Three month check

S

Sharon Anne

Hey guys some of you I hope will remember me . I was diagnosed type 2 nearly three months ago now. . Well in that time whilst dealing. With other health issues ( I am awaiting results from an MRI scan . I lost my sense of taste just before diagnosis and eating as been a bit of a nightmare .
right PLEASE help me as I thought I was doing okay until tonight here is my story.
ON diagnosis I was found to be diabeteic when the hospital did a random test and it came back at 16 I had the blood text hbc1 and was told my level is 73 now the nurse did put me on medication but after we talked and I was found to have lost a stone in waight just before diagnosis I have lost more overall , she said she would allow me to try for three months on diet !!!
Okay this I have been doing I am not eating much with my taste issue but that said my BG on fasting now is around 5 .8or the 6.2 mark two hrs after a meal it seems to be around the 6.8or 7.4 mark I have not been testing so much as my diet as not really changed.
Okay what is worrying me sick I read on a post tonight that if your above the 49 mark for your three month test you need tablets !!!!! The nurse seemed content to give me this time to bring mine downtown the 53 mark with diet alone . Now I am worried that I should have been on treatment and I have been thinking that what I have been doing would be enough. I have worked so hard at this now I am scared , I have been having therapy for Anxiety caused by multiple deaths in my family over the past few years and I was until now doing really well.
So please please will someone try and advice me I had everything crossed that when they take my bloods next week they would look a just a tad better .but now I am thinking but they won't as I should be on meds anyway ??????
I saw a neorologist before my scan who says that my lack of taste could be down to the fluctuating sugers and also it may be due to stress as he says stress can play a huge part in output senses, he complemented me on getting my numbers down and also losing waight .

he says I am suffering from high stress
So to clarify my hbc1 was 73
My BG seems to have come down average fasting around 6.2 two hrs after food about 6.7to7.4
I do like a glass of red wine with my meal or two if I am having a good time it helps me relax and it is my only treat.
I have been worried that I keep waking with dead arm and pins and needles but this is mainly at night when I have been laying in bed my husband thinks this is just normal as he gets it also but for someone who suffers health Anxiety this is all pretty scary .

Hope someone can make sense of this and get back to me feel like a sitting time bomb now !! If it was a must I should be on treatment why would the nurse and Dr let me try diet ???? The thread I read says with my reading I should be on treatment HELP ME GUYS

Reactions: 2 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
6.2 fasting before breakfast and 2hr after meals of under 8 sound good to me
http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14045524.php
There is still some insulin resistance by your morning reading but that may come down as you get to normal weight

You are going to be pleased with your next a1c

Have a read about lchf as a way of eating well but still lose weight and have good BG

Last edited by a moderator:

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
Sounds like you are doing great. I used to wake up with numb arms but not so bad now, it would be worth mentioning it to the doc though.
like jack says, going by your readings you may have a pleasant surprise.

S

Sharon Anne

Thank you so much x I really do hope so and is having a glass of wine okay xx i was so worried last night I keep checking my vision and everything xx

Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My first HbA1c was 53 and there was no mention of medication, and still hasn't been. The first line medication is Metformin. This doesn't do a great deal to lower BS levels and is mainly an appetite suppressant to help you lose weight. As your appetite is already low, the Metformin might not even help you at all. I can't comment on other meds. As your levels are currently good, I see no reason to worry at all.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wouldn't worry Sharon. I was wondering how you were doing just the other day.....

I think it's great your nurse gave you the opportunity to make some changes before adding medication to your already complicated medical situation. Actually, I personally think everyone should have a period, immediately after diagnosis, to get their heads around their new condition, and diet, before adding meds, but that's my personal view, and there would be exceptions to that rule, with dangerously high levels.

You can see from my signature that I had the same starting test score as you, and I have managed to wrestle things into shape without any meds. It can be done.

It sounds like you have made some really positive changes, so even if you haven't got all the way to your target in one step, I bet your nurse will be very pleased with you. This is a life-long game, not a three month window of flurried activity, so it's best to be doing things you can continue with, rather than extremes, then crash and burn.

Let us know how you get on when you've seen the nurse.

P.s. - I sometimes wake with a numb arm. I usually find I have woken from a very deep sleep, where I probably haven't moved much. After a moment, it's all fine. Try not to be overly sensitive about some of these little things. Easier said than done, I know.

Reactions: 5 people

julifriend

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My stats are in my signature below, but neither my doctor nor my DSN has ever suggested medication. Maybe whoever posted that information has a very strict Dr or DSN who don't believe you can get low numbers without medication. You can though, if you're prepared to put the effort in and are strict enough about what you eat and how and when you exercise.

Reactions: 3 people
S

Sharon Anne

I wouldn't worry Sharon. I was wondering how you were doing just the other day.....

I think it's great your nurse gave you the opportunity to make some changes before adding medication to your already complicated medical situation. Actually, I personally think everyone should have a period, immediately after diagnosis, to get their heads around their new condition, and diet, before adding meds, but that's my personal view, and there would be exceptions to that rule, with dangerously high levels.

You can see from my signature that I had the same starting test score as you, and I have managed to wrestle things into shape without any meds. It can be done.

It sounds like you have made some really positive changes, so even if you haven't got all the way to your target in one step, I bet your nurse will be very pleased with you. This is a life-long game, not a three month window of flurried activity, so it's best to be doing things you can continue with, rather than extremes, then crash and burn.

Let us know how you get on when you've seen the nurse.

P.s. - I sometimes wake with a numb arm. I usually find I have woken from a very deep sleep, where I probably haven't moved much. After a moment, it's all fine. Try not to be overly sensitive about some of these little things. Easier said than done, I know.

S

Sharon Anne

Thank you so much Hun for thinking of me x I just feel like an hamster on a wheel I guess and I want to get off .
I still have no sense of taste and await the results if an MRI xxxx thank you so much for giving me some encouragement xxx

Nyxks

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Discrimination based on gender, age, medical conditions, etc.
Sounds like your doing just fine in general, but yes stress can add to your glucose numbers and the a1c they will do might show higher then the readings your seeing since its a over all average thought the day that your blood records.

My mom's been T2 for over 30 years and has only ever been diet controlled - so its 100% possible to be diet controlled and never ever need to go onto pills or insulin (though its not uncommon and more people should look at it before things develop further - if they can't get it under control with diet and working out alone). She's how normal A1C now of 4.5 which is non diabetic range and her average daily reading is 5.2.

Anie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think you will see a huge improvement in you next test. You are doing well. Hope the results from the MRI scan help sort out some of your problems. Let us know what your results are. If you need to be on medication then you will get advice. Metformin Is usually the first one. Stay calm