:)

Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Neither, to be honest. Both are carbs. Carbs all turn to sugar once inside your system. There is a low carb bread called LivLife, sold only in Waitrose I believe. Burgen bread is relatively low carb.

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who interrupt you when you're talking and people who won't listen.
Sainsburys apparently do one called Hi-Lo...looks really tasty but hardly anywhere north of Birmingham sells it. Pftttft....

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I either have a piece of Burgen or very low GI tin from my local bakers with my evening meal.

jim1951

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Neither, to be honest. Both are carbs. Carbs all turn to sugar once inside your system. There is a low carb bread called LivLife, sold only in Waitrose I believe. Burgen bread is relatively low carb.

I can thoroughly recommend LivLife. Only 3.8 carbs per slice and 68 cals, it is not bad either.

jim

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
I have less than one slice a week now. It was one of the things I missed most but not any more.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Another vote for Burgen Bread but Rye bread is good if you like the taste, as ever it all depends on your bg results postprandial.

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ive just read all about the Sainsburys high lo bread only to find that there are only 4 stores in te whole of the nrth of England where it is stocked. So I sent them an email! Rye bread? where woukd I buy that?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ive just read all about the Sainsburys high lo bread only to find that there are only 4 stores in te whole of the nrth of England where it is stocked. So I sent them an email! Rye bread? where woukd I buy that?

Please let us know what they say.

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I'm in Yorkshire Bluetit...no chance of getting it where I am...unless I want to drive 1.5 hours to Harrogate or something stupid :(

I come from Lancashire by the way...

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I will let you know. Providing, of course, that I get a reply. :)

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
We have found Nairn's oat biscuits quite useful and buy them in a smallish branch of Tesco, though have seen them elsewhere. They are good because, although they come in boxes, within the boxes they are sealed in packs of five. This means you can have one, or maybe two with a meal, without waste. Having said that, we barely touch them now, having weaned ourselves off a desire for carbs to go with meals - but they were very useful at one stage and we still take some out with us on our travels, just in case food choices are limited.
Our other useful bread is pumpernickel - buy in brick sized packs, also in Tesco and elsewhere. Not shelved with the bread or biscuits, but close to pulses and other "hippy" food. Lasts well in the fridge, so big advantage is that you can eat small amounts without waste.
Sally

Reactions: 3 people

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
We have found Nairn's oat biscuits quite useful and buy them in a smallish branch of Tesco, though have seen them elsewhere. They are good because, although they come in boxes, within the boxes they are sealed in packs of five. This means you can have one, or maybe two with a meal, without waste. Having said that, we barely touch them now, having weaned ourselves off a desire for carbs to go with meals - but they were very useful at one stage and we still take some out with us on our travels, just in case food choices are limited.
Our other useful bread is pumpernickel - buy in brick sized packs, also in Tesco and elsewhere. Not shelved with the bread or biscuits, but close to pulses and other "hippy" food. Lasts well in the fridge, so big advantage is that you can eat small amounts without waste.
Sally
Try the cheese ones . they are lower carb.

Reactions: 5 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Loobles I had this reply from the makers of Hi-Lo bread.

Thank you for your enquiry re Hi-Lo, I am sorry that you live some distance away form the nearest Sainsbury's. We do not control the distribution, we would love to supply your local Sainsbury's. Can I suggest that you speak to Sainsburys customer service team in Clitheroe and ask them to order it in for you. They will only need to order a case of 4. You could freeze them if you wanted to buy 4 at a time. You may need to advise them that the outer case code is (01)0 5024285 012997 (15) 140705and the product code is: 5024285012997Regards.Sue Ville

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@Loobles I had this reply from the makers of Hi-Lo bread.

Thank you for your enquiry re Hi-Lo, I am sorry that you live some distance away form the nearest Sainsbury's. We do not control the distribution, we would love to supply your local Sainsbury's. Can I suggest that you speak to Sainsburys customer service team in Clitheroe and ask them to order it in for you. They will only need to order a case of 4. You could freeze them if you wanted to buy 4 at a time. You may need to advise them that the outer case code is (01)0 5024285 012997 (15) 140705and the product code is: 5024285012997Regards.Sue Ville
Will do that this weekend...thanks for the reply x