Type 2's: What was your fasting blood glucose in a morning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
I'm sure stress, heat and fitful sleep are major influences. What surprised me today was the impact of not eating protein at dinner. I can do this at the moment because I'm away from home, and I didn't fancy much else yesterday, but dinner normally includes beef/chicken because Mrs Sanguine doesn't get to eat much at work during the day. And it's often later than I would prefer (8:00) but unless we eat separately there's not much I can do about that.

Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm sure stress, heat and fitful sleep are major influences. What surprised me today was the impact of not eating protein at dinner. I can do this at the moment because I'm away from home, and I didn't fancy much else yesterday, but dinner normally includes beef/chicken because Mrs Sanguine doesn't get to eat much at work during the day. And it's often later than I would prefer (8:00) but unless we eat separately there's not much I can do about that.

Not sure about the protein bit. I always have meat or fish protein at evening meal, usually between 7 and 7-30pm and we repeat meals quite a lot. My recent increases I doubt are anything to do with that, and my pre-prandials have crept up, too. I don't have fitful sleeps but I am feeling drained by this weather.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
6.3 on going to bed. :banghead:
5.9 on getting up. :banghead:

This is really spoiling my averages! I'm not doing anything differently and have lost another 2lbs. I am confused.:confused:
Blue - When you reached your goal, what was your strategy to go to a maintenance level? I may have just about stabilised again, after a period of successful maintenance, then a drop. The drop was part, I'm sure, due to a few days of dodgy tummy and no real appetite, followed by about a week of little enthusiasm for eating. But, it's interesting to hear how others take that step, without going yo-yo. Yo-yo is my nightmare scenario.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
4.1 for me again this morning. That's back to my apparent go-to number. I'm content with that.

Reactions: 4 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Blue - When you reached your goal, what was your strategy to go to a maintenance level? I may have just about stabilised again, after a period of successful maintenance, then a drop. The drop was part, I'm sure, due to a few days of dodgy tummy and no real appetite, followed by about a week of little enthusiasm for eating. But, it's interesting to hear how others take that step, without going yo-yo. Yo-yo is my nightmare scenario.

I only reached my goal a couple of weeks ago. My strategy was to increase my non-carb calories by about 300 a day. I am finding this very hard, which is why I have lost another 2lbs. I daren't increase the carbs because my BS isn't low enough yet. I started eating cheese (for the first time in my life) but that clearly isn't enough on its own. Maybe I need to increase my red wine allowance! My concern is that now I have no more weight to lose will my BS continue downwards or will I stall. Any suggestions welcome!

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I only reached my goal a couple of weeks ago. My strategy was to increase my non-carb calories by about 300 a day. I am finding this very hard, which is why I have lost another 2lbs. I daren't increase the carbs because my BS isn't low enough yet. I started eating cheese (for the first time in my life) but that clearly isn't enough on its own. Maybe I need to increase my red wine allowance! My concern is that now I have no more weight to lose will my BS continue downwards or will I stall. Any suggestions welcome!

I completely empathise with your plight.

Do you like peanuts? I started on a small portion of those, immediately following my lunch; just a shot glass full, so a really modest portion, because much as I like them, I could give them up in a heartbeat, if i needed to.

When I'm back in the UK, I'll be looking to expand some of my lunchtime options a bit wider to accommodate what life will throw at me back there, so that'll be the next adventure. I am, however, looking forward to trying some of the great stuff folks have posted on here, which weren't floating my OH's metaphoric boat. He has always been very keen on eating un modified/natural foods, so no sweeteners, few substitutes, so things like the crustless quiche haven't had an airing yet. There's always a silver lining.

Bev18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
9.8 this morning, but woke up sweating like mad at 5.30, then burnt my bacon for breakfast then tested blood, so maybe that's why it was high.

But not felt well all day, dodgy tummy with trapped slow moving pain, then was a bit sick and just feel weak today. Had salad for lunch and some peanuts.

think i'll finish early at 3.30 was in work at 7.30.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I completely empathise with your plight.

Do you like peanuts? I started on a small portion of those, immediately following my lunch; just a shot glass full, so a really modest portion, because much as I like them, I could give them up in a heartbeat, if i needed to.

When I'm back in the UK, I'll be looking to expand some of my lunchtime options a bit wider to accommodate what life will throw at me back there, so that'll be the next adventure. I am, however, looking forward to trying some of the great stuff folks have posted on here, which weren't floating my OH's metaphoric boat. He has always been very keen on eating un modified/natural foods, so no sweeteners, few substitutes, so things like the crustless quiche haven't had an airing yet. There's always a silver lining.

I don't like any sort of nut. I'm not allergic but the taste makes me feel instantly sick. I have tried them. I also understand your plight as regards your OH's likes and dislikes. We are like you. Our meal times are sacrosanct. We sit at the table together and it is a daily special occasion and a huge part of our family life. Also, he is the main meal cook in our house. Although he does make me something different if needs be I feel I am imposing a little because it does stress him. He refuses to go low anything. Please don't suggest we swap roles. I don't do cooking!

I may try some extra cheese immediately after a meal as I don't eat desserts. (never have on the whole).

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
6.1 after putting off getting up to wash hands. At least it is improving on the weekend's highs.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
9.8 this morning, but woke up sweating like mad at 5.30, then burnt my bacon for breakfast then tested blood, so maybe that's why it was high.

But not felt well all day, dodgy tummy with trapped slow moving pain, then was a bit sick and just feel weak today. Had salad for lunch and some peanuts.

think i'll finish early at 3.30 was in work at 7.30.

Oh poor you. You aren't having a good day. Tomorrow is another day.

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Could you have a starter with your evening meal to bump up the calories but not carbs? Obviously in the winter this could be a bowl of soup or some garlic mushrooms in cream but now you could have something like a celeriac remoulade , some feta and olives, avocado vinagrette, cold or warm dressed roasted Mediterranean veg, slices of Parma ham and salami with a few cubes of watermelon if it doesn't spike you. Might be better than just eating cheese for sake of it?

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't like any sort of nut. I'm not allergic but the taste makes me feel instantly sick. I have tried them. I also understand your plight as regards your OH's likes and dislikes. We are like you. Our meal times are sacrosanct. We sit at the table together and it is a daily special occasion and a huge part of our family life. Also, he is the main meal cook in our house. Although he does make me something different if needs be I feel I am imposing a little because it does stress him. He refuses to go low anything. Please don't suggest we swap roles. I don't do cooking!

I may try some extra cheese immediately after a meal as I don't eat desserts. (never have on the whole).
Our domestic situations seem quite similar.

One of my OHs businesses was a restaurant, where the food was all cooked from scratch. Absolutely no pre-prepared stuff. He's very passionate about that. Although, to be clear he didn't cook in the restaurant, well, not unless he had an unplanned staff crisis! He loves to cook, and I'm quite happy to let him. I was always the baker (although I've never had a sweet tooth), but don't bake bread here. We never have routinely, baked fresh bread here, unless we have been sailing, and passage making. Then, there's nothing quite like a night watch, sitting in the pitch dark, eating bread and pate.

poshtotty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How much stress are you under as a result of the heat? Did it mess up your sleep?

As to the results - I did my own version of Newcastle Diet. Coupled with exercise. With the results I mentioned. Still a long way to go but at least I'm no longer on a spiral down. (And before you ask the diet I went on to lost weight drastically was the exante one.) I did a lot of research and I do mean a lot. And worked out that putting myself through what to be blunt was hell for a few weeks would probably pay off big time. And they did. I'm about to do it again. But sudden drastic weight loss and exercise really does seem to do the trick. The people in the Diabetes clinic here are very pleased with the improvement and I can't tell you how much better I feel.

I'm not too bothered by the heat. I have a very cool, dark home and all the bedrooms are naturally cool. I sleep with the windows closed and have a good 8 hours sleep each night waking once only for the bathroom. But I have been living through a very stressful personal situation for the past 2 years which is ongoing, I suspect there is a connection, although it doesn't prevent me (since going lchf) functionally fully

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Could you have a starter with your evening meal to bump up the calories but not carbs? Obviously in the winter this could be a bowl of soup or some garlic mushrooms in cream but now you could have something like a celeriac remoulade , some feta and olives, avocado vinagrette, cold or warm dressed roasted Mediterranean veg, slices of Parma ham and salami with a few cubes of watermelon if it doesn't spike you. Might be better than just eating cheese for sake of it?

Thanks Ethyl, I will try a starter. Good idea.

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Ethyl, I will try a starter. Good idea.

Just seems more enjoyable way of adding calories than some cheese you aren't that fussed by. Once I shift my weight, it's what I will be doing as I don't have a sweet tooth so pudding substitutes don't really appeal.

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sour cream and double cream - add it to everything. Heaven :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Diagnosed prediabetic Easter 2014. Just left to get on with it, no guidance or help from GP. Every day I'm learning something new.

Adelle0607

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Got a result of 3.7. Ate a handful of strawberries. Consistent with 4s in the am, this is the lowest. I may need to add more of my carb intake. Better have an appointment with my endo!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Sour cream and double cream - add it to everything. Heaven :)

Diagnosed prediabetic Easter 2014. Just left to get on with it, no guidance or help from GP. Every day I'm learning something new.

Thanks ... but no thanks! All I can say is Yuk! A small amount of double cream would be my limit. I prefer my daily full fat Greek yogurt for breakfast with strawberries and I only have fruit once a day at the moment, although I love it..

Adelle0607

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not sure about the protein bit. I always have meat or fish protein at evening meal, usually between 7 and 7-30pm and we repeat meals quite a lot. My recent increases I doubt are anything to do with that, and my pre-prandials have crept up, too. I don't have fitful sleeps but I am feeling drained by this weather.
Hi @Bluetit1802, on your previous post you said you had trouble sleeping because of the weather, maybe this article will help:

Clip from the article "How sleep can improve blood sugarResearch shows that sleep plays a critical role in fighting diabetes. Here’s how to get the rest you need so you can keep your blood sugar in check."

http://m.prevention.com/health/diabetes/how-sleep-can-improve-your-blood-sugar

According to the article, "three nights of disturbed sleep can lead to a 23% increase in blood sugar levels, according to study conducted at the University of Chicago Medical Center".

Last edited by a moderator:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Bluetit1802, on your previous post you said you had trouble sleeping because of the weather, maybe this article will help:

Clip from the article "How sleep can improve blood sugarResearch shows that sleep plays a critical role in fighting diabetes. Here’s how to get the rest you need so you can keep your blood sugar in check."

http://m.prevention.com/health/diabetes/how-sleep-can-improve-your-blood-sugar

According to the article, "three nights of disturbed sleep can lead to a 23% increase in blood sugar levels, according to study conducted at the University of Chicago Medical Center".

Thanks, but it wasn't me! I could sleep on a washing line. 8 to 9 hours every night. If it was me, it was a typo.

Status
Not open for further replies.