Finding it hard to cope Type 2

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with TITD above, and add potatoes to that list. New potatoes are slightly better than other sorts, but not by much. Pasta is just as bad. You also need to be careful with fruit, it has a lot of sugar in it. Berries are the best choice. Avoid tropical fruits like bananas, oranges etc. Personally, I can manage 2 small new spuds. If I have 3 or more I spike too high.

It is very confusing at first, but just remember that ALL carbs turn to sugar once in the system, wholemeal or white.

Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There are some low carb breads around. LivLife from Waitrose, or Burgen Bread. I buy Hovis 7 seeds wholemeal, but can only manage 1 slice with a meal, not two.

Reactions: 5 people

princessleia29

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I really am struggling to think what meals I can have and restricting fruit too? Sorry if I seem negative and I am listening to your advice but I feel really down about all the things I can't have and I have really made big changes to my diet and lost a stone already ... I guess I will have to have a rethink :(

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
I really am struggling to think what meals I can have and restricting fruit too? Sorry if I seem negative and I am listening to your advice but I feel really down about all the things I can't have and I have really made big changes to my diet and lost a stone already ... I guess I will have to have a rethink :(

If you have lost a stone you are doing well. I have finely diced cauliflower instead of rice. Courgette ribbons instead of pasta. don't really do potatoes or bread now.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You can have any sort of fresh meat, any fish, eggs, cheese, butter, green veggies, salads, bacon, yogurts (plain), berries, cream, maybe a small apple, and loads of other things. There is a thread "what have you eaten today" that may give you some ideas, and plenty of ideas on the Low Carb forum. I have followed a low carb diet with increased fats and have lost 3 stones whilst keeping my BS reasonably controlled and improving.

Reactions: 4 people

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You may find the diet doctor site useful - many of the Type 2's here swear by it and it gives you clear and easy guidelines to follow:
http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf

If I had the period after my diagnosis to do over again, I'd definitely have opted for the Newcastle Diet, but I didn't find out about it or LCHF until after I'd lost weight by conventional means. However, I've found LCHF really good for weight loss maintenance - I've kept off 30lbs loss for over 2 years now.

Adele99

Sorry to hear you're struggling getting to grips with this. Seems like you're doing really well on the losing weight front so well done for that. Eating less and exercising more is the sure fire way to reduce weight.

From a blood sugar level balancing act, you need to count your carbohydrates . When. I was first diagnosed albeit as a type 1 , food wasn't labelled so you had the tedious job of looking up things in a special book. But now most foods give the number of carbs per portion or per 100g on the label, tho sometime you need to look hard for it. Set yourself a basic carb allowance per day and split it up into your 3 meals. Then if your test results are too high then you might need to consider adjusting or reducing them

I've always eaten between 20 and 30 g per meal , and allowed another 20 for things like milk or the odd snack , working out at between 90 and 110 per day. Once you've looked up the carbs on products you eat you start to remember them, so it will get easier as you go on. The LCF diet I realised isn't suitable for me unfortunately for medical reasons, otherwise I'd try it.

Rome wasn't built in a day so don't be too hard on yourself when despite best efforts your results aren't 100% normal. Just learn from it and keep going. I'm sure you'll get there.

Nyxks

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Discrimination based on gender, age, medical conditions, etc.
I'm mom's been t2 for almost 40 years and she's conciered to be "cured" however once a diabetic always a diabetic your just well controlled is all as there is no actual cure out there as yet.

My mom's a1c is 4.5 her daily average reading is 5.2 and she's 80 now and 100% diet controlled. So its possible to never need medication or insulin as a T2 and live as a non-diabetic to degrees but it takes a lot of hard work and learning what is right for your body.

My mom went vegetarian a decade ago shortly after I became diabetic myself (t1 - I'd been vegetarian a decade before developing D) she settled into having exactly 172 grams of carbs a day everyday very little variation, she has little to no spikes she might hit 5.5 but thats about the highest she hits now (that i've seen her meter read). For a senior her control is envious, I wish it was as simple for me - but where two different people with two different conditions under the same umbrella of Diabetes.

julifriend

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh, and as well as the potatoes, pasta, rice and bread, you should of course avoid sweets, crisps, cakes, biscuits and chocolates once you've worked out which ones spike your BG levels by testing. You're in a learning phase where you need to find out which foods work for you and which foods don't. It takes time but with perseverance you will get a much better understanding of what food does to your body and which ones you can tolerate.

Oh, and beer and cider are not good either, nor are most white wines. Again too much sugar in all of them.

Faithhope

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am sorry to bother you all.. But how do we go yo thread by title???

Its been month that i have change my diet from unmeasurable carb to may be 25 /80gms of carb.. Finding very difficult already on what shall be waten on lunch and dinner and i am
Surprised with apple being carb food too...

Thanks all once again for support and suggestion!!!!

Opalshards

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Liars, thieves, users, cruelty, doing the washing up. Lol
There are some low carb breads around. LivLife from Waitrose, or Burgen Bread. I buy Hovis 7 seeds wholemeal, but can only manage 1 slice with a meal, not two.

I love the Hovis 7 seeds wholemeal, I try to get the smaller loaf and have 2 slices toasted with coddled eggs on top. But I wont eat bread everyday I freeze it and get it out as I need it. You are doing really well. In my ignorance I thought Type 2s didn't need to worry it took me 6 years and the shock of being prescribed drugs instead of just diet that made me come to grips with it. I have to say ( and many wont agree) . I myself don't have a metre and don't test. I tend to know by the way I feel if something does not suit me. Be proud of you achievements.

princessleia29

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh, and as well as the potatoes, pasta, rice and bread, you should of course avoid sweets, crisps, cakes, biscuits and chocolates once you've worked out which ones spike your BG levels by testing. You're in a learning phase where you need to find out which foods work for you and which foods don't. It takes time but with perseverance you will get a much better understanding of what food does to your body and which ones you can tolerate.

Oh, and beer and cider are not good either, nor are most white wines. Again too much sugar in all of them.

Hi I have dumped all cakes, sweets and chocolates totally and I'm not a drinker really so don't even have alcohol so hopefully I am doing ok blood sugars seem good today!

zolabud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Whelks,winkles... All crustaceous seafood except prawns. Can't do crab.lobster or scallops.
Don't like the way they are killed and cooked. Save our Scallops. SOS !!!
Also HATE evaporated milk.
My levels before are generally around 6.4 and after 7-8 although I was shocked and upset tonight as it went up to 10 :(

When I was first diagnosed over a year ago I like you was shocked and scared. I got a meter and luckily my practice keeps me supplied with strips.
I quickly found out what makes me spike and I tested for a couple of days and found that 1/2 a banana in my low carb muesli breakfast made my blood sugars rocket from 6 to 15. Then I tested my scrambled egg and bacon. Without beans my readings were around 7 and with just a small amount of beans made me rocket to 15 again. It is a learning curve. What makes 1 diabetic spike may not be the same as another so testing is vital.

Don't worry. In a few months you will know what makes you spike and your worrying will decrease. But we have all been there. That's why this forum is so vital. I have been here for a while and I am not going anywhere yet.......

zolabud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Whelks,winkles... All crustaceous seafood except prawns. Can't do crab.lobster or scallops.
Don't like the way they are killed and cooked. Save our Scallops. SOS !!!
Also HATE evaporated milk.
Is there a more suitable type of bread? Thanks all

Burgen is supposed to be low carb. You can buy Burgen bread from Iceland for £1 a loaf. I don't have an Iceland near me . I have a Tesco so I buy Vogels wholegrain bread. At least I like Vogels. I didn't like Burgen. It tasted very dry in comparison. Wholemeal bread may cause a spike. Wholegrain is the way to go. Although last week I relented and bought 4 Tiger rolls from Tesco and they were LOVELY. I treat myself now and again but not often. I have to be careful with fruits too as quite a few make me spike. Tonight I am having a baked potato but again that is a rare treat. I miss my beetroot too. I always buy plain beetroot. Not the sort that's pickled in vinegar. I spiked after eating that too.... Moderation. And the odd treat won't matter too much.

Terrytiddy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi princesslea29 We have all been where you are so you are not alone. The best thing you have done is join this group:) I have had type 2 since 2009 and didn't do a lot. I joined this group a couple of months ago and it changed everything for me. Great advice, help, information and above all plenty of support. I started the LCHF regime about 4 weeks ago and have been getting great results. If you click on Forum, then on Low carb forum, then on to Vivs Modified Atkins Diet that will help you with different foods. It is confusing at first but you will get through it with all the help and support from this group. You only have to ask and people will help. Good luck and welcome to the "Family" :clown:

Last edited by a moderator:

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
That is brilliant well done :) may I ask how long it took you? Did you have to lose weight? How much exercise do you do?
Sorry I missed some of that out. My HbA1c dropped from 67 to 38 in under 4 months and I lost over 4 stone in the Same period. Several of the people here have done similar or better.