Finding it hard to cope Type 2

princessleia29

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all

I was diagnosed about a month ago with type 2 and I am currently managing through diet and exercise alone and I am still really shocked scared and confused. I am successfully losing weight (I was about 3 stone overweight) and I have lost a stone already through diet and exercise but I really want to get rid of this. I know people who have and I want to do the same but I'm so worried. I also want to do the Newcastle diet to reverse this but I was advised just to lose weight normally at first I feel as if I am wasting time and I could be sorting this out. I am also confused by carbs most things say balanced diet but I've read so much about them...everything I have is wholemeal or appropriate but I worry if I have toast for breakfast. I feel as if I am just muddling around in the dark I bought a GI diet book to help myself but I feel really unsure if what I am doing is ok. I've got a bit obsessed with testing and this whole thing is making me anxious and depressed.

Reactions: 4 people

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
You will have to make some difficult choices. I and many other here eat very low carbohydrate diets.
It is good that you are testing. Test before a meal and two hours later at least. If you get a high result reduce or eliminate the carbs from that meal. It will get much better. I assumed I was going to die when diagnosed 5 months ago.
I now have no issues with diabetes.

Reactions: 6 people

princessleia29

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi so when you say you have no issues with diabetes is it officially in remission or just under control? Are you able to eat more carbs now or do you still have to be careful? Thanks so much for replying :)

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. There is no such thing as a 'balanced' or 'healthy' diet as promoted by the NHS and without any definition. If you want to reduce weight and blood sugar you need to control the carbs and, yes, have low-GI ones for preference. Use the meter to guide you on how much to limit the carbs. You can have extra proteins and fats if needed to satisfy hunger or calorie needs

Reactions: 5 people

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
the doctors say I'm cured. It is only controlled by diet though. I eat low carb and enough fat to make up the difference. Daibell has it spot on.

Reactions: 4 people

princessleia29

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I am doing propoints with weight watchers which is working really well as it's based around filling food and protein so that does help. What should I look for in terms of how much sugar is in something? Is there a limit I should look for?

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
I do not believe I am cured. But I have got my Blood glucose down to levels that are considered non diabetic by eating low amounts of carbohydrate and enough fat to give me enough calories. Many here have done better by using similar methods.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 6 people

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
Hi I am doing propoints with weight watchers which is working really well as it's based around filling food and protein so that does help. What should I look for in terms of how much sugar is in something? Is there a limit I should look for?
That is a weight loss thing. Nothing to do with diabetes. Sugar has little to do with it. All carbohydrates turn into glucose when you eat them.

Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The others are right. The only way to control diabetes is to seriously reduce your total carbs, especially bread, potatoes, rice, pasta, pastry and batter. Weight Watchers will not help unless you adapt their diet suggestions to reduce those carbs and increase you real fats just enough to compensate for the loss of energy from the carb reduction. When you look at food nutrition labels look for "total carbohydrate" and ignore the "of which sugars".

Do you have a home meter, and if so, what are your levels?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Panic not, we all get the odd surprise like that! The important thing is to learn from it and decide what to do about the meal you ate. What did you eat/drink?

Your other levels are OK but you can get them down quite a bit if you reduce the carbs some more.

princessleia29

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I have things like chicken and salad... Spaghetti bolognaise with low fat mince whole wheat spaghetti...turkey steaks with new potatoes...plain fish...tonight I tried some vegetarian food which was lovely but I think I had too much.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

princessleia29

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Basically I have switched everything I already had wholemeal bread and spaghetti and lots of fruit but now I feel a bit lost. I've stopped eating any rubbish and I watch the sugar levels in things I have I am finding it confusing though

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
Basically I have switched everything I already had wholemeal bread and spaghetti and lots of fruit but now I feel a bit lost. I've stopped eating any rubbish and I watch the sugar levels in things I have I am finding it confusing though

Bread and spaghetti, wholemeal or otherwise are very high in carbohydrates. I don't eat them much anymore.

Reactions: 2 people